www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Finally an update!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:45 pm 

Very cool build. I would like to build a similar combo in the future, collecting parts. As you said, I want to replicate a similar pro stock build. I have too many irons in the fire. No hurry for me. Great work in progress

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:04 pm 

nova467spanker wrote:
so how much was it to have them put the Hi Ports on?

I bought the plates at Price Motorsport for $300.00 and they cut the heads for a little less than that. The price does not include any porting, etc only cutting and fitting the plate to the head.
http://pricemotorsport.com/

Div1Racer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:11 pm 

DragBoss wrote:
Very cool build. I would like to build a similar combo in the future, collecting parts. As you said, I want to replicate a similar pro stock build. I have too many irons in the fire. No hurry for me. Great work in progress

Thanks. It's definitely not a 'period correct' pro stocker as you can see by the paint scheme but that's the way it looked when I got it. If I keep it long enough it would most likely receive a repaint with something a bit more 70's, Cragar Super Trick's and a snorkel hood scoop but as for now it is what it is.

Div1Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:48 am 

I am not one of those guys that think every paint mark, and correct bolt matter. The thing will haul the mail and be period correct to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:32 pm 

Okay, I've gotten my heads back and they look great. I had Snyders Performance just outside of York, Pa. finish them. Big thumbs up to Ben Snyder who did an outstanding job. He's very knowledgeable and just a real good guy. Currently I'm still waiting for the other machine shop (which is ran by a friend of over 30 years) to finish up the block, order pistons, etc.

So here is my next question. In keeping with the 70's High Port Pro Stock theme I'm using a pair of 1050 Dominators atop an Edelbrock UR-19 Tunnel Ram. I'm ready to rebuild the carbs but what should I do besides installing the rebuild kits. Any tricks on any or all the circuits? I know a fellow racer who slides a piece of guitar string in the idle circuit(?) to limit fuel. He read that in Hot Rod magazine and claims it works well for him.....Not so sure I'll go that route. I know, I know, I've heard various crazy stories about what folks do to their carbs and other parts of their car that leaves me scratching my head sometimes.
Basically I'm no dummy about a Holley but I'm no 'guru' either so what do 'they' (the carb experts like Chuck Nuytten) do when making giant carbs work on a small engine? I'm trying to do as much as I can to keep costs down but would I be better off sending them to someone like Chuck and allowing him to perform his black magic on my dommies? Anyone have some advice or a crazy story to share?

Thanks, Div1Racer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:21 pm 

Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:43 pm 

div1racer wrote:
Okay, I've gotten my heads back and they look great. I had Snyders Performance just outside of York, Pa. finish them. Big thumbs up to Ben Snyder who did an outstanding job. He's very knowledgeable and just a real good guy. Currently I'm still waiting for the other machine shop (which is ran by a friend of over 30 years) to finish up the block, order pistons, etc.

So here is my next question. In keeping with the 70's High Port Pro Stock theme I'm using a pair of 1050 Dominators atop an Edelbrock UR-19 Tunnel Ram. I'm ready to rebuild the carbs but what should I do besides installing the rebuild kits. Any tricks on any or all the circuits? I know a fellow racer who slides a piece of guitar string in the idle circuit(?) to limit fuel. He read that in Hot Rod magazine and claims it works well for him.....Not so sure I'll go that route. I know, I know, I've heard various crazy stories about what folks do to their carbs and other parts of their car that leaves me scratching my head sometimes.
Basically I'm no dummy about a Holley but I'm no 'guru' either so what do 'they' (the carb experts like Chuck Nuytten) do when making giant carbs work on a small engine? I'm trying to do as much as I can to keep costs down but would I be better off sending them to someone like Chuck and allowing him to perform his black magic on my dommies? Anyone have some advice or a crazy story to share?

Thanks, Div1Racer.

Restricting the idle feed would probably be a good idea to help keep the engine trimmed out not so much at idle but when you start to tip in the throttles and get some more transition slot exposed. Most of the time I try about a .013 wire which would be a B string in a set of 10's or try using a single strand from some electrical wire it is usually around that size. Try putting it in all 8 restrictions and see how it reacts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:18 am 

Thanks Dave!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:09 pm 

Hey guys, no I didn't give up and I didn't disappear...The good news is my engine was finally freed from machine shop prison!!!!! :D :D :D
A good friend started doing the work but his helper quit and then business actually picked up at the beginning of the Covid outbreak so he was swamped. He said if I'd like to take it elsewhere feel free as he knew I wanted it back. I took everything to Snyders Performance in Pa. and Ben finished it up. Great guy and he does top notch work, hopefully, it will hit the strip in the spring.

Div1Racer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:03 am 

That's great news. I had to change shops a couple of years ago because the one I had been using kind of went thru the same thing, except after all his help quit, the one helper he had left just didnt want to do any real work (other than turning rotors and surfacing heads) so stuff would sit around for months. I found a different shop that actually wants to do work, and on top of it, they are good at it.