www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ATI, BHJ, etc....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:05 pm 

I was looking at balancers & harmonic dampers and noticed BHJ is very expensive, more so than an ATI. I've only had Romac and ATI so was thinking about a BHJ but wow, that's a costly item...starting around $600.00 for a 351c. That's the price on their website but I cant imagine them being much cheaper from a dealer. What do you guys use?

Div1Racer

Post subject: Re: ATI, BHJ, etc....
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:46 pm 

I like ATI.
I think the BHJ is way overpriced.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:55 pm 

For street/strip stuff, I'll use Powerbond or Romac. For 100% race stuff, I'll use an ATI.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:31 pm 

I've used the Powerbond and Romac as well as ATI and Innovators West with mostly similar results. Personally I think that most aftermarket balancer applications are little more than guesswork and I do think that a bonded elastometer damper is more effective than the ATI in some cases from what I've seen.

My friend Wes runs big Ford engines in his "creations" and with an ATI damper the bolt was always coming loose on a 582 inch engine with a 4.500 stroke Scat forged crank making about 1050 horsepower. I happened to have a Ford Racing damper that came from a 514 crate engine. With that damper on his engine the bolt stays tight.

On a big Ford build that I did a couple of years ago, 598 making 1030 horsepower I used an Innovators West friction damper and it has not been a problem even after a couple of hundred 1/4 mile passes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 pm 

blykins wrote:
For street/strip stuff, I'll use Powerbond or Romac. For 100% race stuff, I'll use an ATI.

Same here.
The ATI stuff seems nice enough but are double the cost of a Romac or Powerbond.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:18 pm 

What...no love for a Fluidampr or TCI Rattler?
Dave mentioned a balancer bolt coming loose. I remember some guys having issues with a bolt coming out and losing a damper at the track. If I remember correctly in both cases it was Fluidampr balancers.

Div1Racer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:46 am 

div1racer wrote:
What...no love for a Fluidampr or TCI Rattler?
Dave mentioned a balancer bolt coming loose. I remember some guys having issues with a bolt coming out and losing a damper at the track. If I remember correctly in both cases it was Fluidampr balancers.

Div1Racer

I think that the fluid type of dampers are good in applications where the RPM of the engine tends to be really steady. My friend had problems with the bolt coming loose when using the ATI. That was on a big Ford with a 4.500 inch stroke making a bunch of power. With that said I've had good results from the ATI in a circle track application with an inch less stroke and a much much lighter overall assembly. Your mileage may vary and that's why I think that all of this aftermarket damper stuff is nothing more than guesswork/try it and see.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:54 am 

If I remember correctly (possibly not), the fluid type dampers were originally built for diesel engines. They were meant for something that did not rev quickly, something that ran low rpms, and something that ran at a steady rpm for a long time (basically the same stuff already Dave said.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:00 pm 

kv racing wrote:
If I remember correctly (possibly not), the fluid type dampers were originally built for diesel engines. They were meant for something that did not rev quickly, something that ran low rpms, and something that ran at a steady rpm for a long time (basically the same stuff already Dave said.)

Back in 1993 i made my first venture into "Cup" land. I'll have to dig through my pictures but I'm pretty sure that I saw a LOT of those engines with Fluidampr dampers.

I have a few customers with jet boats that have those Fluid dampers on their engines because they had one or it came with a bunch of parts. They have never had a problem either but they tend to run the engine at one RPM for long periods and never over about 5500rpm.