www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:14 pm 

Holy shit fire! I went over after work to drop the car off, and I bet there were already 240-250 cars on the grounds. Even getting there around 4:30, the day before the race, I ended up pitted a lot farther away than I had thought I was going to be. I bet there's gonna be somewhere around 350 entries there tomorrow.
If anyone is bored, and wants to watch some all door car bracket racing, it will be broadcast live on MotorManiaTv's youtube channel all three days. I've already double entered the weekend, so I when they call for first round I will be up there pretty quickly.
Also, I dont know why, but man I am wound tight for this race. Been a long time since I've felt this way before a race.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:05 am 

I'll have it on the background, good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:18 am 

Falcon67
Your track looks nice and bright man. You said spoiled, hell i feel spoiled if I get more than 1 run. This picture was the last time I ran at Denton. We were waiting for track guys to clean up diff fluid from a Corvette I raced earlier when I ran a 7.24 to his 7.0
https://youtu.be/bkazQgaKZKU

He decided to hit his with a 200 shot and blew out both axles and cracked his diff. By the way, The Vette was stripped down with a 400sbc, sold roller with some expensive heads, 4000 stall and 4.10 gears and 28x10 tires. I guess my heavier car, 359c solid flat cam, 3000 stall Cat not doing to bad.

Imagelast dentone run by 359daddy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:10 pm 

Excellent numbers! Dang KV, that a sea of cars, about like a bracket final in Div 4 here. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:58 am 

I could not imagine that many cars at one time. I will say though the first race of season at Denton after they just closed Kennadale was a total shit hole. I got 1 run in basically 4 hours. I got there and parked at 6:30pm - tech a little after 7pm and in line waiting till like 11pm. I was not a happy camper that night. Can you believe a Dallas cop last week was on tv saying "I just dont know why people keep street racing :cry: :cry: :cry: " Well stupid, if the cities would not close our tracks (Kennadale) where its LEGAL to race then maybe, just maybe there would not be as much street racing :roll: I will say this, since the Denton track has closed, all I hear is stop light racing down main street now. I was in the garage today rewiring my fuel pump and heard no less than 10 races and alot of people reving their engines.

This was Xtreame Raceway Park when they had a Houston take over event. Not sure how many people are there but i can guarantee I was not one of them. Had Hwy 45 shut down - ridiculous! A couple months ago they just expanded the parking lot

ImageXtreame by 359daddy, on Flickr

ImageXtream1 by 359daddy, on Flickr

ImageXtream2 by 359daddy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:14 am 

As we have established in the past, I'm a dumbass. I brought a car with a motor in it that had been to the track ONE time to a race of this magnitude. And I have fought with it the entire time. Friday they had 474 entries. I think I heard them say 536 yesterday.
First pass friday, right off the trailer it went 6.136@111.8 mph. Cool, that's the quickest the car has eve been. Went up for my one time run on my second entry a couple of hours later, and I expected it to slow a little, and it went 6.152@111.2 mph. I got back and thought something sounded "off". Since I had been fighting keeping one rocker tight, I pulled the valve cover on that side. That rocker was loose again, and I mean really loose. But worse, the poly lock on a different rocker had broke down inside the rocker, the rocker came off the pushrod and turned sideways. Shit. I pulled it apart, changed the stud, changed the rocker because it buggered up the trunion, put a new pushrod in the hole, an new poly lock, reset the lash on the one that wouldnt stay tight, and put the cover back on. A fellow I have talked to a couple of times, and is a Ford guy, came by and asked what was wrong as I was finishing up. I told him what had happened and that I thought I might have a lifter going south because I couldnt keep the lash set. He suggested I take it home, fix it, and bring it back the next day. I told him, I had everything with me to change it at the track and I planned on doing it after I lost that day. He said, "there's over 400 cars here, it's gonna take ten rounds to win. Will it last ten rounds? It took almost 4 hours for them to give everyone a time run, you have plenty of time." Fuck. I knew right then I had to pull the intake and change it. He helped pull the intake off and luckily my gaskets stayed stuck to the heads so I didnt even need to put new gaskets on. I'm glad he said that to me, because it was fixing to tear some stuff up all proper like. When the rocker came off, the lifter came out of the hole far enough the tie bar fell off (I never have liked lifters that dont have a captured tie bar.) Both those lifters had turned in the bore. I'm pretty sure it galled the cam up a bit, but it is what it is for now. I stuck a different pair of lifters in that hole (one with captured tie bar), and different pair in the hole that wouldnt stay tight. Went up for first round not know when the rocker came off, so I stuck a 6.13 on it, and lost. Went 6.161. Dialed it 15 for my next entry and had a guy redlight. It went 6.175. Went up for second round with a 6.16 on it, and went 6.185 and somehow managed to win the round. Third round I dialed it 6.18, ripped it one time at the stripe and went 6.176 for the L. Oh well. Pulled the valve cover yesterday before we started and the one that had the poly lock break was loose. I changed the poly lock, dialed it 6.14 and went up for first round (no time runs). Proceeded to kick it .002 red and went 6.145. Went up for the second entry a couple of hours later with a 6.15 on the window. I really figured it would go 6.16. The other guy went red, and I proceeded to run 6.202. Ugh. Cant race with it like that. I pulled the cover, and that rocker was loose again. I changed the poly lock again, pulled a plug (it was acting Rosie O'Donnell fat), and the plug looked horrible. I pulled 8 steps out, stuck a new plug in that hole so I could looke at it afterwords, and went up for second round with a 6.19 on the window. I was really expecting it to pick up at least one. It went 6.201 and I was behind by .005 at the stripe. I pulled the plug and boy, it's still fat. I pulled 8 more steps out before I went home, and the timing looks too high. It has 35* in it, but I think it needs to be down around 32* with the flat tops and the 56 cc chambers. This morning I'm gonna pull some timing out, pull that cover and make sure everything is still set correctly, and if it is, just for shits and giggles, turn up the launch rpm and shift point and basically use my first entry as a time run to see how fast it will go since I think I am done racing for the year after this weekend.
This has been way more eventful than I had anticipated. But let's be honest, we all knew something like this was gonna happen to me. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:32 pm 

Well this season is in the books.
I changed the stuff this morning, went up for first round, stuck a 6.14 on it and figured it was either going to love the changes, or hate them. Proceeded to run a whopping 6.239. In the words of "Men on...." from In Living Color, "Hated it."
So I came back, fattened it up over where it was originally, stuck 38* of timing in it, turned the shift point back down to 7k but left the launch rpm alone, left the 6.14 on it and went back up for my second entry about 2 1/2 hours later. Managed a whopping 6.223. All done. When I went to load the car I noticed it was leaking transmission fluid all over hell while it was running.
I need to seriously consider whether I want to keep doing this or not. This isnt fun anymore constantly working thrashing on it. I did kick around the idea of selling all my cleveland crap since it is the most unreliable motor I have ever seen in my life and buying a 460 small block crate motor. If I did that, I would probably have to change cams in it as it needs to be able to run in the 6.30s. I'm not going to run 6.50s or slower again.
But, selling everything, car included, sure sounds appealing again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:15 pm 

This is for sure "crossroads" type frustration. I can identify because that's the stock block issue with the dragster. Get 2 or 3 races where it's all peaches and cream, then it parts all over the shop and "what the hell now". And the fix - in my mind anyhow - is $$$$ in new equipment to take all the variables out. I will probably do that because I still like this stuff. But yea, not being able to even put a reasonable dial on the window and have some confidence in the equipment to make it the weekend goes right to "why load up in the first place". Sounds like an entire new valve train, cam and all, is the minimal fix for those problems. A can of Trans-X probably isn't going to fix the other issue either dammit.

Funny you mention 460, I had the same thoughts. Mo' money but go as fast with less wear and tear at lower RPM. Put the AFDs and the cam in the Falcon motor. It's worth a thought though. Heads with BBC exhaust ports are available which opens up header options for dragsters and roadsters. Or sell the dragster chassis and put the money into a strut front for the door car and a better motor there. Not really wanting to do that. That seems like giving up and I know I can win round in the rail if the motor will just stay in one piece.

I hesitate more because of the COVID thing - if one of us is unlucky and has to be hospitalized (and there are no ICU beds within 100 miles of here now), that's a $5000 deductible right off the top. And we'd have to go at least 200~400 miles to find help if it was more serious. Life Flight is like a 20K ride.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:23 pm 

As of right now, I have decided whether I keep the car or not, all my cleveland stuff has got to go away. If I keep the car, I'm putting a windsor in it. I've been racing for 30 years, had the same engine platform for almost that entire time, and have fought with the motor for almost that entire time. Something has to change. If I keep racing, it will not have a cleveland in it. I'm really thinking about a 408W. I have the 408w shortblock that was in the better half's car. She wasnt real keen on how fast it was running so I had already decided to put the pump gas 393W back together for her car. I'll need heads, intake, headers, pan, etc for the 408 if I want to stick it in my car. I figure a set of AFR 220 heads right out of the box, a catalog roller, my alchy carb and it will probably outrun any of the cleveland stuff I've ever had in the car.
I'm going to use this weekend to try and compile a list of all my cleveland stuff, figure out a fair, and probably undervalued price, on everything, and then list stuff for sale.
Hopefully the 393 and 377 wont be too hard to sell, and then I can slowly get rid of all the extra crap I have accumulated over the years.

The 460 I was looking at is the Ford Racing 460 inch small block crate motor that makes 575 hp. A little more camshaft, alcohol, and we're at 600. That would go 6.30s in my car.

The money I spent on entry fees, food, alcohol, and whatnot for the weekend would have put a really nice catback exhaust on my daily driver and still had money leftover. As it is, all I have to show for it is a pile of broken valvetrain parts laying on the floor in the backseat of my truck and tore up knuckles and fingers. I had that driver's side valve cover off more this weekend than I had both of them off all year, combined. Make a pass, pull the valve cover. Adjust at least one rocker. Make a pass, pull the valve cover.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:13 pm 

Send the Cleveland up here. Let me go through it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107  Next