www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:44 pm 

It sounds like a regulator issue to me. Either that or your pump picked that exact time to crap out, which is kind of doubtful.

I havent been racing in awhile now. I missed the last two weeks due to going back to Iowa for my grandmother's funeral. I was thinking about going this weekend, but have since decided against it. It's an IHRA Sportsman race, and you have to be a current IHRA member to participate. They will sign you up at the track, but couple that with the $150 entry fee, and I will be in to it for almost 300 bucks before I ever start the car. At this point, I think I'm gonna have to pass.

In other news, it looks like I bought a new motor. LOL
The fella is coming over tomorrow to drop it off. It's a 393C with C302B heads, and the entire motor is disassembled. He listed it for sale online a couple of months ago, I inquired about it, and told him I would get back to him later. We had gotten kind of chatty with each other, and this morning he sent me a message asking if I would be interested with a grand knocked off the price. Given that was 300 bucks lower than I was going to offer him for it, I told him "sold." LOL
Hopefully my Super Comp headers will fit. LOL
I've been told the C302B exhaust ports are half an inch higher than stock. Given my motor has been lowered half an inch in the chassis, I'm crossing my fingers they will fit. I know there is no way my Hedman's will fit, but those ports shouldn't need the bigger tubes on the Hedman's as much as the factory heads do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:30 pm 

Bad regulator or crap in the lines.

Falcon67 wrote:
Test-N-Tune was Saturday. Dragster did "OK", still have some issue with idle. Does fine for a couple of passes then acts like it wants to load up. First two 5.478, 5.477. The had to mess with the idle, hard to keep it going staging - 5.459. Same next, 5.49 with the 60' off 2, probably water or street cars in front or is was loading up. Turned in idle screws and that seemed to help a little. Talked to my carb guy, said take it down from 7 psi to 6.5. Did that and it all went to hell. Was on a 5.47 pass (per 60' and 330') laid over big in high, got way hot, oil pressure below 25 - shut it down. LOL 6.18 @ 74 coasting, that's a cute time slip. It apparently lost fuel pressure and got warm, 230F. Driving back to pit the fuel pressure was wigging around like a seismograph. After cooling off oil pressure was AOK, fuel still weird so I put it up. Need to call Aeromotive and see what they think, acts like a regulator issue - since all was good until I tweaked it 0.5 lbs. As a test I put it back at 7 and it did the same thing - hold for a bit then dance around. We may still be a hair on the lean side on jetting I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:44 pm 

Very sorry to hear about your grandmother.

I'm thinking reg or possibly crud, although I run a stainless 100m filter in front of the pump and filter the fuel before it goes into the tank, and the tank stays very clean. Aeromotive thinks either pump or reg. I'll run a flow test at the end of the return line to check the pump after I rig up a pass line to take the carb out of the loop. Got a year warranty on the parts which should still be good. Have to try and get that done this week, tied up with business next week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:56 pm 

The fella dropped the motor off tonight. I was wrong on one point, they arent c302b heads, they are B351 heads. And my headers wont work.
Luckily I have all winter to take care of that. A buddy of mine sent me a link awhile back of a place that will make headers for just about any block/head combo in just about any Ford chassis. They arent cheap, but I know they'll fit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:51 pm 

Location: Stranded in Iowa - Better get the Breakdown squad out
kv racing wrote:
In other news, it looks like I bought a new motor......fella dropped the motor off tonight. I was wrong on one point, they arent c302b heads, they are B351 heads.

What's it have for and intake? I have a pretty good stash of the older FMS high port stuff so if it needs a new lid, look me up.

Best,
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:09 am 

Found D. Jones great analysis of these and other "C" heads. Forget though why you can't use your headers. Is it simply the bolt pattern differs? Can the pipes be cut-off right past the flange and a new flange added (center-lines of the primaries s/b the same).

http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/ ... rint_topic

kv racing wrote:
The fella dropped the motor off tonight. I was wrong on one point, they arent c302b heads, they are B351 heads. And my headers wont work.
Luckily I have all winter to take care of that. A buddy of mine sent me a link awhile back of a place that will make headers for just about any block/head combo in just about any Ford chassis. They arent cheap, but I know they'll fit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:04 am 

kv racing wrote:

FWIW, on the dragster my friend found someone to cut the custom flanges to mate with the AFD ports, then I bought a BBC header kit from Summit and we made that work. The custom headers from the regular dragster people were in the $1200~1400 range. Ouch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:33 pm 

For the intake, it has the short W351 intake. It's already been drilled and tapped for the injection bungs too. :)
Headers wont fit because the ports are raised, and the pattern is different. When I was trying to find someone to weld different flanges on my headers earlier, I couldnt find anyone that was interested in doing it. I did have a buddy send me the link to a header shop that will build custom headers for 800 bucks, add another 100 if you want a step put in, which I really might.

As for the motor, it's 393 inches, Scat steel crank, GRP rods, 12.5-1 compression, B351 heads, roller cam (he actually forgot it so he's going to bring it to the track in two weeks), and supposedly the whole thing only had 20 passes on it when he got it. The guy who originally built it lost his job and sold his racecar but kept the motor. He got to where he needed to sell the motor, but didnt have any offers on it as a complete unit, so he tore it down to part it out. That's when the guy I got it from bought it. He was going to drop it in his car, but then found a turn key car he liked better, so he sold the car he had and now has a big block powered tube chassis t-bird.

I did discover tonight the dampner is for external balance. I will be taking the rotating assembly to the shop and getting it done up internally before I put it together. I'm done messing with external balance stuff that's gonna make any decent power. A couple of chambers look like they have had a rough life, but given those heads are around 35 yrs old, it's not surprising. As long as they dont leak, I dont care.

I'm also going to figure out if the heads have had any work done to them (get them flowed), and if I dont like what they flow, I'll get some work done to them. Here's a couple of not so great pics.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:05 am 

Might ask these guys, they have quite a few patterns

http://www.spdexhaust.com/Ford_B.html

Looking at gaskets, they show to fit M6049 B351/C302/D302 cylinder heads

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:33 pm 

so, i have discovered a small "issue" with the intake....

first, it's a W351 intake that has been ported to match the B351 heads....the port work looks great too....

it was obviously an intake without a valley tray originally, so they welded one to it...once again, it looks really good and took me a minute to realize it wasnt "factory"....

but, the issue comes here....on the carb pad, they welded, yes welded, a 1" tapered four hole dominator spacer.... that's an issue...my toilet uses the 4150 pattern.... and with it being a four hole, it also gets in the way of my primer system i drive around on....AND, yeah i'm not done yet, with the spacer already welded on there, even if i did bolt a 4150-4500 adapter on it, my hood wouldnt fit cuz it would be 9" tall....

so, i went to Ron's site....their terminator system is designed for the dominator pattern....i t hought maybe i could just buy a new throttle body that would fit this bolt pattern, but, they have basically discontinued everything i have other than the actual throttle body....so, i dont know if i could just bolt the termintor on and have it work correctly...
they use a different barrel valve and the new pump is way different than what i currently have (and i'm not sure my pump would flow enough to supply this motor anyways)....and i'm not going to bet the new style pump will even work with my homemade mount....

i might need to buy an alchy dominator for it...and a good one of those aint cheap....and i totally forgot, i would either need to figure out how to make my belt drive pump work, or buy a new big electric pump for the back....

like i told someone, if it takes me 8 months to get this done the way i want, so be it as there is nothing wrong with the motor that is in the car now...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next