www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 397 Clevor build.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:11 pm 

Hi all I'm hitting all the Ford forums looking for help on my first build.
My current plan is a 397 windsor (.050 over) with a set of Aussie 2v 302c heads, a clevland heads on windsor block intake adapter so I can mount a windsor GT40 intake on it.
TMoss can port the intake for 400 and the stroker kit from CHP is 2200. Now this is going into a 93 Supercab F150 so I need a good bit of torque, I figure I can make up a little top end through supercharging. I'm trying to find a good company to port the heads.
Also any advice on how to do this?

Post subject: Re: 397 Clevor build.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:24 am 

Ross texted me and told me you were joining. Thanks for joining and feel free to post up more specs and pics of your build as you continue on. Data is key with these forums.

Let's start at the beginning. How much hp are you wanting to make? The 2V heads and the intake will be the bottleneck for a lot of horsepower, but obviously a supercharger will help.

Also, do you have an intake adapter located to do what you want to do? I assume you're wanting to stay with MPFI? What about running something like a Clevor intake manifold with TBI? That would probably save you some dough and would increase the power dramatically, without any port work. Or maybe you're trying to stay with the same wiring harness/injectors as the truck had?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:42 am 

I'm looking to make around 400 rwhp, the truck currently is Speed Density but I've located a "Lightning" MAF conversion kit, the tricky thing is I have a E4od transmission and I'd like to stay with it hence the computer.
Here's the adapters
http://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/bod ... r_kit.html
Im planning to use a centrifugal supercharger, I figure the 2v Aussie and GT40 intake will yield plenty of torque but the top end will suffer so the supercharger should make up for that, it could be also looked at like this the supercharger doesn't make much power down low so the smaller ports make plenty of torque while the SC spools up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:07 am 

What parts do you have currently?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:13 pm 

nwp-swp wrote:
I'm looking to make around 400 rwhp, the truck currently is Speed Density but I've located a "Lightning" MAF conversion kit, the tricky thing is I have a E4od transmission and I'd like to stay with it hence the computer.
Here's the adapters
http://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/bod ... r_kit.html
Im planning to use a centrifugal supercharger, I figure the 2v Aussie and GT40 intake will yield plenty of torque but the top end will suffer so the supercharger should make up for that, it could be also looked at like this the supercharger doesn't make much power down low so the smaller ports make plenty of torque while the SC spools up.

Just showed up, hang with Brent...answer his questions and avoid parts choices yet, in fact, I wouldn't even talk to a supplier yet, as I said on FM, set your goals and work through things you want the vehicle to do, THEN buy parts.

FYI - also dump that supercharger/port logic for now. A supercharger doesn't spool up like a turbo, pulley choices will make it do what you want, when you want. In fact, if you were to supercharge, you could go with MORE head and still have instant torque.

Again tough, if you plan this correctly, you won't have a torque problem, even if you went without a supercharger, you can blow the tires off at will with a good build and plant you in the seat through every gear. Factory engines are so soft because they have to please a wide range of "good enough", not only in fuel economy, but also required fuel, idling in a field for hours at a time, hauling too much weight, you name it, factory engines have to be everything to everyone, so they go mild. By determining exactly what you want the truck to do, you'll be able to build exactly what you want

I do have a question or two to get us going on the EFI though.

What is the ECM code on the MAF system you discussed using? Is it an A9L computer or a later CBAZA computer on the 93 trucks? If it's either, no worries setting it up for a big build, but the strategy is a little different on each, and I have much more experience with the A9L

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:37 pm 

I'm still in awe over the $2200 rotating assembly cost. Even with a steel Scat crank, Scat H-beam rods, Racetec custom pistons, with rings and bearings, I'm a good bit under $2200.

This will all revolve around what parts you have and your budget. For instance, you're going to put a grand or more into just porting those 2V heads, not to mention milling them, guide work, new valves, etc., then you'll still have a head that only flows about 250-260 cfm. Even off-the-shelf Edelbrock heads will perform better than that, and the CHI heads hit about 300 cfm with a small port volume.

Here's how I would approach your engine....

*Run a Scat cast crank, I-beam rods, Racetec pistons
*Buy a set of assembled CHI 4V heads.
*Drill them for an external water crossover, so that you can run a thermostat housing.
*Buy a Trick Flow 9.500" Clevor Box style EFI intake

That will get you 500-525 flywheel horsepower with a 393-408, on pump gas, hydraulic roller, etc. It will allow you to use your factory computer and the best thing is that you won't need to worry about spending big bucks on porting factory parts with unsatisfactory results.

I can help with the camshaft. Overlap needs to be watched to work effectively with the EFI.

The problems with making Cleveland parts work on Windsor blocks revolves around the fact that Cleveland intakes are dry. To get around that takes a good bit of finagling. CHI heads are meant to be used on either block, so it's easy to plug them for Windsor use.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:21 pm 

Hows this build?
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/e ... ine-build/
And this is how I was going to do the cooling setup.
http://302clevor.blogspot.com/2012/12/t ... r.html?m=1
I really like the "stock" look of the Trick Flow intake.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:27 pm 

nwp-swp wrote:
Hows this build?
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/e ... ine-build/
And this is how I was going to do the cooling setup.
http://302clevor.blogspot.com/2012/12/t ... r.html?m=1
I really like the "stock" look of the Trick Flow intake.

Yep, that's pretty much the jist of what I was laying out. I'm not a Trick Flow head fan though, I'd rather see you use CHI. In your first link, if you see the big holes on the fronts of the heads, those are for fittings that would allow the water to exit the front of the heads and go to a remote thermostat housing.

Remember, with a 9.500" deck block, you can do a 408, 425, or a 434, based on the crankshaft stroke. More displacement generally adds more torque and it makes it easier to make streetable horsepower.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:37 pm 

Here's the computer I found.
https://shop.fiveologyracing.com/1988-9 ... FSEMAK.htm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:41 pm 

Ross can tell you if all of that will work or not. My EFI experience is pretty limited.

I've got the Clevor stuff nailed down though. I have custom pistons available to me from Racetec to work with the Windsor/Cleveland block/head arrangement.