www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:22 am 

#7 exhaust valve is bent. I pulled the rockers off, stuck air to it, and she's blowin like a trombone out the header on that side.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:04 am 

My guess is that it floated the valve. Clearance isn’t much an issue on Cleveland’s.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:10 pm 

blykins wrote:
Clearance isn’t much an issue on Cleveland’s.

I've got a whole bucket full of pistons with big dents in them from valves that would disagree with that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:17 pm 

Maybe you’ve been floating a lot of valves.... :D

Generally on aftermarket pistons, there is a ton of intake clearance, even past .800” with a huge cam. Most pistons don’t even have exhaust valve reliefs.

You’re most likely to bend an exhaust valve when it’s floating because the piston is chasing the valve down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 am 

kv racing wrote:
blykins wrote:
Clearance isn’t much an issue on Cleveland’s.

I've got a whole bucket full of pistons with big dents in them from valves that would disagree with that.

LOL, you're kind of an abuse sort. In a nice way. ;) Bent is maybe better than broke anyway.

I'm trying to find time to pump down and clean the fuel filter - again - to get the water/trash out, then refill completely. I bought a new drum of M1, so we're saving $ like crazy on fees and fuel. $3.70/gallon vs $5 from the track fuel station.

BTW, still raining. 10 day looks good for a big double weekend on 6/15, hoping it holds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:22 pm 

Brent was dead on with a zero, it floated the valves and that exhaust valve tagged the piston.
Turns out the hack shop put cheap springs on it that only had 220# on the seat.
Looks like I get new springs, retainers, one new valve, and the joy of changing 8 springs on the motor.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:22 am 

Well - could be worse!

Two day weekend coming, going from rain two days ago to 105F this weekend so maybe we'll dry out. Maybe. Trying to figure how much fuel to take and not have to run home or to the fuel station. I more or less eat 1 gal/pass but idling/warmup eats fuel like crazy. Weird deal with methanol. I can run it in the shop, warm it up and check a few things and use half the fuel cell, which is about 3.5 gallon capacity.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:28 am 

That's a thirsty critter you have there.
Mine uses a touch more than I care for, but I've heard guys using a lot more so I cant really complain. One guy at our track just bought an APD Enforcer carb, it's a touch quicker than the Ruppert he was running, deadly consistent, but he said the biggest difference is it uses half as much fuel. I keep looking at them. If things can ever go my way just one weekend, I am seriously thinking about buying one. That is, if I dont sell the whole thing first.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:07 am 

You need to try one of our carbs....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:51 am 

Since I cant seem to get Jegs to ship me the headgaskets I ordered and paid for, I'm going to go over and just hang out at the track for a couple of hours today and meet some online buddies face to face for the first time. Plus I'll get to see my dad's old car run again. One of our local tracks is having their annual stick shift nationals, and last year there were over 130 stick shift cars on the property. The guys that bought my dad's old car drove down from PA yesterday (he said it was a 9 hour drive), and got there yesterday afternoon. They currently have a 410 inch Yates headed motor in the car with a 5 speed behind it. I think it is running 5.40's now. That's a long ways from the 6.30s it was running when we had it.
Hopefully by time I get home the head gaskets I ordered from Summit will be here today. I can then get the head back on and hopefully the header, and finish it up tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 53  Next