www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Newbie with a dilemma
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:11 pm 

Greetings all...have been lurking for some time gleaning some really good info. I am a newbie to the forum. Currently building a 351c. Using the early 4v quench heads, 10/10 crank, 2 bolt block, Speed pro flat tops, .20 over, Comp hydraulic roller, 3/8 pushrods, Lunati roller lift, single plane man, 750 DP Holley. Largely stock with no oiling mods. All going into a 65 Cyclone with a C6 auto and 4:11 Locker 9"...Using a good bit of fiberglass panels. Hoping it comes in around 3100 lbs. Might even consider a straight axle/ gasser. My dilemma; I will be using the C6 which is currently bolted to a 351w. Would like to run it on the engine stand. Will be modifying stand to a test stand to ensure everything is good prior to dropping it in the car. I scrounged an old C4 bellhousing for mock up. Using the 28 oz 164 tooth flexplate. Powermaster says they can match up a starter to whatever my setup may be. My C4 bellhousing reads : RF-D5ZP-7976-AA...Am afraid that any starter I purchase that is used with the C4 won't work with the C6 requiring another starter purchase, yikes!....$$$$$......Thinking I may have to remove current C6 and mock it up with the engine just to be safe but that might be abit of a hillbilly rig but do able. I understand that the whole flexplate to bellhousing issue is a big headache and I'm getting a lot of conflicting advice. Kind of at a cross roads on direction. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks to all in advance. Acknowledge that there are 2 types of C4 bellhousing......take care...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:37 pm 

Welcome to the site. So let me get this strait, you still want to put the c6 in the car but you want to run the engine on an engine stand and you want to use a c4 bell housing so you can start the engine. That's the way I read it.

If that's the case then that's easy. If your engine is 28oz balanced then all you have to do is get a 302 flexplate with the same 28oz balance (not a 5.0) . If your engine will be 0 balanced then use a 0 balance flexplate. When I dumped the FMX out of my 70 Cougar, I did just what I said. My original 362C is 28oz balanced. I bought a new factory replacement 302 flexplate (NOT a 5.0 fuel injected because those are 50oz balanced) and put it on. Then put the '69 c4 trans on and used a 5.0 starter. The Cleveland starter and most likely the 351W starter is physically bigger. 5.0 starter has more torque than an older 302 starter. Raced this combo for many years and shifted at 6400 every time. Engine still runs, just in 2013 I replaced it with the more powerful 359C. This combo has the same kinda set up but I put a new SFI Pioneer 28oz balancer , SFI TCI 28oz flexplate and this Powermaster starter. 6600rpm every time.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9503/make/ford

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:39 am 

Personally, I would put a C4 in that car. It will be a solid 3 tenths quicker and weighs less. By time you spend the money to make the C6 not be such a power hungry, sloppy in to high gear shifter, you could have built/bought a decent C4 that will live a long time in that car. We spent a fair amount of money on the C6 I started off with when I first began racing, and we never could get it to shift in to high gear the way we wanted. It always had a "flare" to it. We stuck a C4 in the car, and not only was it quicker, but it shifted way better. FYI, that car ended up running 10.80s in really good air and weighed 3500 lbs.
As for starters, I've run factory 5.0 starters (just tell your autoparts store you need one from a 93 F150 with a 5.8), and I have had minimal issues from them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:35 pm 

All, thanks for the input. My trans guy insists that a C4 won't stand up to the Clev without a bunch of work and bucks. Says he can put a kit in the C6 for a better setup but now I'm contemplating a competition C4 for better all around purpose. Hmmmmmm....
For the meantime, guess I better pick a route and stick with it. Any suggestions on C4's? Jegs?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:35 pm 

I bought the 1975 c4 in my car now for for $150. Put alto red clutches with kolene steels, PA planetary without sun, PA servo kit, PA 26 spline input shaft, TCI kevlar band and manual reverse valve body. My buddy built it for $50. He said it will take 700-800hp all day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:43 pm 

I think it's funny how transmission guys think 450 hp from a cleveland is somehow more destructive than 450 hp from a windsor.

I would put a good input shaft in it, a good valve body, upgrade the drum and add some clutches, a good servo with a billet cover, and call it a day. That's all not required, but is good insurance. The windsor in our street car (70 mustang fastback, weighs about 3100), has a c4 behind it. It's been high 7.40s in good air, and it is a pretty basic transmission outside of the manual valve body, extra clutches and good band.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:34 pm 

kv racing

true about the c4 parts list. I only put the PA planetary in it because I have seen what happens to the stock 3 pin junk vs the PA 6 pin. Yes it was $300 but my buddy said that part is always overlooked on making a more dependable transmission. He said the SUN is not as big a problem on a c4 like on a turbo350.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:44 am 

I did tear up one 3 pin planetary in my C4 after about 10 years, and eventually bought a new 6 pin for it, but never used it. I switched to a glide shortly after buying the new planetary, so it's still sitting in the box on the shelf.