www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:29 am 

Have to check into that if time permits! Sunday is supposed to be ugly here so Saturday may be a lot of running around, grocery store junk to beat the weather. I still think I'm not going to run the Thanksgiving race - weather looks OK for that Friday, maybe not so much that Saturday. But daughter is about to deliver 4th grand child and there's no one to assist but grandma and I. If she doesn't have it before the 23rd, they plan to induce so gonna be pre-occupied.

It'll be different next year - oldest grand son played his last football game last night. Merkel made the playoffs and could have handled Tulia if the first half but we missed all our conversions and they made one 2 point, lost by 2 points 24-26 with 2 seconds on the board. Suck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:04 pm 

Falcon67

Yup , weather is wonderful until Sunday. Today and tomorrow clear skys and highs in the 60's
Sunday raining and a high in the low 40's. Gotta love Texas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:58 pm 

Winter is coming...

Attachments:
winter-is-coming-no-wait-warm-again-ok-its-cold-winter-15334899.png [95.2 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:00 pm 

So.....
yesterday I got to the track and just knew I had figured out the issues from the previous time. After all, it had run great in the driveway. I fired it up, and right away could tell something was all jacked up. It was pushing fuel out of the boosters of my BG carb AGAIN. WTF?!?!?!
I'm not fooling around with it, so I pulled it off and stuck my bud's new QF carb on it. It pushed a little fuel, but worse, we couldnt get any fuel out the squirter nozzles. Pulled the squirters, cycled the accelerator pump, and big chunks of green rubber crap came out of them. WTF x2?!?!?!?! Pulled the bowls off, pulled the accelerator pump housing, and both diaphragms were absolutely coming apart. Holy crap. Ok, I've got two more with me. I changed them, cleaned everything out real good, put it back together, and went up for my one time run. Ran a blistering 6.64. Felt like it was running out of fuel. We decided maybe I should put my BG carb back on. I pulled the bowls on it, both diaphragms were disintegrating on it as well. I had one, KK's brother had another. I swapped them out, cleaned out all the green gunk from the diaphragms, then decided the fuel was the problem. I am thoroughly convinced the last fuel I bought at the track was NOT standard methanol, but was VP brand M5, which has some sort of power booster additive in it that is known to eat up rubber parts when it sits. And let me tell ya this, it stinks to high heaven as well. And not just when it runs, but in the jug too. It smells like the strongest smelling fingernail polish removeryou ever smelled. I drained the cell, filled it with regular alcohol, threw a guess on the window for a dial in, and went up for first round. And....it ran an even more blistering 6.72, but the guy in the other lane redlit. I came back, turned the fuel pressure way up, and stuck a 6.72 on the window for second round. Yep, 6.77 and a big fat L.
About then KK's brother said again, "you sure it aint missing? It sounds like it's missing."
Son Of A...... yeah, about then I remembered when I pulled the plugs two weeks ago cuz it flooded so bad it wouldnt turn over, one of them made kind of a "crack" when it came loose. I looked at it and couldnt see anything wrong with it, but remember thinking "I should just go ahead and change it". But, I got all caught up in trying to figure out why it kept flooding itself and forgot to change that plug. After I lost Friday, I pulled the plug out, stuck a used plug in that hole, fired it up, and promptly had to turn the idle down 400 rpm.
That brings us to this morning, the day of the 20 grander. The day where if we ran yesterday we were not going to get a time run. Yay, I still havent been down the track clean yet after swapping back to a carb. Oh well, I take a WAG at a dial in (6.35), and go up for first round. I was .010, my guy was -.004. WooHoo, time run! It went 6.413, but ran clean all the way down the track. Everything felt fine, it was just a bit slower than I expected. Second round, The air was real close to the same, but had gotten a couple hundred feet worse, so I dialed it 6.41 against a car dialed 6.24. We left close together, he drove up next to me and got about even with my door, but couldnt get around. I knew it was close and was about where I wanted it to be, so I ran it out and led him thru by .014. Too bad I was .006 too quick to his 6.240 on a 6.24. I led him thru by .014, but needed it to be by .007 to have won the round. There's no way I would have tried to tighten it up that much.
Anyways, I think the car is good now. Gonna go back tomorrow and try it again, still without a time run, but at least now I have an idea what it's gonna run.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:03 am 

All I can say is Good luck today! Thanks for the warning about M5. I only use M1 and need to get a barrel of Sonoco in the spring.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:10 pm 

Until I get time to type all of it out, I lost at 12 cars.

https://youtu.be/DNRTB7By3PI?t=30927

And yes, I hit the brakes and took 2 full mph off. I knew I needed to knock one off, which I did. Problem was, I needed to knock off two.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:35 am 

At least you finally figured it out. Did you ask anybody at the track if they did sell you m5? That's a shitty deal if they did and didn't tell anybody.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:56 am 

Crp. Usually kill 2, back off 2 but not always. Whop-whop in the dragster = 1, but it has no frontal area to help kill ET.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:49 pm 

On my car 2 mph = .01.

The track I got that fuel from is closed for the year, and I really think they got a drum of M5 by accident. I had talked to the manager the day after I bought it and he said it was just standard VP alcohol that was delivered the day before the race. All I know for sure is, I've never had normal alcohol eat up rubber parts like that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:57 am 

So the race season is over. The track that normally runs this weekend decided it was going to be too cold and pulled the plug.
After last weekend I was actually looking forward to one more weekend. But maybe it's a good thing the season ended the way it did.
Now I need to figure out what I am going to do for next year, basically decide if I want to spend even more money on the car and run those B351 heads, or just stick a set of iron heads on that 393 and save a bunch of money. Right now I am really leaning towards using iron heads on the 393, Brent's custom spec'ed cam, and my alchy carb.
This year sure was not a great one, wasnt even a good one. I did learn a few things though. Brent's custom cam is quicker installed at straight up (at zero on the crank gear), than it is advanced 2 degrees. Even advanced 2 degrees it's still quicker than the Crower cam I had been running. The Ron's injection is a fair bit quicker than my carb, but the injection is a lot more finicky when it comes to fuel delivery. Last but not least, the after market trans with all those fancy expensive parts in it, although it is practically bulletproof, it is also a touch slower than my previous trans with basically stock parts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next