www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:53 am 

Im really impressed with the wix filter, I thought it would have blown up or blown the gasket out by now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:57 pm 

Well the engine runs great. It has a lot of power right off idle. I haven't taken it over 4000 rpm yet, the motor only has 90 miles on itso far but it runs great. I do have a concern, it sounds like one rocker or lifter is a lot louder than the others, Im thinking it has too much valve lash. It pretty much goes away after its hot, then they all sound like sewing machines.

My valve train be louder than stock. I have roller lifters and rockers. Should it be louder than stock?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:23 pm 

Barnfind,

I haven't run roller lifters in a Cleveland yet. But my DD does have a 5.0L with factory roller lifters in it, along with a Edelbrock intake.

It is quite a bit noisier than flat tappet lifters. A smoothing, sewing machine-y type of sound.

Rather soothing, if you ask me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:24 pm 

Motor feels great and sounds great except I notice when Im driving around town 0-40 mph rpm 2000 or less and the motor is idling around town there is this miss but as soon as I give it a touch of throttle it cleans up and doesn't miss a beat and take a little pressure off the pedal the miss comes back. I thought that the idle circuit was off on the quick fuel carb so I would tune the idle again to get the best rpm but it doesn't help. Now I'm thinking maybe its the cam. I know a bigger cam will effect idle but I never thought about it when cruising at low rpm with no load on engine. Does this make since? Im ok with this as long as thats the way an engine with this cam is suppose to be.
Cam is @.050 215 220 lift .577 .591 104 ICL 109 LS

I changed oil to 10-30 vr1 and oil pressure at at idle is 45 and 80 at highway speeds. Is this a problem I need to fix? Or is 80 psi acceptable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:04 pm 

The cam is not too big....

You have a lean spot in the carburetor. The rpm that you experience it will tell if it's in the idle circuit, transition circuit, or main circuit.

Oil pressure is a little high, but it's not going to hurt anything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:29 am 

I didn't mean it was too big, I just thought it was big enough to change the idle. Ill start working on that carb.

I made a kick down linkage extension yesterday and hooked that up. The first attempt didn't work but the second one did. I took it out and was running about 30 mph and floored it and it jumped to first and just roared screamed and if the trunk wouldn't have been full of golf clubs and 50 lbs kitty liter Im sure it would have broke the rear tires loose. Thjat was a great moment because I also rebuilt the c4, I never built a transmission before and before I did it wouldn't downshift on its own and it upshifted too soon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:44 am 

Awesome man, glad to hear you having fun. There's nothing like finishing a big project and then taking a few steps back and remembering everything it took to get'er done... Im still far off from that moment with my Cougar but I finished installing the drivers side rear frame rail Saturday so those are done now. Now i have to build a new trunk floor to make way for the new fuel cell...

You should post some pictures of your progress

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:43 pm 

Yes I knew it would have more power but that is a huge understatement to how it feels and sounds. It runs so much better, quicker at all rpms(up to 5000, I haven't revved it any higher yet except when I tried the kick down bracket, I was so surprised when it jumped down to first gear I don't know what rpm it hit) and 0 hesitation.
I want to thank all you guys especially Brent for all the advise and answering all my questions, some of those questions were pretty dumb.

I still need to find out why the idle circuit won't smooth out. Im pulling out all the idle adjusting screws and squirting some carb cleaner and compressed air and see if that helps. What are the small jets 4 on each end that are on top of the carb. 670 cfm quick fuel HR. Any ideas what could be wrong other than the idle mixture screws?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:01 am 

They are actually idle air bleeds and high speed air bleeds. They are used for fine tuning the idle and running circuits.

As I mentioned, you need to figure out what rpm the stumble is at.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:21 pm 

I cleaned the idle screw with carb cleaner and compressed air and did the same with the air bleeds on top and tried to retune it. What I ended up with is a small improvement, about half way to perfect. On the drivers side the air screws are basically turned all the way in while the passenger side they are both out about 1 turn. Maybe I made a mistake in the way i tuned it. I went lt fr then lt rr the tr front and rt rr. I will try lt rt lt rt now. While we are talking about carbs. AFR on the primaries is 12.5-1 when the secondaries open it drops to 10.2-1 which means the secondaries are actually8.0-1 by themselves. Frnt jets are 70 rears are 74, any idea how small I should go first?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next