www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 107  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:30 pm 

kv racing wrote:
kv racing wrote:
So I ordered a new timing set for it.

And of course I ordered the wrong set. I ordered the one with the gear for the aftermarket W style crank, and it's wrong.
I tell ya, I should have built a 408W with AFR heads ten years ago and been done with all this cleveland stuff. I would have saved money and ran faster than what it does now.

Doesn't fms make a spacer for that purpose?

Wait, did you order one with the integral spacer and need the one without? I can't remember which crank/gear combo needs what anymore.

Maybe the easiest solution is to send it back and get the correct one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:57 pm 

The inner diameter is too small and it literally wont fit on the crank snout.
I tried it on a Windsor crank and it slid right on as expected. The standard C crank gear slid on as expected.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:48 pm 

IIRC the C crank snout is a hair bigger. Could be fixed on a lathe for sure. The Rollmaster I have for this 393 with the W style crank has a real tight fit on the crank gear. I spent a lot of time honing the bore on the lathe to get a tight slip fit. At first, it would not even get half way. Even then to get it off I had to wave the hand torch over it to get a little heat, move it .25", little heat, move, repeat.

I may be back to trying to sleeve the old block - the dryer ate another sensor, this time the thermistor. I picked up a couple of thermistors today, but if the machine can't control the internal temp it'll burn out another thermistor. Temp control is through the main control board and those are obsolete for this Samsung model and nowhere to be found. Decent Maytag replacement dryer is $825 so that will crimp the fall budget for a while. Not bad for free delivery and haul off the old one. We've had that one about 14 years, so not too bad. Shame too, it's an easy service. I can start the Keurig, remove 10 screws and have the top/front+door and control panel all off to service the heating, thermistor, lint trap parts of the unit by the time the coffee is ready. 6 more screws and some fiddling with the belt tensioner and the drum assy lifts right out. And every part is available - except that dang control board.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:25 am 

I thought at first maybe the key had a bur on it, so I tapered the edges of it a little, then took some 800 grit and polished on the crank snout a little thinking that was why the gear wouldn't fit. It didn't take long for me to realize it was just the wrong size.

Here's something interesting that I'm not sure I quite understand and probably has to do with the differences in the ICL and LSA. Brent's cam in my 377 with domed pistons had a ton of clearance. That same cam in my 393 with flat tops bounced an exhaust valve off the piston, twice. I put the Crower 304R cam in it, and it has a ton of exhaust valve clearance. I'll probably check it again before I assemble it just to make sure I did everything correctly the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:25 am 

I try to be smart about this stuff, but that is always a "how does this work again?" LOL. I know the piston chases the exhaust valve up the cylinder, so it's usually the one in trouble. I think the tighter the LSA, the quicker the intake starts to open and the closer it could get to the piston. I start at about 30 BTDC and rotate the crank 2~4 degrees, then push the valves down with the check springs, repeat until about 30 ATDC. If anything feels real tight, I get the dial indicator on it. I'm usually surprised at how much clearance I end up with.

My "honing" technique was a piece of 3/4 PVC wrapped with 400 grit and some WD-40. Spun the gear in the lathe and gave the bore a rub for "a while", then test. Did not want to overshoot. I have boring tools, but since it went almost half way to start with, I needed to go real easy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:12 pm 

Overlap will kill you on piston/valve clearance, and the ICL will either kill one valve or the other. If the cam is really advanced, the intake valve won't have as much clearance. If it's really retarded, the exhaust valve will suffer.

I would venture to say that overlap plays more of a role than valve lift. If there's a lot of overlap, the valves will be open longer and get closer to the piston.

On a Cleveland with a big exhaust valve, you really have to watch about hitting the cylinder wall.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm 

I dug out the build notes from the original owner (the 377 that originally had the Crower cam in it), and with the domed pistons he had written down it had .160 on the exhaust for clearance (with head gasket, no lash), and .085 on the intake.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:38 am 

Supposed to be sunny with a high of 57 tomorrow.
Right out of the gate, I'm gonna say that unless the mufflers slow the car down, which I dont expect, it should go 6.24-6.25 tomorrow. Or maybe I'm just optimistic. LOL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:18 pm 

That should have been expected. First round it popped the head gasket on the passenger side. At least now both sides are even at 2 a piece. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:25 pm 

Houston I think we have a problem!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 107  Next