www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:09 am 

I try to have the camshaft ground with the appropriate amount of advance/retard built into it. On drag race engines, it's sometimes hard to get it nailed down 110% because some cars are traction limited, some aren't, etc.

Good feedback for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:47 am 

I had to give it a shot. My stock rod motors always ran best with the cam in at either 100 or 102, so I figured I would move yours 2 degrees and see how it responded. It responded by slowing down a touch.

I forgot to add one more thing I learned this past year; I entered way too many big money races, especially given how much I was struggling at the time. Next year, I'm going to limit it to 2, maybe 3 big money races.

I ran some numbers on that 393 I bought, and I guess when he was told it was 12-1 the original owner rounded up. The best I could come up with was 11.7-1, and that was with a 60 cc chamber. A 64 cc chamber is only 11.3-1. That's not a deal breaker for me as one of the best running stock rod motors I had was only 11-1 compression, and that was with domed pistons and open chamber heads, so the flame travel wasnt going to be near as good as with the flat tops and closed chamber.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:21 pm 

Kinda weird how the Big Block Chevy is happier with open chamber heads and the biggest dome you can put in it but the Cleveland is the opposite. You would think: similar set up, similar outcomes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 am 

Agree on the 11.x:1 - you can refer back to how mine responded to the new fuel. It's now off season and fortune has smiled on us because ain't nothing broke here. Just basic winter maintenance is on the schedule. Actually working on the shop to get full use of the lift and not working on a car.

The last big $ race here was this last weekend Friday/Saturday. I didn't get to go because of family things that took priority. But they had a hell of a party. Great weather in 70s both days, huge turnout for a little 1/8 mile track in west Texas. Super, No Box and Jr classes both days with a full Box and No Box 32 car shootout on Friday after the main race. 216 cars took the first round on Friday, 185 on Saturday. Here's my update I posted on the track FB page:

"Here's a Shout Out to everyone that came to race with us this Thanksgiving weekend and to the most excellent crew and management at BCRW. Friday - 638 rounds in competition. Include two time trials plus Shootouts - 1086 total rounds for Friday, Saturday - 533 rounds in competition. Include two time trials - 903 total rounds on Saturday. Estimated total rounds for the weekend - 1989 rounds. Get some of that."

We run a good, fast race here, no slackers - time trials started at 10 both days - Friday the crew had the main race done by 10 PM and the shootouts done by midnight. Saturday they got it wrapped up by 9:30 PM. I did get to go out Saturday about 6, helped at the ticket booth for a while as relief person. Handing out tickets with lights like .003 vs .0006 (.003 lost), dead on with X both lanes, one ticket left lane was -.0007 under dial and the right lane was -.0003 under. Everybody said it was a go big or go home thing all day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:42 pm 

Yeah, that race last weekend was a killer. 250 entries Friday, 274 Saturday, 263 Sunday. The number of triple zero reaction times each round was unreal, and the number of pass after pass where both cars were dead on would have been incredibly discouraging for a beginner to watch.
I'm definitely not entering near as many big money races next year. I'm just not in the same league as a lot of those guys, and I'm pretty sure I never was.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:39 pm 

I've had a little bit of a setback in preparing for next year, but not near as bad as it could have been. Two weeks ago on Monday while working out (I do xfit, and before anyone has any negative stuff to say about it, I've heard it all so save it), I had something 'pop' in my right elbow (and I'm right handed). I went to an orthopedic doctor Wednesday, and he was worried I tore my biceps tendon. Since we went to St Augustine Florida for five days this week, (Sunday - Thursday) and got home last night, I had scheduled my MRI for this morning. I got the results back already and luckily all I had done was tore a muscle. That is something time heals, not surgery. So that was a big relief. I still cant get too carried away for awhile, but at least I'm not going to be clear out for a couple of months.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:02 am 

Why anyone would make comments about you staying/trying to stay fit is beyond me. Glad it can be fixed with natural healing. Since you've been working things, it should heal faster than a lard azz like me LOL. Actually, I've been working on modding the shop to allow better use of the lift. Lots of up/down ladders and sticking my head into spaces too small, tossing lumber around. So getting some work out anyway. A 20' chunk of 2x12 Doug Fir is about 80 lbs and a sheet of OSB around 55lbs, so not light weight stuff. Especially working 8'~10' off the floor.

Also note - staying fit improves reaction times and helps fight off fatigue during long/hot race days. I need to slice off about 20 lbs by March if possible. If.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:27 pm 

Falcon67 wrote:
Why anyone would make comments about you staying/trying to stay fit is beyond me.

Because it's crossfit, and the rest of the fitness world hates crossfit and crossfitters. I've been told it's a cult, been told "everyone who does it gets hurt" although no matter what kind of exercise someone does if it's strenuous you WILL get hurt eventually, been told "crossfit is the scientology of the fitness world", etc.

Thanks. I'm hoping after a few weeks of scaling stuff back on that arm that I will be back to almost normal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:55 pm 

Yea, well - when I did step aerobics with my wife I was the only guy in the class. Stopped doing the weight routine (legs to day, upper two days later, etc) The other gym rats kinda looked askance at it. I liked it. Hell of a workout. The perky little instructor could make you want to run away and hide inside of 30 minutes. After doing that for 12 weeks and not lifting ANY weights, going out into the iron room, flopping down and doing 3 sets of 8 on the leg machine with 750 lbs kinda shut the negative nancys up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32