www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:36 am 

When I got the call originally for this example engine I was told that they wanted something that would idle and drive well on the street in a Pantera using the Pantera style exhaust, fitting under an existing low hood etc. The modified RPM Air Gap fit with a 1 inch spacer because when the engine came in it had a Torker with a 1 inch also that had been fitting and that was the same height. I have a Blue Thunder here right now and if you straight edge it it measures 5 3/16 at the back and 4 7/16 in the front high. I don't know how that compares to the Air Gap but that would be my choice over the Blue Thunder if it would fit.

The example engine was making 530lbs/ft at 3500rpm during my testing but I didn't record any pulls lower than that RPM. I did run it down to 2500wot to make sure that it would ratchet or do anything nasty if it was floored that low in high gear. Torque stayed above 500lbs/ft to 5050rpm which I think is running pretty well. This was with 32 degrees of timing which proved best. This engine idles at 900rpm with 16 inches of vacuum and a reasonable lope. I don't think I could make this a whole lot better without quite a bit of work.

If I had an unlimited amount of time it would have been fun to test a set of the CHI's to see how they ran maybe they would be better, maybe not. Either way I can't see how the difference would be a whole lot one way or the other.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:23 pm 

Dave,
Is that straight edge from the carb flange to the bottom of the intake port flange? I just want to make sure I make the same measurement on my stock cast iron 4V manifold. I'll try to do that tonight when I get home.

And just for the record.... I'm sure like many of you, if it weren't for work, I'd get a whole lot more hobby done.
;)

https://www.facebook.com/asajaysracingforautism

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:06 pm 

Those measurements are taken as if you put a straight edge across the carburetor pad and then measured to the bottom of the intake manifold where it lines up with the China wall at each end. I measured it by flipping the intake upside down on a flat surface and then measuring up to the intake using a tape measure. Those same dimensions are in the Edelbrock catalog where they describe their intake manifolds. This can be handy when figuring out whether or not something will fit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:29 am 

Thanks Dave, I usually haven't had to worry about this, but now with fitting this under a Ram Air hood in a Mach I, things are different. I've also been hanging out in a 71-73 Mustang forum and from feedback there, the Blue Thunder is taller than stock and requires a mod to the air cleaner for clearance to the Ram Air hood. Fairly simple mod but does require cutting and welding the cleaner (repos are available from Dynacorn).

Next Question:
I've seen Dan Jones comment about how the BT intake has some runners that are non-optimal and require porting or some kind of machining. Is that true of all BT intakes (of that model) or just that one in particular (from Mike's engine)? If they all suffer from that, what work is needed to correct that? Is it porting or extrude honing? Is that something you do along with flow testing the manifold?

I'm still leaning toward a 408 stroker with a hydraulic cam. I'm now leaning toward either the Trick-flow 225 or the CHI 4V, even though from the reported numbers here, the TrickFlow 195 appear to have similar flow to the CHI 4V.

It's more than likely I'd end up purchasing bare heads and have a shop (either Dave or Brent) build them with the proper valves, springs, etc. I just need to get to the right choices to get started.

Thank you,
Asa Jay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:39 pm 

Another interesting option to consider for the build would be to use the Scott Cook heads and intake manifold. They look exactly like stock 4V Ford pieces from the outside yet they work very well and using that stuff on a stroker engine build could be very effective. In fact the customer had me paint the complete engine dark Ford blue in a single stage urethane which looked awesome/totally stock. Also making it fit shouldn't be a problem. A couple of years ago I did a 351C build using the Cook heads and intake for a customer from Florida who had a Mustang that he was resto-modding. It all worked with the stock ram air hardware no problem.

I used a Holley four barrel with a set of the side pivot bowls and fed it using a -6AN hose fitted with a banjo fitting which looked, fit and worked slick. We tested it on the dyno using the stock Ford air filter housing etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:33 pm 

Just spent the last hour reading about the Scott Cook heads. Nice, good flow numbers, stock appearance, stock height with a dual-plane intake he makes. Wow. But on the spendy side. How hard/easy is it to get a pair into the States? Is it better to give Scott all the specs and have him build them out, or just buy the bare heads and have someone here in the states build them out?

Asa Jay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:34 am 

The customer ordered the bare heads and intake manifold and I put the heads together with the right parts for his cam etc. They are costly but they fit so that might be worth it in some applications.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:18 pm 

Here are a few pictures

Attachments:
WP_20160430_12_25_25_Pro.jpg
WP_20160430_12_25_25_Pro.jpg [ 156.2 KiB | Viewed 755 times ]
WP_20160430_12_25_17_Pro.jpg
WP_20160430_12_25_17_Pro.jpg [ 165.89 KiB | Viewed 755 times ]
WP_20160426_09_24_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20160426_09_24_19_Pro.jpg [ 169.89 KiB | Viewed 755 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:05 am 

I've used the SCM heads on several builds and can attest to the quality of the product.
Not sure who the distributor is in the USA though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:28 am 

I don't think that there is a US distributor for the Scott Cook hardware. My customer contacted and ordered directly from him and it worked out fine the heads and intake got here quickly and they were well packed when they arrived.