www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:14 pm 

Rod:
It was about 50 and humidity around 40%. It may be a little of both. Read on...

All.
Well I put in new Autolite 25's and rolled it out of the garage and fired it up. NO smoke on startup, but after about a minute and a little revving, got a little blue smoke out the back. ( I had my son film it on his phone and confirm color ) It was nothing like the day before. so Dave might have been right about it being old oil. But the thing is, it DOES still have a little smoke coming out. And after it warmed up a bit, there was moisture coming out of the tailpipe, primarily on the left side, but also a little on the right. It showed up as a wet spot on the driveway. (made sure it was water, and not fuel with a lighter...) For now, I'll dial the blood pressure back a bit, and give it some time and concentrate on tuning. I did have to adjust float level a bit, and vacuum seems to have improved a bit since the last time it was running. Once I get it licensed and insured and can get it out to get things broke in, hopefully it will improve.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:30 pm 

Water coming out the tail pipes is normal when cold.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:51 pm 

The muffler on the left side of the engine was one that had been filled with coolant one time or another. In this video it had been run for a few minutes so it wasn't totally warmed up yet.

https://youtu.be/tyYXcTY_4ws

Here is a video of a pull on the engine after some more run time under load so the mufflers are pretty hot. See how much the left side muffler is "smoking"? Then once the pull starts it sort of stops smoking I guess just from the volume of exhaust that's passing through the muffler only to start up again after the engine slows down and idles. It did this a few times before it finally got cleaned out from the heat.

https://youtu.be/t7-SOWlN9qI

Some of that is also steam/vapor from the dyno absorber and cooling tower water drain.