www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:38 am 

I ran into a situation on mock-up once, where the exhaust valve hit the cylinder before it hit the piston.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:34 pm 

At this point I think I'm going to shelve the 393 for now. I'm going to take Brent's cam and put it back in the 377 and stick it back in the car. All it needs is the cam changed, oil pan and pump installed, intake, and valve train, and it's ready to go.
When I get ready to put the 393 back together, right now I am thinking we will take it .040 over to get a clean bore, and new custom pistons with the compression up around 13.5-1. That way I know the deck is block deck is cleaned up, the head surfaces will be clean, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:53 pm 

No guides cracked either? Strange that it would smoke without guides broken or pistons damaged.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 am 

kv racing wrote:
Well, my assumption was wrong. There is not a hole in a piston. I have no idea why it was smoking like a freight train that last pass. I checked as well as I could and didnt see any cylinders that were cracked. That valve is bent all to hell though so I at least got that part right.
I'm really thinking since it's out, I might as well pull it all apart, check it all over, then put it back together. But I'm either going to need to swap cams, change rocker ratios, or have the pistons cut on the exhaust side to clear since it's obviously an issue.

With what you've seen - I would pull it and start forensics. No sense in trying to push it.

Braces - as far as I can tell, they maybe worked. The "maybe" comes in because the collar on the coupler still moved. I don't see how, so the car is up on stands and stripped so I can go over every inch. I may even get on eBay and look for a cheap "GoPro" knock off to mount in the tail end to see what's actually going on back there. It could be nothing more than the coupler moving in and out and just "tapping" the collar around. I don't see how anything could move right now. I noted that it moved a little at a time over the weekend, maybe a total of around 9 runs. I will replace the rod end and use that as a "canary in the coal mine". If the rod ends stay intact, then it's something else. If it bends another rod end, there's something really serious going on.

As for racing - I sucked. Until Sunday my best light was a .061. Car ran the dial 3 out of 4 shots, so it's not the car lol. Last round - 2nd - on Sunday I finally got it back, hit .009 to his .012. Car had run two 5.41s in a row, ran 5.44 to his dead on 4.72. Got back to the trailer - I left the lean out valve open. 2nd time I'd done that. Everything off 2, which I'd expect having been stupid once and having the ticket for it. So there ya go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:38 pm 

It's quite possible it really F'ed up that guide. I havent pulled the valve out to look. It bent the valve bad enough the seal was tore up and laying on top of the head, the valve actually hit the side of the chamber as well as the side of the cylinder. So it's bent pretty f'n good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:26 pm 

Pulled the valves out of that chamber tonight. Yep, f'ed up the guide pretty good. The exhaust actually hit the intake valve and messed it up too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:44 am 

As of right now, the 393 is shelved. Started working on getting the cams out of both motors so I can put Brent's custom grind back in the 377, then put it back in the car. Decided to stick the Hedman big tube headers on the shelf and run my Super Comps instead. They fit better and at this point, I just want something that will go down the track consistently. I've resigned to the fact my car is just not ever going to be any faster. Obviously I have reached the ceiling of my mechanical and tuning abilities.
I need to order a few gaskets and a tube of Hylomar Blue for the 377. I'm gonna coat everything up real good so the next time it breaks I can re-use the gaskets after I pull it apart. Cuz lord knows, it's gonna break again. But if I'm lucky, maybe it will sell before it breaks the next time. LOL
I need to get a new pinion gear for my starter, this one is chewed all to hell after what amounted to half a season of use, if not less. My 164 tooth internal balance flexplate needs a new starter ring as well, or just replaced, cuz it's all chewed up too. Man that starter spins it over great, but so far I havent figured out the proper depth it needs mounted and it's eating everything up. And the tech guys at Powermaster are almost as useful :roll: as the contradicting paperwork they sent with the starter.
As for the better half's car, I have given up on getting it to run right by taking it to the track. I'm wasting time and resources by doing that. So I scheduled a visit to a chassis dyno in a couple of weeks. At the minimum, we wont be eating up tires with a burnout and a launch and all that crap. It will just be a high gear pull.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48