www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 169  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:14 am 

I swear there is something in that old Ford green paint that makes sheet metal last 10~20x longer than other colors. I've seen so many like that, they much have sold a shit-ton of cars with that color. All in all, it's not too bad considering.

Before you blow it off completely, there's a 302 model on CA on Hemmings for $25K. They apparently draw big $ these days. You could probably drop $10K off that because "Hemmings" for a more real price.

Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:54 am 

I've already blown it off. I want something that I can work on a little and then be able to drive. That car isnt it.
I dont need another serious project. I have too many of them already.

The forecast for next saturday isnt looking much better. Now they are saying mid sixties, but 50% chance of rain during the day.

I got the Biondo switch wired in. It takes a lot less pressure to activate. I messed around with the practice tree function in the car a little, and it's a bunch quicker when I dont have to mash the button so hard. I think the hard part is going to be getting used to not trying to push the button thru the dashboard now, and when I do that, it's gonna be late.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:55 pm 

They're gonna try to run tomorrow. Supposed to be 74*, rain in the morning, then clear up until that night. Hopefully they can get it in. I have the car switched back over to alchy and everything is loaded up in the truck again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:30 pm 

Introducing 47 years of wiring hacks. No, I don't remember what goes where. Yellow and Green go a lot of places though. New switches, bulk wire and misc stuff on order to clean this all up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:19 am 

Looks better than my car when we got it.
That's not saying it looks good though. LOL

I'm not going today. The universe is trying to tell me not to go, so I'm not going.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:03 pm 

kv racing wrote:
I've already blown it off. I want something that I can work on a little and then be able to drive. That car isnt it.
I dont need another serious project. I have too many of them already.

The forecast for next saturday isnt looking much better. Now they are saying mid sixties, but 50% chance of rain during the day.

I got the Biondo switch wired in. It takes a lot less pressure to activate. I messed around with the practice tree function in the car a little, and it's a bunch quicker when I dont have to mash the button so hard. I think the hard part is going to be getting used to not trying to push the button thru the dashboard now, and when I do that, it's gonna be late.

Kid, that is exactly wh6y I got this Dragboss Mustang. A family project, and a car we can drive, and enjoy, not race. Brents 354 ci 600hp Cleveland will be going inn, and a TKX 5 speed. Wife really wants to drive the car, not just race it. Almost to the point, where would rather drive cars, than race them, must be an age thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:08 am 

I've been saying a long time; I really like racing, I love driving the car, I really like being at the track, I love the people at the track, I like tinkering with the car, I love the competition aspect, but I HATE having to full blown work on it constantly.

That said, not sure if I made the right call yesterday or not, although I feel I did. They were supposed to start at 10 am. It rained early morning and it took them until 1 to get the track ready. Then when there down to 6 Top cars left/9 Footbrake cars, it started to rain and rained them out.

Now I need to decide how badly I want to pull the trans out before this upcoming season. It's been in the car quite awhile, and the band was way out of adjustment when I checked it earlier this year so I am sure the band has some significant wear on it. I do need to fix the intake leak before this season kicks off, and try to figure out why it's leaking a little out the front seal around the damper and if I want to do anything about it or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:29 pm 

Waiting on Amazon et al to deliver parts and pieces so I can work on re-wiring the car. Also need to pull the 2V intake and put the 4V funnelweb on the car. Crap - I just ordered from Jegs and forgot I needed intake gaskets.

Crazy Jegs thing - Got numerous Jegs emails about specials for the last two weeks. One was for a dragster cover, so I looked at the link. It was $305, so I thought "nice...pass". Forgot about it. Sunday in the spam is another email from Jegs "An item you looked at has a new lower price" OK, LOL, let's see whats now $5 off. A dragster cover - $139. $165 discount. Do what? Fine then - it'll be here Wednesday.

Noting another change - free shipping now requires a minimum $199.99 purchase. Summit is still $99 to hit the free mark. Jegs not doing so well apparently.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:03 pm 

When'd you get a 4v funnelweb?

Last I thought you said you were going with a chi piece.

There was a NIB tfc 4v intake on ebay a month ago. I really wanted to bid on it, but couldn't justify the need. Went for 445, which I thought wasn't bad considering the times.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:36 pm 

That reminds me, I need to pull the intake off the racecar and reinstall it. It's leaking out the rear. I better order another intake gasket or three while I'm at it.
I think I'm gonna pull the transmission and have it gone thru before I run again. It's been in the car for several years now, and when I adjusted the band this past season, it was waaaay out of adjustment. That doesnt make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I got to messing around with the 393W for the better half's car. I have most of the parts to put it back together, so saturday I had decided I was going to get the crank put back in it. The main bearings all looked really good so I figured I would just re-use them. As I was pulling the caps and really looking things over, one of the main bearings had a rough spot on it. Crap. Ok, I'll put new mains in it, they arent expensive. Got to cleaning up gasket surfaces before I was washed the block and noticed the front cam bearing was pretty beat up. Crap x2. And then I decided the decks really needed skimmed to clean them up to make sure the gaskets would hold. Crap x3. Ok, now I gotta take the block to the machine shop.
So now it's getting a full blown refresh; new bearings, new rings, new gaskets, but still going to re-use that solid flat tappet that Brent custom ground for it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 169  Next