www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:40 am 

Finally got to the track for this first time in over month. We went Friday night to test n tune, and like a dumbass, I entered a 32 car shootout with a car that hadnt been down the track since I swapped cams (like 6 weeks ago). It was kinda chilly, it was really humid, a lot of junk kept oiling the track down so they couldnt get a good rhythm and keep cars going down the track, and the traction pretty much sucked.
First pass, it spun, took a right turn, and only managed a 6.34. Ok, we can work on this. Let some air out, softened the shocks a touch, and went back up. Then one of those "no time" punk ass grudge racers decided to do a 3 minute long burnout and oiled down the starting line with just about every fluid in his car. Great. 45 minutes later I was the first guy to pull out in to that lane. The car left, spun, and slowed to a 6.36. At this point I am at least .05-.06 off where I am sure the other cam would have been running, even with the spinning. No more time runs before the shootout. I lowered the 2 step 500 rpm, set the rear shocks on full soft, let another 1/4 lb out of the slicks, and did a John Force burnout. I dialed it 6.36 and was running a car dialed 6.22, so I knew we would be close all the way down. The car left, and picked the front wheels up. My first thought was "uh oh, I gotta get rid of a bunch at the other end." Right about the mph cone I started whomping it like I was trying to kill a big spider in the car. I knocked 5 mph off, broke out by .002, and let him back around by .002. Crap. I almost pulled it off. He was .025 and dead on, I was .037. I forgot to pull time out of the box after lowering the 2 step that much.
Yesterday we were supposed to run for 10 grand, but mother nature had other ideas. So they doubled the purse up for today. We get one time run, then go racing. Bad thing is, it's only supposed to get up to around 52*. This cam isnt as quick as the other one, but I'm hoping it is a little more predictable at this point. I never could find that happy spot the other one really liked.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:57 pm 

So at this point, I just have to bite the bullet and admit there is something wrong in the combo. Right now, my gut is telling me it's the injection. We got one time run today. I guessed before hand it would go 6.29. It went 6.302 and hooked great. I left everything alone, dialed it 6.30 as everyone was either running under by one or dead on, checked my weather station and the corrected DA had only changed 150 feet (basically nothing) and the dew poin had dropped 2 degrees (also basically nothing), went up for first round, and ran a whopping 6.350 wide open. Yeah, I lost that round. I did not buyback. Now the plan is to run leakdown and see what it's doing, and if that looks ok, I'm gonna order an alchy compatible pump and regulator, and put my carb back on it. Something is wrong as it has been doing this all year, and unless the converter is jacked up, I'm betting it's in the injection.
Regardless, I am frustrated with it and if someone were to offer me a decent price on it right now, it would probably be gone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:25 am 

Sounds like my year more or less. The plugged filter was a big thing. When I pulled he carb, I also found that the secondary adjuster was loose and that may have been the cause of the idle up one pass, idle down the next. I ran it in the shop Saturday and all seemed good - pressure good, idle steady at 1400, 1700 with the bleed open. Screws out 1 3/4 which I don't think matters much since I leave flat on the floor at 3200. Can't make the TnT this Friday, so we'll unload Saturday AM and see what's what. Maybe it'll behave for one weekend. Weather is supposed to be excellent both days.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:54 pm 

The carb is back on and it runs. Had a couple of leaks that I had to address right away, and one was a gusher. But it's all dry now, fires right up, and hopefully will get back to the consistency level I expect from it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:06 pm 

Hope it does well. Look forward to hearing your results.

We're not going to run again until maybe 11/10. The ground is so soaked that the track could not park overflow so the race was put off. I waited three sunny warm days to move the trailer from the shop door back to it's parking spot and still left tracks in the yard. Water still standing everywhere after a week, so we've had plenty. Long range weather doesn't look good for racing either. Wettest October in 104 years if I remember - right at 12". Way more than normal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:57 pm 

The only thing I'm gonna say about my trip to the track today is this; about one more train wreck of a trip like today was, and I'm gonna sell that pain in my ass and find something else to waste my money on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:28 am 

kv racing

Sucks your having so many issues. Years ago when I finally got my car consistent I was actually approached by a few bracket racers. They saw how my car ran and how I was cutting lights and they told me I should seriously try bracket racing. Of coarse I was pumped up that these guys that run 5's and 6's in the 1/8 were watching little ol me run 8.1's all day. So I was like "F" ya I will. I entered and I was 3rd best my first time. I was like hell ya. But the more I watched these hard core bracket racers, the more I realized it was really another full time job. I had to resist the bracket club. 1) Im not daddy money bags to keep replacing parts. 2) I never wanted to get to the point that I dont enjoy my car every day even when im not racing it.

My point is, maybe you should take some time off from the brackets, get your car right and love your car again. When your frustrated and angry you know nothing ever goes right tools fly and shit gets broken. I think you will be a much happier person and you might enjoy racing more. Just my observation when seeing your posts on this thread. Not looking to argue but constructive dialogue is welcome
-Matt
P.S. Because of my work schedule and family life I only get to race 2 times a year and its very hard to contain myself. I will tell you though, when I do go I am the happiest in my world and take full advantage of it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:01 pm 

Point taken.
But here's the thing, I dont drive the car for the sake of driving the car, I drive it more for the competition aspect than anything else. Going fast is a bonus, but the most joy comes from knowing I was better than the guy in the other lane. I'm old and cant throw an 85 mph fastball anymore, I cant touch a basketball rim, I cant run a 6 1/2 minute mile anymore, but I can drive that car and be competitive with a 24 yr old. I dont enjoy test n tune. To me it's unnecessary abuse on the car when nothing is to be gained by it. I've had a rough year, nothing has gone right. And this past weekend was a complete train wreck, but let's just say I was fortunate I didnt end up burning my dually to the ground. The racecar issue was caused by a brand new $105 regulator being bad out of the box, and things snowballed from there.
I get frustrated, true, but I havent thrown anything out of anger in years. Luckily one positive about getting old is you grow out of that bad habit. My better half will tell you, when I am thrashing like that and trying to figure out what is wrong, I am actually pretty levelheaded.
But, one more weekend like this last one, the car will be sold. I'm tired of spending vast quantities of money on it and not getting anywhere. I can find other things to waste my time and money on that wont be as frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:17 am 

I hear you man, we all have our misfortunes in life. Like I said, im not trying to characterise you but you know how when some people write on social media and forums its sometimes not easy to know their actual mood and or intent.

First off, I am very happy you didnt burn up in your vehicle. Besides drowning, I think fire would be the worse to expire with.

I too love the competition of beating the other guy or girl and I have won more than I lost. I only go to test and tune Fridays cause that was the easiest days for me to get off work. Also, because I dont bracket race , Sat and Sundays are pointless for me cause they limit non bracket racers time to play.

Ok man, well I hope this turns around for you real soon. Im sure I speak on behalf of everyone on the board that were pulling for you. Gett'er done
-Matt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:50 am 

Fcast for the weekend is COLD - for us anyway. I've a half mind to unload the dragster and load the 7.60 door car. Not sure about trying to run 5.40s on a cold track. 35 Friday night, high 57 Saturday. Maybe some sun, but not going to be much heat in the track. Sunday better at 64, overnight 42. Hmmm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next