www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:44 pm 

I did not go to test n tune tonight.
Given the influx of non normal bills (medical bills, new batteries for the truck, and my dumbass got a speeding ticket for the first time in over 20 yrs) causing the finances to take a hit, coupled with my lack of desire, I decided to stay home tonight. Supposed to rain all weekend starting tomorrow evening. Looks like if I plan on going to that big Easter race, I will either need to show up cold, or try and make it to test n tune next Friday night.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:31 am 

Rain here tonight - so I'm getting to the "load it all up and just hope Friday is good and the thing runs". Had to wait three days after the last rain to park the trailer because the ditch was soggy, so it may be either load tonight or do it all Thursday. WTH, I can always drag it home and switch back to the door car.

Bills - yea, I get that. Why the Mustang is for sale. If it all keeps running, we're OK. If anything breaks I'll just help run the lanes or the burnout box.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:06 pm 

In 24 hours we got 4.3" of rain. Needless to say, nothing got done today, especially since we were without power from 11:30 am to 6 pm.
I did buy some thin 1200 LUM LED lights I'm going to mount under the bumper so when I get to those tracks with dark return roads and poorly lit pits I can see to drive around without running over someone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:48 pm 

We got at least 2" yesterday. Ditches are full, if it doesn't dry up in front of the house by Friday I can't get the trailer out. 2" standing water out there right now. Oh, but nice today LOL.

I have a couple of LED lights for the dragster. just haven't go around to mounting them yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:26 pm 

Got one light put on, took a good look at it and said "that looks like crap", and took it off. Back to the drawing board.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:01 am 

LOL. I bought a hydrometer setup to check my alcohol. Well, bought one that turned out to be for beer making which doesn't work for Methanol. ID10T error. The full jug is probably fine. The one with two gallons left in it...well, turns out to be decent weed killer. Ants don't care for it either. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:48 pm 

Hell, I would have run it. It would burn that much getting it warmed up. LOL
Honestly, I've never had problems with any of it, and I've left 2 gallons in a jug all winter as well and never had any problems out of the gate with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:39 pm 

Soooo...........
I went racing last night, kind of. Or, tried to. Or, went to the track and nothing went right. Yeah, that's pretty accurate.
Hell, It's raining like mad, we just had a tornado pass less than 2 miles within the house, I'm kinda bored now, so I'm gonna write a novellete. :)

Wednesday night my better half's brother that races, (Dave, henceforth referred to as Dave), sent me a message and said "Hey, I'm gonna go to Piedmont tomorrow and run outlaw doorslammers at Big Dog. $1500 to win, $60 entry, you in?" It took me about 3 minutes to think about and reply "Sure, why not."
So, Piedmont Dragway is the track that runs the big doorcar race every year. It's a NICE track, and only about 40 minutes from my house. The third thursday of every month during the warm months, they have "Big Dog" night. Big Dog cars are essentially rules limited pro mods. They run an 8 car field and usually have 10-12 show up each month. During the breaks they run Outlaw Doorslammers (door car bracket race, 6.99 and quicker), 7.49 and 6.00 index classes on a pro tree. They usually get 8-10k spectators. It's a big deal every month. This month's race was the first of the year so they opened at 11:00 and were going to have open time runs from noon to 4:30. I left work at noon, rushed home, tossed the rest of my gear in the truck, and got to the track around 2:00. I unloaded the car, let it sit and run to warm up as I was unloading everything else. My first sign it was gonna be a screwed up day was when I went to step up on the bumper to get something out of the back of the truck and proceeded to blow out the crotch of my pants. Great. Off to the bathroom to change in to my racing pants I was trying to avoid wearing for this day. Got back, hopped in the car to take it for a spin, got back, pulled in by the trailer, got out of the car, and saw a puddle of oil about the size of a large skillet on the ground. Crap, it looked like it was about the appropriate place to be rear main seal. Since my racetrack jack had finally given up the ghost, and my other jack, a 3 ton steel unit (I think 3 ton described the actual weight of the jack), was not any fun to load and unload out of the back of the truck every week, I dont carry it to the track any more. No way to get it up in the air to look under with out pulling it up on the trailer. Screw it, I'll wait until Dave gets here and use his jack. Go up for my first pass, and it felt lazy in the waterbox. Pulled up, turned the top bulb on, bumped in, set the transbrake, took my foot off the brake pedal, and the car moved forward. What the ?!?! And the tree started. Oh, guess I should go now a day late. I figured it was going to go 6.46 or maybe a 6.47. It popped and banged a little in low and went 6.49. Ok, no need to panic, that was the first pass since November. On the return road, it decided it was going to idle about 3000 rpm. Got it to the trailer, pulled the hood, and saw about 4 pine needles sticking out of the secondary side of the carb. Yep, wedged in there holding that blade open. Got that out, stuck a splash of fuel in it, and went back up. It rolled again, but at least it didnt surprise me. But since it rolled in deep, I was red. It popped worse in low gear and slowed to a 6.51. Ok, something aint right. Got back to the trailer, pulled the hood, fired the car back up, and..... 3 1/2 lbs of fuel pressure. I didnt get the lock nut tight enough when I reset the fuel pressure and the adjusting screw had backed way out. Easy fix. Now to figure out why the car was moving. I had the key pad replaced on the delay box over the winter, and they change some settings to test it. I thought I had them reset correctly, but after going thru the operating instructions, the setting that controls the line lock when the transbrake is set was turned off. I set it where it was supposed to be after fumbling around trying to remember how to operate the dumb thing (that's an important detail here in a minute.) I go up for our first "official" time run. Pull in the water, whack the throttle, oh hey, I've actually got some power now. Cool. Roll up to the tree, bump in, set the transbrake, start to take my foot off the brake pedal, and the car started to roll. What? Tried it again, still no transbrake. Crap. Tried to footbrake it, wasted pass. Get back to the trailer, hook the generator up, go get the instructions (again), and Dave's helper says "hey, this tire is leaking like hell." What? Get back to the car and the driver side slick is about half flat and you could hear the air hissing out of it. I looked the tire over and found a big screw in the tread surface. I have tubes in my slicks, so there was no fixing that. I pumped the tire up, and hurriedly put it on the trailer before it went flat. Once it was on the trailer, I took the instructions and went thru the box settings screen by screen. Turns out when I was fumbling around trying to turn the line lock function back on I managed to TURN OFF the transbrake switch.
Anyways, Dave won first round, second round, then missed the tree in the third (.026 to a .010) and lost. His car is running and working really well now, even with the big wheelsatands. It's a Victor headed big inch Windsor running low 5.60s.
So I need to order a new tube, get that installed, and I should be ready to go.
OH, forgot, I did jack the car up before the official time run, slid under the car and determined the leak was coming from up top. One valve cover was really loose so I tightened it down.
Like I said, once I replace that tube, and no, I'm not taking the tubes out. My car works better with them in there. As for running over something and not being able to plug it, I've been racing since 1992 and that was only the second time I've ever run over something at the track and got a flat slick. Uh, where was I....oh yeah, once I replace the tube, I should be all set to go until I get the 393 the rest of the way together and in the car more than likely creating new issues. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40