www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 157  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:00 am 

We had out Thanksgiving race this last week. I'd already put my junk up and we had a high school football playoff game on Friday anyhow. Good turnout, around 200 cars. And only three classes - Super Pro, NoBox and Jr. Super Pro took 1 1/2 hours to run one time trial. We even had 36 Jrs on Saturday. All about 3x our normal crowd. We had people from places like San Antonio (about 5 hr pull) and Albuquerque (7~8 hr pull). Our track guys bust ass - time trial started at 10 am, everybody get's two, then eliminations. All that, one round of buy backs and two 32 car shootouts all done by 11:30 PM on Friday. Saturday we got done around 9:30 PM, no other races just the main deal.

Feels kinda lonely in that sea of cars and no race car LOL. I'm in the process of taking the dragster apart for inspections and upgrades.
- motor inspection, check the bearings and look at the cam timing. Something took about .05~.1 out of the 60' this year, could be converter.
- Methanol + vacuum pump, lines, fuel pump, etc
- more stall, only getting maybe 4800 or so
- new chute, belts
- new front tires and wheels if I can find a buy. Say "dragster" and the response to anything is "$600". :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:37 pm 

Chris how do you like the rail? Often wondered about getting those.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:30 pm 

Not Chris but I enjoyed the hell out of the two I had. First was a front engine that initially had a Boss 302 and C4 followed by the all aluminum cleveland match race engine I bought from Dyno Don. That car ran a best of 7.73@ 178. I sold that and put the drivetrain into a rear engine dragster a friend ( partner) built.It went 7.33@ 182 best. Both cars were super light ( under 1,000 lbs without driver.) The ONLY downfall was you HAD to have at least two "crew" whenever I raced it. This was in the days before air shifters and delay boxes. We ran a class called Top Gas West. Heads up no breakout. I was the only Ford in a group of BBC's and Mopars.
Randy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:11 pm 

Yes always wondered about that Randy. Those are wicked times with little motors. I see there was a funny car style car forsale in your area with Cleveland in it. Looked really cool. https://www.racingjunk.com/Funny-Car/18 ... ohol-.html? categoryId=21&offset=3. Here it is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:16 am 

Steve.k wrote:
Chris how do you like the rail? Often wondered about getting those.

I like it so far. It's a "technician's car" - nothing on it that doesn't need to be there to make it go. Easy to work on, but needs to be watched. Had a motor mount bolt come loose, pretty sure the rear motor plate is flexing and the cause of the "hesitation" on launch (binding up the driveline), broke one of the blow back braces. Have to constantly check fasteners after each race because of vibration and twisting. Hard tail is a ruff ride, you'll know where every crack, dip and pebble is in the pits. I put the Falcon in the 34' trailer for storage while I work on the rail - dang there's a lot of space in a 34' trailer with a door car in there LOL. Takes 2 minutes to get tied into the car for a 5 second run. Gets a little warm in there in the summer but the windows are always down. Upside is that a SFI 3.2A/5 top makes a nice winter jacket.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:12 am 

May want to angle your headers out. If you ever puke a motor, you'll be doing a direct oil injection onto your tires. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:00 pm 

Steve.k wrote:
Yes always wondered about that Randy. Those are wicked times with little motors. I see there was a funny car style car forsale in your area with Cleveland in it. Looked really cool. https://www.racingjunk.com/Funny-Car/18 ... ohol-.html? categoryId=21&offset=3. Here it is.

A guy named Jim built that car 20+ years ago. It's nice but I'm not a funny car guy. He had some "different" ideas on the 351C and I couldn't get him to see the light. My R. E.D. would have been in the 6's by now. Remember it was '82 when I ended the partnership and built a Mustang II with the aluminum engine. That ran 8.60 @ 162 at 1,900 lbs without driver. Going fast was fun but I have fallen back on the Shelby , by far my favorite of all the drag cars I've raced in my 50 years of doing it. Stealth is more fun to me now. Look stock and go faster that it looks like it should.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:03 pm 

gt350hr wrote:
Look stock and go faster that it looks like it should.

And that's where I am with my project.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:10 pm 

Man you guys are moving. Even for light cars that's serious fast. Im impressed and best of all blocks are holding together!Yes I believe that Randy we get more people snooping under hood of 65 stang. No one believes its 358 cubes and when they see all iron they really scratching their head. Kinda funny!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:02 pm 

blykins wrote:
Little more duration, little wider lobe separation. :) A 377 will pull harder on a big port head than a smaller engine. I think the 106 LSA is curbing your top end.

If you're interested, I'll send you a cam to try. If you like it and it picks up, then you can pay for it. If you don't like it, then pull it out and send it back.

Damn, now that is a hell of an offer. I'll give you a call in the next couple of weeks. I'm gonna take a break from working on it for a short while. I got kind of burned out.
Just so you know, I wasnt ignoring your offer, I havent been online since Monday morning. Just got home from a short vacation. Me and the better half went to St Augustine for a few days. Man I love that city.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 157  Next