www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:18 am 

I pulled the old probe off yesterday and discovered when it got all sparky sparky, it burned thru the outer shield and actually cooked some of the inner wires. No wonder it didnt read correctly. I'm surprised it read at all.

I knew the passenger side shock was leaking a little, so I finally decided to change it. I dug around in my storage building and discovered I had two Carrera 90/10 shocks that fit, that my dad got in the pile of parts when he bought his car. I pulled the leaker off, and when I collapsed and extended it, man, it was stiff. It was an old Lakewood 70/30, and whatever had gone wrong internally, it was no longer a 70/30. It felt more like a 70/70. And it was on the passenger side, so that had been causing the car to leave excessively front driver's side high. When the other one leaked all it's oil out, I replaced it with a 90/10. So I had messed that up anyways. The 70/30 should have been on the driver's side while the 90/10 should have been on the passenger side. I knew it had been leaving with the nose askew, but had never really taken the time to investigate why (I actually forgot I had stuck 70/30's on it until yesterday when it dawned on me the Lakewoods were 70/30.) It usually leaves with the driver's fender a little higher, but not like it has been doing.
It probably had nothing to do with it, but I'm going with that was what caused my lights to be so bad. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:25 am 

My lights are bad because I'm a doof. Saturday I was .0001, .005, .009, .107 then -.030 red. Car was great. On the .107 pass (lost of course) computer said 7.64. I said "No way" and put a 7.66 on it. Ran it out - didn't think light was THAT bad and didn't know other guy was .008 - trusting the dial and it ran 7.6400. OK fine. 3rd round computer says 7.66, put 7.66 on the dial. Red light, 7.6616. Computer and car both are now mocking me. But - think of all that fuel I saved for Dallas in two weeks.

I had this "plan" (very bad plan apparently) to try running in Sportsman by dumping at the MPH block and killing 2 or 3 to run on the 7.50 ET break in Dallas. Testing on Friday, I made two full passes - 7.67, 7.68. 88 MPH. Took left lane, ran it down and dumped. 7.68 84 MPH. Uh. Went back for another try, car spun on the left tire(too much water in the box, 10:15 PM after all those street cars) so was off .01 on the 60'. 7.69, 84 MPH. We pick up a minimum of 2 in Dallas, most time 2.5~3 so this won't work. I'll just get in Pro Footbrake and deal with being first to leave LOL. Will know for sure if we can get there for the Thursday TnT and make a few passes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:40 pm 

That's how my plans usually go. LOL
I've left first for so long, it kind of messes me up when I have to chase. LOL
When I ran that footbrake race awhile back, I knew I was gonna be in the top half of fast cars, so I ran high gear only so I could leave first off a cleaner tree but still have the mph at the other end like a faster car. If I run it this November, I may do the same thing. If i could stay green, I might be able to go a few rounds doing that.

Got the other shock changed today.
Pulled the float bowls off the carb, upped the jets a bit, as well as changed the metering block gaskets and the power valve gaskets. Something has got to be the problem with it flooding itself on the trailer, and since I hadnt changed those yet, I figured I would give them a shot.
I also cleaned up some wiring inside the car that was starting to look kinda spaghetti-ish. LOL I removed the old EGT probe lead, got the new one wired in permanently to where it looks nicer, as well as extended the wire to my bilge fan from the switch. LOL
Yeah, it's a bilge fan. I use it to blow air on me instead of a normal looking fan. They're cheap and move a ton of air.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PK ... UTF8&psc=1
I had to buy a generic roll bar mount and make one bracket. It moves way more air than any of those small circular fans do.
https://www.amazon.com/LAMPHUS-Off-Road ... _d_rp_59_t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:26 am 

That works. I have a clamp on "car fan" that clamps under the dash and plugs into the cig lighter port. Variable speed too!

Like this -
https://smile.amazon.com/Schumacher-122 ... 374&sr=8-5

That's one thing for sure about the dragster - windows are down all the time, plenty of breeze. Except you're suited up like a snowmobile racer.

We had a helmet conversation in the lanes last week - good thing apparently. My old Simpson is a SA2005 is way out of NHRA date acceptance. Got a new Racequip from Summit just before the race this weekend. That and belts are good, so should not get hassled by the inspectors at the finals. Because they will look for about any reason to throw one of us out - if we are not the home team that is.

Also checked my air bottle and refilled it. Gauge said 500 lbs but there wasn't enough in there to even chill the bottle when I let it out. That big 10 lb C02 bottle I keep in the shop has been a worthwhile investment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:41 am 

I bet that fan works better than any of the circular fans. They just dont move enough air to make it worthwhile.
I've tried several different circular fans, and they all work about the same; mediocre at best.

Not that anyone ever looks at anything around here, but I bought a new Simpson full face helmet maybe three years ago, the belts are good until July of 2022, and I even put a new window net in the car a couple weeks ago. I really like this net better than any of the previous ones I have had in the car. It doesnt have a bottom bar that is always getting in the way and keeping it from laying flat when the net isnt in use. It has straps on the bottom that wrap around the roll cage and are adjustable to adjust the tension on the net. I have mine attached to the sill bar, but they could easily be adjusted to wrap around the diagonal door bar.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:29 pm 

Hi guys, thought I would just pop in and say Hi and I'm still alive. Been out with this china virus stuff since Aug 21st. Been in the hospital from 9/3 to 9/7. Got the pneumonia crap and CAT scans reviled I have small blood clots in lungs. This has been a very painful and restless experience. I still have 2 more weeks to be out of work. I am on blood thinners and have to start exercising to gradually get some endurance and build some lean muscle back. I have lost 26 pounds from this crap but unfortunately not all fat. Hope everyone here is doing good. This bioweapon virus really is nothing to play with and can effect anyone. I am 42 years old and pretty healthy but this crap strait kicked me in the balls. The pain from my lungs felt like someone took a knife - stabbed me in the back and was just playing with it. My wife and kids got it too but thankfully they had nothing like I got. They have been back to work and school for a week now. Take care you all.

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:48 am 

Good to hear from you Matt. Not good the kungflu knocked you down like it did, but it sounds like you are getting better, and that's the important part.

So, yesterday. Ugh.
I went to the track an hour and a half from home, the one where the prep is kind of mediocre, and the track is old and a lot of stuff is just kind of run down. But man, they still pack cars in there. Yesterday they had some special crap going on, so it was even more packed, and we only were getting one time run.
I got there, and of course it had 3 or 4 cylinders full of alchy. The bowls were drained before I left for the track because I had changed jets and gaskets and never turned the pump on afterwords. I started using a breaker bar to turn it backwards, which was working until the bolt came loose. Then I had to start pulling plugs. Finally got that done, fired it up, and one of my fuel lines from the regulator to the carb decided it was going to leak. Pulled it off, took the fitting apart, spun the line around a bit and stuck it back together. That made it worse. After I had the line off, I reached in the car to turn off the water pump and accidentally hit the ignition switch turning the fuel pump on. Alchy shot out, sprayed out and got all over my windshield. Guess what takes the coating off Optic Armor? Methanol. My windshield is all fucked up now. I mean, it's a mess and there aint no fixing it. The brother in law jumped on his scooter, went over to the other side of the pits and got a piece of braided line from one of those racers who would give you the shirt off his back. I stuck my fittings on it, got it running (not leaking now), and they had already called my class to the lanes. I fired it up, checked the tires with the car still on the trailer, tossed some fuel in it while it was running, backed off the trailer and went straight to the lanes, and hadnt unloaded a damned thing out of the truck yet. I got up there and was one of the last cars in line. Made a pass, and good lord it hooked. Best 60' this motor has ever had.
Got back to the trailer and right away saw a bolt laying on the floor of the trailer. It was the bottom bolt from the starter. It had stripped out. I got a longer bolt from my brother in law, fixed it and was ready to go racing. Lost first round, bought back, got to the fifth round where my day ended in a manner fitting of how it started. I was running a dragster. I pre staged, he pre staged then went in pretty quick. I bumped in, set the transbrake, and we set there. And set there, and set there. At least 4 seconds, probably 5, passed. I thought "I should back out", then the tree started. I was DEAD late. I'm sure he had two hits at it so he wasnt bad. I actually lifted about 2/3 track cuz I knew I was wasting my time. My bulb was .239. Worst light I have ever had in eliminations. A buddy of mine (who has a lot of championships, and won a lot of big money races) was there watching. When I got home sent me a text and said "why didnt they rerun you? That was the longest tree I have ever seen." They had to rerun at least 2 pairs earlier in the day, and one pair of footbrake cars from that same round. They constantly seem to have issues with their timing system. At one point during first round they had the box on the line open looking at something. I told him I didnt know, and when I mentioned it to the track manager when I was getting my money she said "I dont know, but the starter probably didnt have the tree ready." Sure, whatever. Our dial ins were on the board, the other pair was off the track. I told my brother in law that shit like that makes me not want to go back to places. You know, he probably still would have won the round as my car spun a little when it left and was not going to run the number, but I at least would have liked to had a fair shot. It's going to be awhile before I go back there.
Oh, and even though I fattened it up, the EGT is still excessively high. Between not being able to get the thing to stop being lean, and that flooding itself business while it's not running, I may be done with this APD carb. I really think I'm going to stick my old BG back on for the next race and see if it will get the EGT below 1150 (I was right at 1200 all yesterday and it was lean enough it actually missed lean popped a couple of times.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:03 am 

Got up yesterday morning, saw a buddy had won Saturday at the other track with mediocre prep, told him congrats, and he said the track was "on point" all day. They were running again Sunday. I decided since everything was loaded up, I was going to go ahead and head up there. I still need to figure out shock settings for when the track isnt "on point" as it is spinning on the hit a little, but, I was one win light away from putting the car in the winner's circle. I had my worst light of the day in the finals, and it wasn't even in the same zip code.
The motor is still lean, but man it's consistent. I think I'm going to toss a little more jet at it and just run it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:51 am 

Sounds like you're having fun again. Driver consistency will come back with time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:05 pm 

I went up a couple numbers in jetting, checked the float level and it's still good, and bumped up the fuel pressure a touch more. Honestly, I think it's sucking the bowls dry and that's why jet changes arent doing much to help the EGT reading or the way the plugs look.
Either way, it's pretty consistent.

I'm going to head to GALOT this weekend. Everyone says it's the nicest track in the state. I havent been there since they tore down the old Dunn-Benson track, rebuilt it and renamed it GALOT.

I'm now kicking around going to Bristol the last week this month and run two days of the SFG race there. I've never been to Bristol, everyone says it's really nice, I really want to run an SFG race one of these days, the better half is all on board with going, and it seems now is as good of time as any.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147  Next