www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Engine Build
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:23 pm 

All of my personal stuff peaks at 7000-8000 LOL....

I will have to admit though, I find it refreshing when guys admit that they are focused on mid range because they spend most of their driving there. A lot of guys just want peak hp and lots of it.

The duration and LSA are pretty wrong with that shelf cam. That's the beauty of a custom that's matched to the cylinder heads. Lots of unnecessary overlap with a big duration split, narrow LSA, and low rpm requirements coupled with a high velocity head make for an inefficient and dirty engine.

The dyno sim said that Chris Straub's camshaft would be 20 hp over the one I had chosen, but it turned out to be 28 hp down in real life. It seems like the sims work well for the cookie-cutter engines, but they struggle with engines that are out of the ordinary. Cleveland heads are definitely out of the ordinary. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:02 pm 

My 359c with out of box TRICK FLOW 225 heads and matching intake and a 750 Mighty Demon with a custom solid flat cam from Bullet Cams (that Brent spected for me and thank you) layed down 520hp at 6300 and 450tq at 5600. When I gave Brent my specs I said i would like the power to peek around 6500 cause I have a stock crank externally balanced. Now I don't know what it does after 6300 but i shift at 6600 and it keeps pulling. Cam specs are 239/243 at .05 .611/605 lift before valve adjustment. I believe it's on a 107 lobe. Oh and the flow sheet Total Engine Airflow sent with my heads said they flow 355 at .600 intake and 249 at .600 exhaust. Brent said he has seen closer to 320-330 with the TRICK Flows but I don't remember if he tested the 225 cnc like mine or the 195 cnc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:08 am 

Hi guy's,

thanks for your commanty and feedback.
The carb isn't really an issue as there is a 750'er Holley also available in my stock.

A friend of mine is selling Howards Hyd. link bar roller lifters and I almost buy them.
But Following you discussion I'm not that convinced to continoue with a roller cam. If I reduce the duration and lift and go to a smoother (wider) LSA I really see no benefit for a roller cam. The advantage of a roller is that you can go more agressiv in terms of lift, duration and LSA.

A comp cams is cunrrently offered in my area
Camshaft, 284HR, Magnum, Hydraulic Roller, 284/284-224/224-.566/.566 110 LSA but compare to the Howards the RPM range is 2000- 5500 RPM. But if I get you right this cam is still to big for my application.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:13 am 

and what the h... is a cookie cutter engine?
as you might already understand, I'm not a native speaker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:53 am 

The beauty of a roller cam at this rpm level is the fact that you don't have to break the cam in. You will probably not see any power increases over a flat tappet with this engine, but a flat tappet cam needs a 20-25 minute break-in period, where a roller cam doesn't need anything.

The 284HR isn't really too high in duration, but would most likely peak a little higher than what you're wanting for a focus on low/mid range horsepower/torque.

Let me see if I can define a cookie cutter engine...

A cookie cutter is obviously a cutter that you use to cut out cookie dough so that every cookie looks exactly the same. So, a cookie cutter engine is an engine that is mass produced with universal parts so that it looks and functions like other engines. Not custom.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:20 pm 

Hey guys, I've just built a combo that uses the 284HR roller along well th the following bits.

RPM 3.5 crank
Scat 6 inch rods
SRP forged slugs
Isky EZX solid lifters( yes, solids on a Hyd roller core)
Extensively ported 2v closed chambered heads
Edelbrock performer,match ported.
650 DP
C4 box
9 inch 4.11 gears

This build was done with bits n pieces I've collected over the last couple of years. Rear gearing is not really suited to the car but it does have more than enough poke for a cruiser.

I was too much of a tightarse to pop for a set of Hyd roller lifters on this combo so I used what I had.
Probably not much noisier than a set of morel Hyd rollers anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 am 

I never had much luck with the Performer intake for 2v heads. I ran it on a motor where I had done a touch of port work to the heads. It seemed to run ok, but I ended swapping some spare parts for a new Weiand Xcellorator intake, and without changing anything else, the car picked up almost 4 tenths in the 1/4. It wasn't a hi rpm motor either, I was only shifting at 5800.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:08 am 

here is another girnd which seems to suitable for my build.

Howards (CL233215-10)
Advertised duration 270/278, Lift: .571 / .577, Duration @ .050: 217 / 225, Centerline: 106, LSA 110
If I got it right, the overlap is about 54 degrees.

The higher lift will help to get the "max." out of the heads w/o keeping duration too high (avoiding to offset the power curve to the high rpm). The 110 LSA will ensure the engine keep there balls but impacting the steetability too much I hope.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:16 am 

Way too much duration split for a CHI head. A factory head needs 8 degrees of split. A CHI head needs 0, 2, or 4 depending on the application. Overlap is fighting you here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:37 am 

hi Brent,

send you a PM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next