www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Cam selection help?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:06 pm 

I will let you know right now i run that #2 cam in wifes 70 cougar with 2v heads and 9:1 flat tops. Been in car for 14 years and works well.We run a 780 holley and its a smooth running engine. If i was building 4v heads i would definitely ramp it up. The no.3 is not a bad looking cam if you can get reasonable. Everyones street performance requirements are different so you have to decide how far you wanna go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:36 pm 

Yes number 2 seemed like a good one when I was still building it 2V. To me that was a big cam! I usually build engines near stock. These 4V heads just have so much potential that when I got them I decided I wanted to go bigger. The high compression is my only real concern. I run 93 octane in all my classic builds. I don't want to have to run octane booster as well just to keep out of detonation.

I found a near identical cam except it's flat tappet. The dynamic compression calculators says it will be higher than the ones I already have though.

https://howardscams.com/i-24077003-howa ... shaft.html

I have a 750 sitting on the shelf but it is for my 428 CJ build. Which is going back near stock in my '68 Torino.

I am looking at a Blue thunder intake but I will settle for the stocker for now!

Again thanks everyone! I am always out to learn and I would definitely like to get this right the first time. I

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:53 pm 

In all honesty I was going to try the #2 cam with a set of 4v. I think it would work just fine. The wife likes the way the car runs as is so i said I'd leave as is. Someone has likely ran that with 4v heads. You could definitely go faster with new style hyd roller but your right its extra money.The howards cam looks good also. Realistically you can get a cam specd for your car from anyone for nearly the price of the howards. If you dont plan on the reasonably priced cams you have i think i would lean that way. I think the last flat tappet custom order I bought was around 200us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:12 am 

A moderately sized flat tappet would have to be eyeballed pretty closely to make sure it works with the compression ratio.

That Howards flat tappet cam isn't bad, but you'd have to retard it quite a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:45 pm 

Ran my old 3514v with many different cams... The girls liked the old melling rv cam the best..........Dont know the specs....it was cheap and I had NO money.
You Didn't need to down shift much with that one.
4th gear take offs at the lights was not a problem for the girls.
Still have it in the pile of long bumpy things.....

Good times!!