www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Max RPM for stroker
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:27 pm 

Hello, new member from FL here. I have a 72 Q-Code Torino that I purchased from my grandfather back in high school. I pulled the 4v out of her and stuck a 460 in back when I was 16 and stupid. The car has been sitting for 10 years and now its time to put the Cleveland back in and build her right.

My question is, who has any experience twisting a 408 stroker crank to 7k? Obviously the bottom end will need to be reinforced but has anyone done it?

The engine will be twin turboed, fully built toploader, 28" tire and 3.25 rear gears. The primary goal is 200mph in the half mile.

Post subject: Re: Max RPM for stroker
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:43 am 

My question is, why do you think you were stupid to put a 460 in it? My buddy has a 545 (stock 2 bolt block) in his 67 Stang and that thing is a ripper. Car has full interior, 8 point cage, full exhaust , c6 trans and 4.11 gears. When the engine was 10.5 compression it would go 5.9-6.0 in the 1/8 mile. Now the same engine has 13.1 compression, a slightly bigger cam, 3.89 gears and E85 and first pass taking it easy ran a 5.8 All passes on motor. He shifts between 6000-6500 rpm. So why would you go backwards to build a smaller engine that the engine block cant even hold twin turbos and parts are not as plentiful and the parts that are are not much cheaper than a big block? Don't get me wrong, I love Clevelands but its a no brainer for the money, reliability and power - big block all the way. Especially since your car is already set up with it. That's just my feelings on it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:19 pm 

A 408 will turn as many rpms as you care to turn it. If you wanted to turn one 8000-9000, it would do that just fine. I've turned many past 7000.

Just keep in mind that stroke doesn't affect the rpm range. Otherwise we wouldn't have 5.750" stroke mountain motors turning over 8000 rpm. The highest rpm engine I've built was a 4.180" stroke.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 pm 

nova467spanker wrote:
My question is, why do you think you were stupid to put a 460 in it? My buddy has a 545 (stock 2 bolt block) in his 67 Stang and that thing is a ripper. Car has full interior, 8 point cage, full exhaust , c6 trans and 4.11 gears. When the engine was 10.5 compression it would go 5.9-6.0 in the 1/8 mile. Now the same engine has 13.1 compression, a slightly bigger cam, 3.89 gears and E85 and first pass taking it easy ran a 5.8 All passes on motor. He shifts between 6000-6500 rpm. So why would you go backwards to build a smaller engine that the engine block cant even hold twin turbos and parts are not as plentiful and the parts that are are not much cheaper than a big block? Don't get me wrong, I love Clevelands but its a no brainer for the money, reliability and power - big block all the way. Especially since your car is already set up with it. That's just my feelings on it.

All good points. And I didn't mean the 460 was a stupid idea. I loved that engine. Having the biggest engine on campus was always fun to brag about. The stupid part was cutting the car up like I did. And the 460 is out of the car and into a 78 f150 I sold to my grandfather. Thing is a beast though.

Anyway, my wife drives a 2017 challenger 392 and I constantly hear from her car club buddies how amazing their engines are. I want to retain my factory style engine (contemplating using a dart block instead of the factory block) instead of doing a coyote swap or something like that. I remember growing up in the Torino with the 4v and 4-speed and it was a monster.

I know its the harder way to do it but using the Cleveland and Top loader is a must. I'm already getting everything together to swap it to the Holley Dominator EFI system and I have the designs already for the intake, exhaust etc.

Why do you think the cleveland can't hold twins?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:38 pm 

Str8Jacket

Damn, you had to cut the car up to put the 460 in? I thought the Torinos were offered with 429 in '70. See, that's the only reason I didn't put a 460 in my 70 Cougar. When I was younger I was less experienced with the cut off wheel and welder. If this current 359c (god forbidden) ever blows up and if it trashes the heads, then out come the shock towers for the big iron. If the the heads are still good then goes in either a DART Windsor 9.2 block or a 400.

The new Mopar engines are great. From the 5.7l to the HellEphant they are hard to beat even N/A. Don't argue with the people who buy their "already made" hotrods. Just hand them a cut off wheel and a welding helmet and tell them "lets see what you can do with these" I cut the floors and the drivers torque box out of my Cougar and put the new in - in my garage. First and hopefully last for me with that stuff. Took me 6 months working on and off between work etc... Lets see what those car club people can do....

Quote:
Why do you think the cleveland can't hold twins?

A factory Cleveland block has its limitations. Even with the block grouted, with twin turbos and as heavy as your car is and your goal of moving that brick 200mph, I see you having to make no less than 1000hp at the wheels. Ya the factory Cleveland block might hold for a few passes at that power level but its not long for life. Your most likely gonna grenade that top loader too. You might want to look in to a Liberty or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:18 pm 

nova467spanker wrote:
Damn, you had to cut the car up to put the 460 in?

No, in 72 they switched to body-on-frame from Unibody so I had tons of room for the 460/c6. I cut up the rear quarters to fit a 31" Mickey Thompson slick (the car came from Daytona so the quarters were shot anyway) and I gutted the interior to fit aluminum seats and pulled the cluster out to run all AutoMeter gauges. Deleted the ac/heat and windshield wipers. Kept a radio in it but with the headers dumped under the front seats I couldn't hear it.

Don't get me wrong, she was fun like that, but I'm older now and my priorities have shifted. I've accepted the possible need to run an aftermarket Cleveland style block like a Dart 9.5 that I can turn into a 427 stroker and also the possibility of going to a built T56 but the 4v and TopLoader are the original to the car and if I can make them work, I want to.

1000WHP is a little conservative I think, I was guessing around 1500 to hit 200MPH in a half mile with a 3800lb car. Traction is going to be my downfall since I refuse to backhalf the car. I plan on running a pair of 75mm turbos. I would like to fiberglass the front clip to save on weight since this thing is a yacht but no one makes fiberglass pieces for it except a hood from US Body.

Lofty aspirations but I've waited 10 years to make the money I make now so hopefully attainable.