www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:18 pm 

Hi all

I am new to this board and new to building 351c (coming from FE family).

I have acquired a '72 STD bore 351c and looking to build a 408 or 406 depending on the bore size - but I am leaning towards .020 over just to keep the block alive longer.

I have looked into cranks and rods and this is what I have found so far (correct me if my math is wrong): deck height 9.203; crank 4 inches, rods 6 inches (both with 2.1 journals). I have found 4.02 JE pistons with 2.1 journals and 5cc volume tops. Compression height is either 1.125 (which I believe is to low) or 1.195. My math is as follows: 2 + 6 + 1.195 = 9.195; 9.203 - 9.195 = .008 of deck height or .078 with 1.125 compression height. Block is still not machined. Will .008 be enough to clean up and deck square the block? Because .078 seems a lot to mill.

I just started looking to least get an idea of putting together a short block on paper.

thanls
Nick

Attachments:
20180905_193249.jpg [78.16 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:22 am 

Thanks for joining, Nick. I've probably seen you on a couple of the FE forums...

For a 4" stroke, you're gonna need something around a 1.195" or 1.200" compression height. The 1.125" piston is probably for another engine family or another deck height.

My advice would be to not even take the block to .020" over, but if possible, skip the boring process and hone the block to make the cylinders round and straight. Out of the last 3 Cleveland builds I've done, one was taken to a 4.005" bore and the other to a 4.015" bore.

There are other piston options other than what's available in the catalogs. I can get full custom Racetec forged pistons in any bore size, compression height, ring pack size, volume, etc., for equal or less price than the JE's.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:10 am 

blykins wrote:
Thanks for joining, Nick. I've probably seen you on a couple of the FE forums...

For a 4" stroke, you're gonna need something around a 1.195" or 1.200" compression height. The 1.125" piston is probably for another engine family or another deck height.

My advice would be to not even take the block to .020" over, but if possible, skip the boring process and hone the block to make the cylinders round and straight. Out of the last 3 Cleveland builds I've done, one was taken to a 4.005" bore and the other to a 4.015" bore.

There are other piston options other than what's available in the catalogs. I can get full custom Racetec forged pistons in any bore size, compression height, ring pack size, volume, etc., for equal or less price than the JE's.

Blykins I have talked to you before on the forum for FE at network54. Good talking to you again. Btw, FE I was building is in full swing. Just need to swap it.

The block I have has noticable ring ridges in the bore. I wont know exact size untill I take it to the machine shop but before I take it i would need to know the options I can give to the machinist regarging the bore size. I wont know how bad the block is warped until they measure it.

On average how bad is 351c warped at the deck? I read a forum and heard ppl mentioning something like 0.014. If that is the case than 1.195 compression height is not enough because it only leaves me with 0.008 to square deck it.

I am definitely looking at a zero deck height for this build. My guess is I will be safe with 0.020 deck mill that will take care of any warpage.

With this in mind I could purchase pistons with 1.183 compression height and mill the deck at 0.020 and get zero deck height.

What are you thoughs?

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:41 pm 

On engines where the components are rare or they are a lot more sensitive to drastic machining operations, such as the Cleveland, 427FE, etc., then I do minimal block work and then get pistons to match.

In your case, I would give orders to hone until the cylinders are round and straight, and then square deck as little as needed. Then order pistons to fit the block.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:32 pm 

For whatever it may be worth, +1 on Brent's posts and RaceTec pistons. Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:03 pm 

blykins wrote:

Man I've never had a Cleveland block come through that was anywhere close to that good. Most of them are pretty rough and need .030. I had one a couple of years ago that made .020 for a cleanup but just barely.