www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:36 pm 

Falcon67 wrote:
Going over to the dark side - mounted the delay box in the dragster. Did 6 passes at the TnT Saturday, got it down to -.0179 and a -.0181 light with 1.020 in the box. Pushed it to 1.040 in the box and went -.020 red. So I have this all under control now - not. Totally out of my wheel house. Have a practice tree on the phone, working the dog out of that to try and get the mental rhythm going. Old bottom bulb dogs and new tricks don't mix well LOL.

I ran bottom bulb a lot before finally putting the box in the car. As you get used to leaving off the top, you will find you have to add a little more time until you finally level out. I find even at the start of the season I have less time in the box than at the end of the year, and it's all because I get more comfortable and in a rhythm.

Took the better half's car to the track saturday for a free footbrake race. It had been 15 years since I ran footbrake. My whole objective was to get my two time runs and run first round and not have to pay for anything. Be the ultimate cheap test n tune. First pass I was .013, the car went 6.558. Holy crap, this thing is fixed. Heat index was up around 100*, and I honestly didnt think it would go any quicker than maybe a 6.62 or so. Second pass I was -.009, and it went 6.542. First round I dialed it 6.55, new I was dead late, and still drove around the guy and killed 9 mph and the win light came on. Holy crap! Didnt expect that. I was late, but he was worse and ran off his number. At this point I was happy and didnt care what happened next. Next round I was only .055, but he was .113, and I killed it at the stripe again. Both passes according to halftrack numbers it would have gone .55. Third round, there was a storm starting to roll in. It had clouded up, the wind picked up (tailwind), and the temp dropped at least 10 degrees in a matter of minutes. I got lined up with a multi time track champion and figured, here's where the day ends. I had no data on this combo so I dialed it down one. LOL
He left, I left, I started to catch him, I got next to him and felt I was going around and started to rip the throttle. Ripped it like a fool as we went thru the finish line side by side. I crossed the stripe, looked at the board, 6.51. Well crap. Oh well, it was a good day. Get my timeslip and he handed me the white slip. Huh? I looked at it and it was a double break out and he broke out worse. He was .046 to my .009. Then it started to rain, and it poured! I went down to talk to him and he said he was down there spraying the shit out of me to try and stay in front. LOL It rained maybe half an hour, then stopped. They dried the track, gave everyone a time run, and went back to elims. It went .036, 6.515 in the time run, but I clicked it a touch early in the time run cuz it was moving around a bit. The car is "wagging the tail" as it gets further down track and it got a little spooky on that pass. I dialed it 6.51 and figured it would go a .50 wide open. I left and I could tell it was late. Went thru behind and went 6.506. I was .083 to his .020 and on the brakes one over. Oh well, it was a great day considering how long it had been since I had run footbrake, and was driving a car that 4 weeks ago couldnt go 250 feet on 8 cylinders and now is repeatable and consistent.
I did determine the rod ends on the diagonal link have a little slop in them. Not much, but I can make them move (the diagonal link on my car doesnt budge) and I think that's what is causing the car to start to sway the back end down track and gets worse the faster the car gets. I ordered some new ones for it and they will be replaced before it hits the track again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:11 pm 

Well Done!, Sounds like the makings of a really good day!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:32 am 

NOW - you're having a little fun. You deserve it after all the other hassle! I get the wag thing, I had that a little on Saturday evening when testing. I have developed a feel for the one I can drive through and the one that says "we're done". Worse is the thing like to start hopping on the tires a bit right in the MPH box. I also figured out the car was about 2 quarts low on water. Oops. No wonder it would come back from a pass at 210. Run again in two weeks, so more box testing on Friday.

I was going back and forth on taking the door car and running Sportsman at the finals vs taking the dragster and likely getting killed in Super Pro. Screw it, I like the long car, so what-the-hell, it'll still be fun. My friend says "Don't count yourself out - those Top guys try to kill the tree first round and half the field goes red in the first round." He's right, last Saturday race's Super Pro winner was .043 on the tree, the other guy .025. Sunday both footbrakers were .031 LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:17 am 

Last night I spent an hour on the phone with my buddy from Iowa who runs Top Sportsman. We discussed many topics, but the main reason for the call was to get some advice as to what else I should be looking for on her car. He said to change the rod ends, but when I have them off to make sure the bolts they ride on are long enough. He says they are finding a lot of cars when they were built didnt use long enough bolts and the rod ends actually ride on threads. Over time the threads get pounded down making it a sloppy fit. He also said I need to be running more air in the tires on that car. He said given what it weighs, the size of the tire, and the speed it runs, he wouldnt be surprised if it ended up with around 9.5-10 lbs in them before I was done (instead of the 8 lbs we have been running.) He said more air pressure will help it stop moving around as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:13 am 

Sounds like good advice. I always though that rod ends should ride on the bolt shank. I've cut down many, and sometimes done additional threading to make a better fit. Except the 1/4 stuff on the throttle linkage LOL. I also try to source fine thread fasteners for those applications.

I run 7 lbs in the 32x15ws on the dragster, what size tire on the car? Got some guys here running 18~20 in some MT drag radials because that's what the contact patch/tire surface says is good. I'd go up 2 lbs at a time and look at the tire face plus watch the 60'. Mo-pressure = mo-stable on the top end for sure. The 28" Hoosier slicks get 13 lbs, the DRs get 16 when used on the Falcon (or when we ran the Mustang).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:44 pm 

It has 32x16 stiff sidewall Mickey's on it. He is of the firm belief that about 80% of the guys at the track arent running enough air in their tires. He said they run 10 lbs in their 32x14s on their Super Gas car. He said he runs 8 lbs in his Top Sportsman car, and those are something like 34x17s....something huge.
I figure I'm going to start at 9 lbs, and if it hooks ok, go up to 9.5 and see what it does. I'll then adjust from there. He said since it's a footbrake car it's not going to hit the tire hard enough to shock it like a transbrake will so it could possibly get away with even more pressure than he's thinking. He did say I might have to soften the rebound on the shock though. I laughed at him and told him he just assumed it had double adjustable shocks.

He did say if the rod end is riding on the thread, to get a longer bolt and cut it down. And if needed, put a thick washer between the shoulder and the bracket to make sure it will get tight in case the shoulder is sticking out of the bracket.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:27 pm 

Be very interested to hear your results. I might try more PSI sometime later to see then.

On a side tire note, I was joking at the Sunday race with friends about how long the drag radials had been on the Falcon and they might ought to be running on the cords. Car is up on the lift tonight so I can work on the starter. Took a close look at the DRs...I see metal shining through. So got my money's worth out of those tires. And won 4 rounds on the cords last time out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:58 pm 

It's kinda funny. I sent him a text earlier that day telling him what the car was doing, what I found, and to give me a call to let me know if there was anything else I needed to look for. He said when he read what it was doing, his first thought was "not enough air pressure."

Gonna take my car tomorrow. There's a chance of scattered storms, but this track is real good about getting a race in. And it's supposed to be a bunch cooler tomorrow so I'm kind of looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:45 am 

Rained out today at the track I was planning on running. Dont feel like making the drive to the other track that is/was/may be still running today. Forecast for tomorrow looks better, and they are supposed to be running then as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:38 am 

We don't run until the first week in September. Turns out that's screwy scheduling on our part - two day race to end the points season, then the very next Thursday - 4 days - we pull to Dallas for the finals. I contracted for a barrel methanol before the prices go up, to be delivered that race weekend.
First two weeks of September are going to be way expensive. Good thing we don't run again until the end of October - can't afford it.

Pulled the Powermaster starter off the Falcon and went through the motor. It was kinda chewed up and worn, full of trash, but didn't see anything terrible. Cleaned it up real good. I bench tested it with a battery about 50 times and it never missed, so - unknown if that is the issue. Ordered two replacement solenoids from Rock Auto. One to replace the trunk mount and a spare. I found the little Ford PMGR unit I had, stashed in a box. The ears are right, but the locator ring is way smaller than the block plate so not sure what it came off of. I went through it, it was pretty bad internal. Something had a wreck on the commutator and shorted some copper. Cut some pieces off that and buffed it good. One of the brushes is so worn that it's hanging up on it's wire. Wrote it off, put it back together, tested on a whim and it works fine LOL. The local starter shop guy called Friday, he was unable to locate a nose for the old Summit unit with the broken ear. So I'll let it sit around for a few years until I throw it away. Bummer - still works good after 20 years in battle.

Hope the weather breaks by then too - 25+ day s over 100, 48 days without rain. We got almost an inch here on Friday, rained like crazy at work yet at Abilene Regional (maybe 5 miles from work, 20 from the house) they got "trace" so the day goes into records as no precip. It was 100 on Saturday, 102 yesterday, expected 108 today. Got everything stacked up in the shop with the AC running.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 61  Next