www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:56 am 

With injectors, you really don't have a choice to not filter the fuel somehow. Doesn't take much to bind up an injector. Carb is way more forgiving. At any rate, the tank may be cleaned now - we'll see.

Besides all that - I loaded the door car on Saturday instead of the dragster. Wife needs some seat time so she can run in the Muscle Car Challenge the first week of April. It's also going to be mid 30s to mid 50s this coming weekend and I just didn't want to fool with alcohol in the cold. I still don't know how I'm going to run it (footbrake or box) and trying to figure that out at 45F on a Friday night before a race is not my idea of a good time. So the White Elephant is in the box and ready to go. I'll switch over maybe in April at the 3rd race. I was going to try and do some driveway tuning this week on spring break but the weather is not going to permit - rain today through Wednesday. If we get the really hard rains/severe weather predicted early Wednesday, there's a chance we'll not even run race #2. If the lower parking floods, they may call it off. Ruff spring around here for racing, worst start of the year I've seen in a while. Something like 2nd warmest February ever, coldest start to March. 74F here Saturday, 48F and rain Sunday. Bah. Good thing I replaced some damaged shingles on Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:15 pm 

Everyone pretty much rained out this past weekend. One track did run some test n tune on Sunday, but I heard given that it never got very warm and had misted in the morning, the track wasnt very good.
One track I run frequently is going to run their year end "free race" this upcoming weekend. It rained out twice last year, so they pushed it back to this year. You pay spectator gate fee and you are entered in the race "free". If the weather looks decent I may head over there and run it. Snce it's a Sunday race they only give one time run, but hopefully nothing changed since I had the car out last year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:12 pm 

One better than none - that's how we used to start the bracket finals. Time trials and maybe a gamblers on Saturday, show up Sunday and put a dial on it for 1st round. On two day weekends, the Sunday race offers one time trail for anyone that didn't run on Saturday and a Dial-4-Dollars time trial for the rest of us. $10, damn right we pony up LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:51 pm 

Granted it's been a few years since I've been to a bracket finals, but the last one I went to they still ran it that way. Time runs Friday and Saturday, with a gambler's race each day. Sunday you roll off the trailer, put a dial on it and go racing.
Back when I first started and still lived in Iowa, our bracket finals were in Indy, before they had lights. So you got a time run Thursday, a time Friday, and they ran first round Saturday, no time run. Sunday, if you were still in, they finished the race, but still no time run.

One thing I have been doing for a long time, is before I ever make my first time run of the day, I look at the air and always say "if I had to dial it right now, what would I put on it?" I'm usually pretty close now a days, but every now and then one will come from left field and surprise me. But I figure doing that is basically practice, just like everything else we do leading up to the race, and the more I do it, the more comfortable you are when those situations occur.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:20 pm 

Same here - treat every pass like a dial. With the new weather station, I should eventually have better guesses.

Last year they changed to a more "IHRA" type arrangement - time trial,, track op, misc stuff, gamblers on Friday, one time trial and the race Saturday, gamblers or head home on Sunday. Still, with 300+ cars on the property your 8:30 am pass may not hold much for your 1 PM first round.

I repaired three shingles on the roof last Saturday. I knew it and could really tell our roof is nearing end of life at 18 years. 40+ MPH winds are forecast sometime tonight and tomorrow till 10 PM with gusts to possibly 60 and a Level 2 (scale 1-5) storm prediction - if we get unlucky, I could be roofing a house in emergency mode. Lets hope not. Predicted from the SW which is better than if coming from SE. Front of the house has a large "fetch" and big wind gusts have been snapping off tabs. Upside - if it pealed off a few hundred square feet, at least we'd have an insurance claim.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:44 pm 

It runs. It actually started easier than I expected given it hadnt been started since November. Both check valves under the squirters were stuck, but I kind of expected that. And one accelerator pump was leaking a little, but tightening the screws a touch fixed it.
Now I need to decide if I really want to go tomorrow or not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:24 am 

The forecast looks good for this weekend. There is an IHRA Iron Man race at one of the tracks I like to go to. Hopefully I will be feeling a little better so I can go. Been battling some form of crud/cold/TB/plague for a week now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:16 am 

Good health to you, get better. I can't think of much worse than a spring cold/crud.

Same here - forecast was so-so rain up to last night, now maybe not so much. So we're on. We'll be running the Falcon this weekend, I need a known good TnT evening to sort out how I'll run the dragster. Rain still iffy tonight. Also, wife needs seat time in the door car so she can run the Muscle Car race in April. So the White Elephant is called up our of reserve status LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:42 pm 

I've decided I'm not going to go. I still dont feel great, it would be the first time out for the year, it's a $150 entry fee coupled with only one time run, and that all just adds up to spending a whole lot of money without much chance of any return.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:48 am 

For that, I agree - if you don't feel "right" that's a good way to burn $150 or so.

The weather went away and we had a really good weekend. Mid 70s, perfect. Nothing but trouble out of the carb on the Falcon on Friday night. Dead spot then leave. Once it left, you could set your watch by the ET. Upped the shooters - no change. Saturday I changed our the fancy QF aluminum bowls on the 650 DP and put the old check ball type bowls back on it. Problem solved. So - ?? - whats up with that. Lights got better Saturday from a lousy .089 to a .0014 in the 4th. Problem there was that he was holding 3 and I ran 3 off, first drop off after 10 runs (Friday and Saturday). All I needed was one to break him out dang it. I let the car/trans get too hot because by the 4th we were running classes pretty quick. Up till that run, we were .01 or less in agreement with the Crew Chief software predictions. Started at 7.58 and the DA kept creeping down all day, last good pass was 7.551 on a 7.557 prediction. Next round should have been 7.549 as predicted but we lost 1 at the 330 and 3 on top, ending up 7.57. I was .0014 to his .013 but he was dead 6. He whopped it a couple at the MPH block and said he killed right about 3. Over all a good day in spite of going out before the money round. Counting a bucket of VP 110, we were out $155 for the entire weekend. Can't get that kind of entertainment just anywhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 43  Next