www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:18 am 

Sounds like you're set up.

Stainless sugars real bad if that back side of the weld isn't protected in some way. I've done stainless exhaust, and yes, you have to purge or fill the pipe with argon before welding.

I haven't fully decided how I'll do it on this sink yet. Thanks to youtube university, I've seen a guy weld it from the outside of the sink, with it flipped over, allowing you to purge the whole sink bowl. I also think I'm going to try a 15° angle on the tungsten, as a few other videos showed that helps when welding sheet metal. I'm also looking to buy/make chill blocks for it to, as those seem to help as well. I've watched and learned a lot from youtube these past few weeks.

I'm really not 100% set on tig, either. I've seen guys lay series of high amp tacks using a stick electrode that worked, and I don't know what the same thing wouldn't work as well or better with a mig gun. I've got the mig wire to do it, so I might practice like you said both ways. I don't really care what it looks like, so long as it doesn't leak or crack. The welds will for sure not be left, as they will be sanded smooth and then "brushed" to match the rest of the sink finish. I hope that I don't blue the stainless from heat too badly, although I've seen videos of electro-chemical cleaning of stainless welds take care of that. I wonder if someone local to me does that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:53 am 

There's a subject I dont know enough about to fill a thimble.

Anyways, I did manage to get the motor together, in the car, and yesterday got it running. That whole process was a huge ordeal. Thankfully I took a day and a half off work, or I never would have gotten it done. It fought me every step of the way. Some of it was self induced, some of it was just bad luck, and some of it was the mechanic gods saying "watch me fuck with this guy." I may take the time tomorrow and spell it all out, or maybe not.

But it runs, it sounds better than I expected, and it is loaded up and ready to go to the track today.

I already changed buttons once this year thinking that was my issue. Also changed where it was mounted and how I was letting go. None of it helped.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:24 am 

Ugh. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:33 am 

I can't weld stainless yet, but Holley has $169 1 3/4 x 3 stainless collectors on sale for $19.35. 31531HKR.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:16 am 

I find any steel is easier then alloy, because that's what I do most of. Stainless is just picky on cleanliness and back purging, I've done some custom stainless exhaust stuff. I'm not medical certified by any rate, so if I can do it, chances are you can too.

Steel changes colors when it's up to temp and molten. Pretty easy to tell when that is.

Aluminum IMO gets "glossy" when it's molten, no color change. So if your mask is too dark, or you're in a dark area, it might be hard to see when that happens. Aluminum is also picky about cleanliness, and it pulls heat away very easily compared to steel. But once it's heat "saturated", it requires a lot less amperage. On thicker pieces of aluminum, I'll actually heat it up like you would welding cast iron, because it will weld so much better once it's warm.

The thinner the metal, the more important fit up is. It took me a while to realize that the guys building headers weren't bridging 1/2" gaps doing so, and that's one of the reasons why their welds look so good. Butt joints on sheet metal quite literally need to butt against each other.

-my 2 cents

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:17 am 

kv racing wrote:
Ugh. :roll:

Waiting on the vlog..........

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:47 pm 

Well it's posted. Like I said in the vid, I was hesitant to even post anything at this point. All this continual carnage makes me look like an even bigger idiot than I am. Well, maybe I really AM that big of an idiot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:47 am 

I took today off work because when I dropped the head off monday, the shop said it would be ready by thursday. Guess what isn't ready yet?
I need to stop expecting people to actually do what they say they are going to do. I told them, I HAVE to have it back by thursday, even if that means getting it back with just the guide fixed, a new valve lapped in, and a box of new springs that need installed. I would install the springs myself, but I had to have it thursday so I could try and get it back together to make saturday's race. He said it wouldn't be a problem, and he would have it ready to bolt on. Obviously none of that was true. Now I just hope he calls before noon.
Ya know, I'm really, REALLY tired of constantly fucking with this damned thing. It's always broke, I'm constantly wasting money and time trying to keep it running, and I think it might be time for the car and every ounce of cleveland shit I have laying around to find a new home and someone else to torture.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:10 am 

kv racing

I feel you man. At least you still get to race some. I still have not been to the track with my car since 2018 :roll: I just keep doing stuff to it to improve things. Like a few weeks ago I finally found a guy on fuckbook that was parting out a 70 Cougar. Man I jumped all over getting the front bumper w/brackets and the rear bumper w/brackets. He actually had a never installed front bumper too. You bet I got it too. Got all it for $250 and only had to drive 1 hr to get it. I have been waiting 12 years to get these. A dumb drug addict backed into it with his F150. 1st pic is how it looked. I had to use the dumpster at apartments to try and straighten it the best I could. Took me 3 years to find a fender. Here are some current before and today pics. Original back bumper damage was from pushing it from behind which took the V contour out of it. New one looks so much better. Brackets are a little bent but F it, its so much better now. I only have the out riggers holding the front bumper on. I have to get some new front Carriage bolts.

ImageCougar Bumper2 by 359daddy, on Flickr

ImageCougar Bumper3 by 359daddy, on Flickr

ImageCougar Bumper4 by 359daddy, on Flickr

ImageCougar Bumper by 359daddy, on Flickr

ImageCougar Bumper1 by 359daddy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:47 am 

Working on the car for 15 hours, to go to the track and make three passes and break something is not fun in anybody's book.
I got the head back yesterday about 3 pm. I had run over to the shop earlier in the day to get the other 8 springs so I could change them out. I asked him what I needed to do; do they need a shim, a cup, anything? He said nope, they will fit in the spring pocket and just install them. I went home, fought to get them changed, got all the valve train put back, and then went to the shop to get the other head. Right away I noticed it had shims under the springs. I asked him and he said, yeah, they needed the shims to come out right. FUCK! I had to not only go home and put the head on and everything associated with it, I had to pull the springs off the other head and put the shims under them. Doubled my work.
I got it fired up this morning. Nothing is leaking, and it sounds fine. It's loaded up and I will leave for the track here in a little bit. I cant honestly say I am confident nothing is going to break. My track record with this engine has been even worse than my normal track record.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180  Next