www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:00 am 

Brent we were running 1 3/4 tube header on 4v port. Huge mismatch which usually blow out gaskets. Pierre noticed the a/f but our temps were in line. He changed a sensor on left bank think that was it. Then we notced the leaking gaskets so he figured we had the issue there. We then continued our runs basically following egts to back up our jetting. The motor is jetted very safe so yes a fair bit more power left on tap. Note all runs done withe edelbrock Torker and no spacer. Spacer lost power.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:11 am 

wrobinson wrote:
Steve.k wrote:
blykins wrote:
A/F ratio rich enough to oink at you.

I bet that engine would have liked about 42 degrees total timing.

A/f ratio was out do to header leaks. We brought timing up 2* at a time till it dropped off 36* was where it was happy.Not our first dyno session,and my dyno guy is very knowledgeable

Yes, I read the post of the above build. The build absolutely mimics my build with compression, D3ZE heads, and use of hydraulic camshaft. I also read the lifters were bad and changed out for solids. The build said they used an XE274 Comp hydraulic.

Yes our lifters went south so we changed to solids on advice from comp. This cam was specd by owner and wasn't my first choice. However the cam surprised me, even has decent tq down low for decent street running. I would think air gap would offer more low end tq but give up hp up top. In my view if you have torker try it first before you buy another. Very underated manifold the Torker!In all my dyno runs I've done never had one over36*. My chi 4v liked 28*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:45 am 

Attachment:
IMG_2262.PNG
IMG_2262.PNG [ 194.38 KiB | Viewed 1935 times ]
t] Here is your heads out of box. This was from flow bench guy before he fired up grinder!Very impressive!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 pm 

I just wish someone would tell him how to spell Cleveland. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:10 pm 

With his knowledge of heads i dont pester him much.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:35 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_2264.PNG
IMG_2264.PNG [ 197.1 KiB | Viewed 1908 times ]
here is some typical flow from 2v and 4v heads. Ported and non. The 4v is 2.19 and 1.71 valves. These are conclusive to testing I've had done. While we have not done a max effort on small valve we have got the 2.19 up to 368@.600 without bringing volumes up to high in cc!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:09 am 

Seems like he knows what he's doing with a grinder. Is the 2v data 2v port/valves or is it the 4v port/2v valves? Same question with the 4v stuff? I know you were experimenting with the OC 4v port small valve head but I don't remember if you changed it over to the larger valves in the process. The 4v is an unfilled intake port, unraised exhaust right?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:03 am 

All the data except the last one which i got off 351c.net are for the d3 head. Open chamber small valve. The head guy never worked on cleveland heads before he started on mine. I sent him a set I ported myself to start and we've progressed from there. Since then hes done numerous sets for me and others. We recently experimented with work we received info on by a super stock racer. We did our testing on a wrecked oc head i had and found out that the oc head outflows the closed chamber in nearly every way. We were never able to duplicate the flow of the oc head which was not ported. Even after porting the closed chamber we couldn't get the flow the same.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:56 pm 

Flow numbers alone do not make a race engine. I have had a couple of occasions where "professional porters" have given me 20 or more CFM and the ET slip didn't care. I have yet to see a flow bench that needs drag slicks. There are talented individuals that port high HP heads that have never been on a flow bench.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:25 pm 

All true Randy! I posted this info cause there seems to be a lot of confusion on the small valve 4v head. One thing is poor flow in the .500-.600 range. Just not true according to bench! In fact it seems to shine in that area. Another is that doesn't equate to hp? Well i say our dyno test proves that wrong also. And even makes decent power in lower rpm ranges! All good for street motor. Can the 4v cc head offer more hp?Maybe!But he has good parts utilize them!I just had a go around on speedtalk about how poor the Cleveland was on street.Ya right, thats why the Boss351 made the top 50 muscle cars of all time. Doggy street performance my ***!I for years thought these heads were not that good until i built a mud race motor for a guy with these heads. He has a wall of trophies that had is all scratching our heads. Then there's cam choice, I beleive the one choice this fella picked was more than adequate. Can Brent improve it? Likely! But the op never asked for that he was asking opinions on those grinds.Even the generic grind from comp worked well for us even though their lifters are junk.Im willing to bet the combo we built would make him very happy. But hey refine it and make it better! He has a good start lets see how it is when finished!Ive had stock eliminator guys coming over to look at my head assortment. They were looking for the d3ze heads. I couldn't ever wonder why. Now I know!The street force cam 3 he talks about is not bad in my books. However i like them on a 108 set on 104. But thats me!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next