www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:03 am 

I might finally be making some progress with this thing.
I didnt win a round, but nothing broke and I did find one thing I had screwed up, plus I did mess up one other thing while there. Have I mentioned lately I'm a dumbass? Well, I'm a dumbass.
Made the first pass and it went 6.357. The EGT was still scary high. We're talking 1400*. I decided to pull just a couple degrees of timing just in case it really was that lean, just to try and make it a little more safe. I didnt put the light on it, instead just loosened the hold down bolt, moved the distributor a fraction, and snugged the bolt back down. Or, I thought I did.
Went up for our last time run, and it was turd. Burnout was ok, but when I went WOT, it took forever and a day to get to the 2 step. It ran a blistering 6.59. Oh crap, now what did I do?
First, let's put a light on it and see where the timing is. 24*.....oh, that's not gonna work with iron heads. Reset the timing. Ok, now let's address the carb. Last week the EGT was actually lower when it had the factory .158 jets in it than when I put the .168s in it. Ok, let's put it back to stock. Pulled the front bowl, changed the jets. Pulled the back bowl, had one jet out and I realized....there's no jet extensions on here. Gawd I'm a moron. No wonder the EGT was thru the roof and the thing felt lazy after it set the front wheels down.....it wasn't getting enough fuel.
Screw it, put the factory jets back in the back (they are a one piece extended jet designed for the rear.)
Ok...now what do we dial? The air had gotten worse and even the alchy guys had slowed down a couple of numbers. I figured it might pick up a couple after the carb fix, so I went ahead and stuck a 6.36 on the window, figuring I was probably holding two. I was lined up with a fox body that was dialed 6.87. He left, I left, and right away knew I was holding more than two. First pass it went 1.34 sixty, this pass it went 1.31, and you can feel that difference. Well crap, now what do we do? I caught him just past half track and made the decision to just try and match his speed and lead him thru by as little as possible. I am NOT good at that. I managed to give him the stripe back by .001. I didnt even know it was that close, but I was laughing my ass off coming up the return road. Wide open it was going 106 mph. I ran 6.40 @ 97 mph on that pass. I determined I was holding 4, maybe 5, not two. It really looked like it was on pace to go a low 6.32. Bought back, went up for second round. In the lanes next to me was a dragster, behind him was a dragster, in front of the dragster next to me was a 5.40 door car. No need to count back to see who I have, they're all a lot quicker than me. Dial it down one and run it out. Put a 6.31 on it and pray.
It felt good when it left, went thru the lights and it was close...looked at the scoreboard and saw 6.312, but no win light. Crap.
Got my timeslip and saw I was .015 to his .007. I was dead 2, he was dead 3. Ugh, his ten pack made my .015 bulb mathematically ineligible.
But like I said at the top, I made some progress and think I have something to work with now. I still need to fatten it up. I really want to run my old BG on it. I think I can get the fueling more under control with it. It was on the motor when I first tried to fire it yesterday, but it was leaking out the front and back. I didnt have time to figure out where from, so I unbolted and put the APD back on.
I have one more chance to run the car before the big Bristol race. But right now, things are looking promising we will be going to actually race.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:02 am 

>Working on the car for 15 hours, to go to the track and make three passes and break something is not fun in anybody's book.

If you don't get enough of this with your door car, buy a dragster. :lol:

Sounds like you may be getting an handle on it. I cannot believe the head guy said "no shims required". I keep about 5 lbs of hardened shims, rare is the spring pocket that matches installed height. And on aluminum heads there's always a .060 cup to start. I'm sure with a solid mill and an accurate DRO you could do it on a unfinished casting, but in practice I wouldn't expect it.

I spent last week moving a bunch of stuff around and filled a big curb trash can and a half with toss outs. Moved a big shelf, re-parked a few things and got a surprising amount of room freed up.
Looks like lots of space, should be able to park the Falcon next to the dragster and still get the F-350 in the first bay.

Still 15 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb work room.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:42 am 

I'm jealous of the amount of space you have. There is a lot of stuff in there, but it looks fairly well organized.

I went last night. Piedmont was gonna run their annual "Big Dog vs the World" race this weekend. They basically open up their big dog (pro mod) rules, offer free entry, and $15k to win. They were expecting around 20 cars for the event, but I think they ended up with about 12 or so. The weather went to hell on them. Yesterday was about picture perfect, but the rain is headed this way today. So they made the call early to cancel saturday's portion (was going to be the final qualifying round and then elims), and run everything yesterday. I think the weather kept some of the pro mods away.

Anyways, they always run that door car class during these events. It makes a good filler class. I took half a day off so I could get there early and make a couple of passes during the open "shake down" session. I had my original BG carb on the motor. With the 393 it is back to a mild "sneeze" when I go WOT from an idle. It had stopped that on the 377, but I guess this motor is just big enough and needs just enough more fuel it's back to doing it. It ran decent, but not as good as I was expecting/hoping. It went 1.335, 4.030, 6.336@106.95.
I stuck the APD on, which I did fatten up some, and went up for another open time run. Talk about a difference. 1.307, 3.998, 6.290@ 107.52.
We made two "official" time runs, then went in to elims. I lost first round, bought back, then kicked it .003 red. It wouldn't have mattered anyways as the man in the other lane was .001, dead 1. Cant do much against a two pack.
The good news is, I made four passes with the APD carb. All four passes it went 3.99something to half track (3.998, 3.990, 3.998, 3.998, 3.991).
I think the car is pretty good right now. The EGT is still higher than I would like, and even higher than it was with APD on the 377, but it seems consistent and is not building an excessive amount of water temp during a pass. I was out of new plugs, so I never checked one. The current plugs are too cold, so they need replaced anyways. It currently has NGK -8 in it. That's the same plug I ran on the 377 with 13-1 compression. Since this thing is only 11-1, they're too cold.
I'll decide this week if I'm actually going to run the car again before we go to Bristol, or just change plugs and run valve lash, and let it sit for a weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:58 am 

That's pretty good performance out of that APD. Sounds like a keeper.

Should have gone to Midland this weekend - it was a "Big Country" racer butt-kicking. 5 of the 7 left in No Box were local Abilene guys. Last 4 were all us and the split, $600 each then ran for the points. Benny is going to the IHRA World Finals in Memphis for like the 3rd time in NoBox, Wes from Hobbs is going in Top, friend Robert is going in Sportsman for Extreme. Big Country people did so well that the Odessa racers protested and Sunday morning everyone got a car inspection LOL. Robert drove out in his white Chevy V6 pickup that runs 17.50 in the quarter and won another Sportsman race. Hit a .009 in the quarters in the truck for the bye to the final and then beat their Sportsman champ in his 12.00 Lighning pickup.

Have a lot of space, but also a lot of junk. I've been trying to fill a curb can with "stuff" every week but I don't always get time. Told my wife I need to take a week sometime when it's not 9xF every damn day and rent a dumpster. Then do the "does this box of crap bring me joy" and just get rid of a couple tons of stuff, run a truck bed of steel stuff across the scales. Just cleaning and moving one 4' 5 shelf unit produced about a half trash can of discards LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:47 pm 

Oh. My. God.
I need someone to work on and tune this thing and all I will do is drive, badly.

The car isnt going completely straight when it leaves, not even with me staggering the rear pressure 1/2 a pound from side to side. I decided I needed to put a little more preload in the ladder bars to straighten it out. I also figured I needed to change the oil before I go next week, plus I wanted to put a new set of plugs in it, one step hotter than what I have been running. I havent been able to find any timing mark on the ground strap, and from what I have read, if the plug is too cold, it will do that. Since it is the same heat range I was running with a 13-1 motor, and this thing is only 11-1, that made sense. I also ran valve lash. I also decided I wanted to put a mark on the balancer at 40*, so after the first pass if the timing mark isnt where I think it should be, I can crank some more in it and have an idea where it is.
I got all of the other stuff done, and the last thing to do was to mark the balancer. I bumped it over until my mark showed up. I grabbed a flashlight so I could actually read the engraved marks and get the new mark put right on 40. I looked, and, wait, what the..... ??
The original mark, that I really thought, and would have bet, was stuck right between the 34 and 36 marks, was really on 28. Holy fudge....
This stupid thing has been going high 6.20's and 1.30 flat sixty with no freakin timing in it. It probably had about 30* in it. As we all know, iron heads need more than that. It has 36* in it now.
Now I really dont have any idea what it's gonna run.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:21 am 

I can tell you how it's gonna run - "different". (If we ever meet up, he's going to slap me before saying Hi)

The 393 was about 11.5ish and the plugs were -7. At 26 - ?, should have wrote that down somewhere? and the AFDs the heat mark was right on the curve. I'm 36 with the iron heads. I forget what plug I have in it. Ugh, brain fade.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:33 am 

Falcon67 wrote:
I can tell you how it's gonna run - "different".

:lol: :lol:
Yep. That's exactly correct.

And that's what it did. First pass it went 6.239. The air was a little better than last week, but not .05 worth of better. I left everything alone and it went 6.247 on my second time run. Still no timing mark on the plug. The closest thing to a timing mark I could find was right at the base of the strap. So I stuck a couple of degrees in it and went up for first round. I stuck a 24 on it, and went up for first round, fully expecting it to pick up a little with the timing change. It didnt, and I missed the tree. He drove around me, so I dropped at the cone since I was behind and promptly got the big ole L. It went 6.259, and I killed just a little mph. I figured it was on pace to go a low 6.25 wide open. Bought back, still couldnt find any timing mark on the new plug, so I pulled the 2 degrees out, and stuck it on a 25, really thinking it was going to run a 24. I left, he left, and I could tell it was going to be close. Still thinking it was going to run a 24, I figured I needed to get rid of one, so I did, and got another L. I was .019, he was .015, he went dead 7, and I killed one solid number to go 6.265 on a 25. Even if I would have run it out, I'm pretty sure I would have still been behind. But instead of by .012, it would have been .002. Oh well, he's not currently leading Top in points because he sucks. LOL
At this point I think all I'm gonna do is clean the car up a little, but leave everything motor wise alone for next week. It went straight when it launched and it seems fairly consistent now even though I cant get a timing mark to show up on the plugs.
It leaves ridiculously hard for the et it runs. It leaves really hard, but the mph is kind of soft for the current et. It went a best of 1.289 sixty foot yesterday. But it's only running 107.5 mph. It's currently a combo of a torquey motor with a loose converter and a ton of gear making it leave harder than it should. But I'm gonna ride it out the rest of the year since there arent many race dates left. Then I will decide what I'm going to do next year. If you were to ask me right now, I would tell you "take the year off", but we all know that mindset changes frequently.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:09 am 

That's kinda odd that even with more timing it's not setting a mark. But it slowed, so seems the initial shot at timing was pretty well right? Might be plugs still too cold? Maybe Brent can shed some light on that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:16 pm 

Yeah, I'm a little baffled by it myself. The plugs are -7, and they are set at .030 gap. It does sound better at idle with 36* of timing, and is definitely making more power.
As long as it's consistent right now, I guess I wont worry about it.

FYI, the current points leader won Saturday night, wrapping it up with one to go. Then turned around and got runner up on Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:32 am 

Did your egts change between one pass or the other? With timing that retarded, I'd say it was part of the reason your egts were so high, but I'd be sure you aren't lean aswell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180  Next