www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:11 pm 

Ok, so far I've had no one interested in buying the 354C. Even pitched it to a few local drag racers and even offered it as a lease. It just doesn't fit their needs at the time.

So....

It's going to continue as a dyno mule for a while. Knowledge and experience is worth something.

The oil pan finish completely wipes off. I have no clue why, but I talked to Milodon today and they are going to send me a new oil pan, free of charge. Excellent customer service.

Since the pan is off and I have to replace the front timing cover seal, I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and send the heads/intake to Mr. Mayfield and have them gone through. Adding head/intake flow would be an excellent A-B test and we may make this a perpetual Cleveland experiment on gaining horsepower....until something breaks. Since I have to strip the heads down, it would be a good time to throw the springs back in the tester and make sure that they haven't lost any spring pressure. I recorded each one as I normally do when I assemble a race engine, so it will be neat to see if they repeatedly handled that much lift at 8500 rpm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:15 am 

Is it stupid of me to aim for 2 hp/ci? :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:58 am 

This should be interesting Brent. As for shooting for 2 HP/CI stupid? No! It will be worth seeing what the stock block will take.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:56 pm 

Gday Brent
Go for it i reckon! Were at 1.84hp / cube with ours so far, remains to be seen whether going roller will pick us up.
Methanol will gain you big time, years ago on mine between ms109 and alcohol i picked up 70 ft/lb and 50 hp withthe alcohol.
Cast iron 4 v"s are perfect for it, will bring peak hp rpm down as well a good amount
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:01 pm 

Ok, heads and intake are off. Heads are stripped. Oil pan is off to send back to Milodon. Since the pan is off, I pulled a couple of bearing caps to check the bearings. The oil filter was spotless, so I wasn't expecting any drama, but the bearings look brand new. You can see my mic tracks on the main bearing and the rod bearings look like they just came out of the box. That was 14-15 pulls at 8500 rpm, with a standard volume/standard pressure pump.

The main caps look like they have been moving though. :( I don't know how much more the block can take, so I'm going to think about my options.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:25 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:13 pm 

If the main caps are starting to move I think you have reached the limit of this block.
I'd be tempted to stop now and not risk scattering a bunch of good parts.
I don't have any use for the salvage :lol:
garyv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:38 pm 

Yep, I'm at 1.84 too. Those bearings look flawless. Nice job, what were your clearances Brent, specifically, mains, rods, ring end gaps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:48 pm 

Gday Brent,
Dont panic, you are nowhere near tbe limits of a decent block with good machining.
Dont know what youve done but the caps need a good 45 degree chamfer around the stud hole on the mating face, 4 or 5 mm wide or so.
If you are using studs what tension and what lube are you using? This is critical !
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:28 pm 

DragBoss wrote:
Yep, I'm at 1.84 too. Those bearings look flawless. Nice job, what were your clearances Brent, specifically, mains, rods, ring end gaps.

Mains were .0031-.0033". Rods were .0019-.0021". Crank thrust was .0055".

Ring gaps were .020"/.030".

After rings were seated, break-away torque is 120 lb-in. Rotating torque is 90 lb-in.

I need to throw a couple of valve springs back in the tester to see if I lost any spring pressure. I suspect not though.

Paul, I used the same techniques with this one as all my race engines. I had to bag the short block back up after I got the pan off of it, someone came over to bring me some parts. It looked like the cap was moving, but I'll go back and take another look at it when I'm not in a hurry.

If I decide to have at it again, I may see if Randy can make me some more pistons and aim for about 14-14.5:1. I'd really like to see 700 hp out of this thing.