www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:11 pm 

Just to close out this thread, that tapping sound was the #3 piston slapping the head. :x Spun rod bearing chewed up to almost nothing. The engine was probably seconds away from being a grenade.
The main bearings looked terrible in the middle of the block around #2, #3, #6, #7. Seems like those bearings might not have been getting enough oil. I haven't modified the oil passageways yet to restrict flow to the cam bearings, but plan to do so as part of the re-build.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:00 am 

Sorry to hear that, man.

I will say this though......that result was not because the cam bearings were not restricted. As a matter of fact, this was probably something on a much larger scale: bearing clearances too tight, engine ran without oil (or started first time without priming oil pump), too much pickup/pan clearance, cracked crankshaft, etc. It's also possible that the rod bearing failed and then dumped metal into the oil, which took out the rest of the bearings.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:41 am 

Thanks a lot for the ideas! I primed the oil with my drill, but did that the day before I started for the first time, instead of doing it right before the first crank. I guess the oil might have all drained down. I did not check any of the bearing clearances or pickup/pan distance. I will check these things this time, though. Do you have a recommendation for bottom of pickup-to-pan distance? I believe the bottom of my pickup has a foot that comes down - should that foot be resting on the pan? It's a 7-quart Milodon pan, FYI.

I'm having the crank magnafluxed, so expect them to find any cracks if they exist. As you might expect, the journals where the rods connect at #3 and #7 require repair. Should I insist that they check the balance afterwards, with the damper and flywheel attached?

Do you always blueprint a new oil pump before using? I've seen where others strongly recommend doing so. They also recommend the high flow oil pumps. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:11 am 

We all learn from our mistakes. I'm not digging on you, but you always check bearing clearances and the pickup clearance. Those are two very important things that have to be checked and adjusted if necessary.

I like to see pickup clearance around 5/16"-3/8". I use Milodon a lot and like their pans, but I've checked pickup clearance on some combos and have seen 5/8-3/4". I had to tweak the pickup.

You won't need to rebalance.

You also don't need a HV pump. A standard pressure, standard volume will do very well on a street engine as long as the bearing clearances are in check.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:47 pm 

Thanks! I'm definitely learning a lot....