www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:51 pm 

Been meaning to start a build thread for this one as well, as it's for a forum member.

Jim sent me a really cherry 4 bolt block to use. It's currently standard bore and sonic'd really well. It's got some old-school Roush steel straps across the tops of the caps; something that you don't see too often anymore. It's been align honed already and we're converting it to a one-piece rear main seal. Since we are using Racetec pistons, the block will be honed just enough to make sure the cylinders are straight and round. With the presence of custom quality pistons, there's no need to go .030" or .040" anymore.

Crank and rods will be a steel Scat 4" piece and I already have the Molnar rods here.

Jim's CHI 4V heads arrived yesterday and I'll be doing a valve job on those and getting them ready to assemble in the next week or two.

I will be posting build photos as the build progresses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:43 am 

Hi Brent, hope the heads arrived in one piece. I spent a lot of time packing them to survive the trip. Thanks for doing this!

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:28 am 

For those that are interested, this is the Mustang it's going in.

Attachments:
Harpoon67.jpg
Harpoon67.jpg [ 96.36 KiB | Viewed 1680 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:24 pm 

4 speed?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:53 pm 

Actually a 5 speed. T5 with G Force internals.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:17 am 

Got a shipment of cranks in on Monday. Yours was one of them...

Cam is here.

Springs/retainers/etc. will be here today or tomorrow and the heads should be ready to assemble this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:58 am 

Nice, a std. bore block. Can you share the sonic results? I've found, long ago now on 351C's, that #5's non-thrust wall (3 o'clock, between #5 and #6) was always the thinnest one. Be interesting to see if this block is similar.

blykins wrote:
Been meaning to start a build thread for this one as well, as it's for a forum member.

Jim sent me a really cherry 4 bolt block to use. It's currently standard bore and sonic'd really well. It's got some old-school Roush steel straps across the tops of the caps; something that you don't see too often anymore. It's been align honed already and we're converting it to a one-piece rear main seal. Since we are using Racetec pistons, the block will be honed just enough to make sure the cylinders are straight and round. With the presence of custom quality pistons, there's no need to go .030" or .040" anymore.

Crank and rods will be a steel Scat 4" piece and I already have the Molnar rods here.

Jim's CHI 4V heads arrived yesterday and I'll be doing a valve job on those and getting them ready to assemble in the next week or two.

I will be posting build photos as the build progresses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:03 am 

I don't think I kept them. Jim had the block sonic'd by another shop before he sent it down and I just re-checked it to make sure my results jived. Maybe Jim can post the results he had from the shop up there.

In my experience, they're all thin....LOL

My 354ci Cleveland that made 620 hp had one cylinder that was .050" thick, with a standard bore.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:18 am 

They are all thin! How true!

blykins wrote:
I don't think I kept them. Jim had the block sonic'd by another shop before he sent it down and I just re-checked it to make sure my results jived. Maybe Jim can post the results he had from the shop up there.

In my experience, they're all thin....LOL

My 354ci Cleveland that made 620 hp had one cylinder that was .050" thick, with a standard bore.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:12 am 

Sonic test. Unfortunately the machine shop only did the major and minor thrust. They were suppose to do all sides but for some reason they didn't. I sent the block to Brent and he checked the other sides when he got it. Brent said the thinnest reading he got was .130.

Attachments:
351C block sonic test.jpg [143.22 KiB]
Not downloaded yet