www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:14 am 

I'm gonna sum up my Fall Fling experience with one sentence; TOO MANY CARS.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:38 pm 

So here is a little longer version.
We got there early Tuesday afternoon. There were already more cars there than for the entire event last year. A buddy had gotten there even earlier and saved a spot for me and another mutual friend.
Wednesday, we got one time run (that was it for the entire event). They announced due to the high car count, we would not have buybacks. The car ran decent. During first round, they announced due to the high car count already on the property and the amount of cars they were expecting to show up, there would be no buybacks the entire event. They were predicting around 550 cars for Thursday's race. Oh yeah, I lost first round. I got treed, and the car was running off. After the pass, I proceeded to pull 12 numbers of jet out of both front and back. I had the same issue last year with it being too fat and really slowing down when the air got worse. And I wasn't about to have a repeat of last year.
Thursday, I proceeded to lose first round. I had him on the tree, thought I had room, hit the brakes pretty hard and let him around me (5.30 car).
There were 640 cars went down the track first round.
Friday, I managed to win first round with a True Start win. I was .002 red, the quicker car went .012 red behind me. Lesser red light wins. On to round two. Somehow, I managed to get lined up with the same guy I let around me the day before. And of course, I didnt learn a damned thing and hit the brakes on him again, and losing the round.
674 cars went down the track in the first round.
Saturday, the final day, we got up and there was some light rain. It stopped, they about got the track dry, and it started again. They finally got t he track dry and called the first group to the lanes around 2:30. Since I was in the second group, and it took around 2 hours to run the first group, we decided the smart call was to get that day's entry back, pack up, and go home. We didnt have anywhere to stay the night had I actually won a round or two. Friday, it took them 11 hours to run two rounds. Saturday they ended up calling my group to the lanes about qrtr after 4. Let's say I had lost the round, it took us an hour to load everything up so it would have been around 6 by time we left. Four hour drive home and now it's 10 pm. Even worse, let's say I had won first round, then lost second round around 9:30 (friday I ran first round right at noon, then second round a few minutes before 5.) We wouldnt have had anywhere to stay the night, plus we needed to pick up the dogs from the sitter at 10 am. Add in to the mix the fact I was driving like crap and couldnt trust the dial in, and the smart move was to go home. So we packed up and left instead of dealing with all that.
Saturday 658 cars went down the track first round.
They got two rounds in and finished the race sunday.
I'm burned out. All that sitting around, towing 4 hours, spending a lot of money then losing the option to buyback, was the final nail in the coffin. I wont go back to that race next year. Dont get me wrong, they ran an incredibly efficient race. Friday they finished the race right before midnight, so it wasn't like they were dilly dallying around any. They are a top notch group that definitely has their act together when running a race. But that's too many cars, IMHO.
I was planning on running 4 more times this year, but at this point I'm just ready for the year to be over. I'm going to go twice, with maybe a third one thrown in. And that's a pretty shaky "maybe" at this point.
I really plan on taking most of next year off. I have other stuff I want to work on and get running, and I cant do that when I spend all my time as well as grotesque amounts of money trying to keep my racecar running. That attitude might change before next season, but I wouldnt bet on it right now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:10 am 

Years ago when Division 4 was stronger and more tracks were running, we'd get 450+ cars on the property at the Motorplex. That's "cluster fark" level even at a national event track. Add in the penchant for the NHRA Division Director to modify the run order every day, it sucked. You're there for 4 days, you get two "event" time runs over that period and you only get more hits if you get in the Friday Gamblers, unless you're in the Race of Champions. They'd have enough that the race would start Saturday after the ROC, Track Op races and other bullshit. They would run at least 1st round, maybe 2nd Saturday night. Would take them about 3~4 hours to run Round 1. IIRC, they changed to taking Team photos on Saturday because if you went out 1st you could say "screw this team thing" and go home LOL.

IHRA, after San Antonio dropped out of the mix, squished their format into a Friday fun day/gamblers and ran the race Saturday. Sunday was travel day or you could stay and run another gamblers. This year it was at Extreme and I haven't had my "race report" come in from my guys, probably because at least two are prepping to hit the World Finals next week at Maryland Intl. Raceway.

I heard that this years NHRA D4 finals at Ardmore was a mess. You can have 30 on a team and two alternates. BUT - they let ANYBODY that had run at least two points races at Ardmore enter as "spoilers". I think it took 3ish hours to run 1st round? And the crazy thing I heard was that the "spoilers" did a hella lot of damage to the home team by taking out the heavy hitters! I wonder who's bright idea that was. But IMHO that's funny as hell, letting rando racers in and having them end up take out your top 10 or so racers. D'oh!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:38 am 

Our IHRA bracket finals got cancelled due to Ian. They were supposed to be this weekend in Darlington. They moved it to next spring. Where that is a problem is, several tracks have already signed with WDRA for next year.
We got A LOT of rain last night when the storm rolled thru here. Got some wind, but it doesnt look like there was any damage other than a lot of leaves and pine needles down. Our power flickered one time, just long enough to make everything "reset". I had tuned up the big generator early in the week, so I was prepared in case the power went out.
Next weekend is the big dog/outlaw doorslammer race at Piedmont. Then three weeks later is Farmington's door car race. As of now, I am really planning on that being it for t he year. If things go well, and I mean, really well, I'll give some serious thought to going to Galot for one day in November for the LooseRocker door car race. But with the way things have been going, I am NOT gonna hold my breath on anything going well those two races.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:37 pm 

I cant catch a break. For the outlaw doorslammer races, if they have over I think it is 46 cars, they dont allow buybacks. They must have had 60 cars in today's race.
My first pass, in the open time session, the track was still kinda green. It shook the tires so hard, I honestly thought something broke so I lifted. When my buddy who was in the water behind me said my car left marks on the surface like a funny car shaking the tires, and they stopped the next pair so they could spray the starting line again, I decided it wasn't my car. Went up for my last pass in the open session, was .008, 1.303, 6.194@110.2.
Left everything alone, went up for my first official time run, was .014, 1.302, but it slowed to a 6.214@109.5. Went up for the last official time run, was .030, and it felt late when I let go, went 1.300, 6.196@109.9.
Awesome, we are finally on to something here. I am seeing the tree well, the car is leaving great, I might be able to go some rounds.
First round, dialed it 6.19, left the box alone, and was lined up with a car dialed 5.14. Ok, dont get cute at the finish line, just run it out and trust the car. I let go of the button, it didnt feel stellar so I hit the bump down once. It left, was green, it carried the front wheels 40 feet, set them down, and when it should have shifted (still shifting by time), it didnt. When I realized it was taking too long to shift,I started to reach for the shifter, but before I got to it, it got on the rev limiter. I banged it in to high, but the damage was done. It went 1.301, 6.236@ 109.3. I was .009 to his .011. He cracked it twice when he went around me.
I tried it over and over at the trailer, and it worked every time. BUT....it seems like it is taking way too long to actually shift. It is set at 2.30 after the transbrake release, but once the brake releases, if I count until it shifts, I am almost at 4 every time.
I dont know why it suddenly stopped working, but I will probably switch it back to rpm for the next race.
I'm not a big fan of a 50oz external balance motor getting on the chip at 7800 like it did. Luckily it wasn't on it for real long, but still.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:31 am 

I'm just gonna bore you all to death with more useless rambling on this thread that wont die.

I got the new shifter solenoid, and when I installed exactly where the other one was, I decided I didnt really like it. So I changed it's location on the bracket. I will go this upcoming weekend, and if it acts up when shifting by time, I will switch it over to rpm. I really think the solenoid malfunctioned though, and not the process that fires it.

So, it seems last weekend on my first pass when I had to lift due to tire shake, it had the front wheels in the air, and the pan hit the track, again. But this time, it created a crack in a weld. I discovered that yesterday. I tried to smear some crap on it to get it to stop, but it's still leaking. I hate having to change the oil with only at the most, a couple of races left, but it looks like that's what it's gonna take. I need to get the oil level below the crack and JB the hell out of it and hope it will hold for a couple of races.

Also, there is a possibility my car will be double entered in the door car race next weekend, but I will only be driving one entry. I asked a buddy if he wants to double up in my car and he said he may take me up on the offer. He's REALLY good, and I've been curious for awhile as to what my car could do with someone better than me behind the wheel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:12 pm 

Holy milk shake batman. The oil looked bad, and I mean, really bad. I havent seen oil that milky since I cracked a block. I actually popped the radiator cap just to make sure it was still full of water, and it was. I decided to say screw it, and do a full oil change. I pulled the filter, cut it open, and other than some small, misc, random crap, there wasnt anything sparkly in there, so that's good. But man the oil looked bad. I guess I need to get more heat in the motor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:48 am 

kv racing wrote:
I guess I need to get more heat in the motor.

If it cold out and on methanol, it's always a struggle to get enough heat in the oil to boil off the moisture. Truthfully, once it gets to a certain temp I don't think it's doable, unless you run a pcv system and run the thing at temp for hours. At least we never did on the circle track cars, I can only guess that short duration drag racing would be worse on it.

Nature of the beast I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:32 am 

I'll just say that in the last half of the year, I have more arm bands from medical visits than race tracks. Been a ruff year. Looks now like we won't hit a track again until 2023.

The way I kept the oil clean in the dragster was a 3/8" hose + valve for a major air leak, and the vacuum pump. With the air bleed I could get the motor above 180 in a reasonable amount of time. I'd actually keep it open or mostly open until I rolled toward the water box. I like to stage at 180. I'll also note that several people we've run with say "screw it" in the early and late part of the year and switch to gas. If we got to the track and it was 40s~50s, I had to pull the scoop and dribble gas into the carb to get it to fire. Especially those days I'd drain the catch can every 3 passes.

One guy I know got his car to fire right off in cold weather. I'm like "how the hell do you get that to work?" He pointed to the base plate - he left a nitrous plate under the carb and had a small pump that pushed a bit of fuel to the spray bar. Gave the pump pushbutton a couple of shots and it'd light right off. Hah!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:42 am 

One guy I know got his car to fire right off in cold weather. I'm like "how the hell do you get that to work?" He pointed to the base plate - he left a nitrous plate under the carb and had a small pump that pushed a bit of fuel to the spray bar. Gave the pump pushbutton a couple of shots and it'd light right off. Hah![/quote]

Great idea on the nitrous plate. Old is new I guess as I do remember reading that some really old cars (think:1920's-1930's) had a foot pump bulb to get gas into the carb for cold start up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180  Next