www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:04 pm 

I took my car to the track yesterday. My buddy had suggested that I needed to run more air in my tires as well. Since we were only getting one time run, I didnt have nerve enough to go from my usual 8 pounds to his suggested 9 pounds, so I went to 8 1/2. It worked well. Next weekend I'll bump it up a bit more and see what it does.
As for actual racing, well, the car is consistent (4 passes the 60s ranged from 1.352 to 1.357). The driver, not so much. I lost 3rd round. I'm fighting with the carb. It absolutely will not go from idle to wide open cleanly. And the problem is, even if that isnt messing with my lights, the fact I'm not sure what it's going to do is messing with me which messes with my lights. I've got some bigger squirters to try, and I've been told I need to fatten it up on the idle mixture screws. If I focus on trying to get the idle up before I stage, then I can seem to concentrate on cutting a light and am late. If I just roll in at an idle and mat it like I'm used to doing with the toilet, it will cough every time. It will not hit the two step when it does that, yet still leaves the same.
My better half's brother got runner up. That's 3 finals he has been in this year.

I ordered some new rod ends for the better half's car. I pulled the old ones off when the new ones showed up and I didnt like how the new ones fit the old bolts. Seemed too loose for my tastes, so I went and got some new bolts as well. I like they way the new rods ends fit over them a lot better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:21 pm 

kv racing

I was just wondering something and dont take this the wrong way. I saw how big your rear tires are and was wondering what made you put such a big tire on it? Is it because the tracks have no bite or is your suspension not set up or do you just like the look of that big tire? Just wondering. A 32x16 is a pretty big tire. Are yours the DOT drag radial or a full on slick?
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:45 pm 

My car has 14x32. The better half's car has the 32x16's (full slick). I didn't build her car (it's a four link car and probably could handle 800+ hp), but, they are both bracket cars and the key to bracket racing is consistency. Even though it might slow you down a bit, a big tire is a good thing especially when the track isn't always top notch. I know some guys are capable of going really fast on a small tire, but they cant do it week in and week out, and sometimes not even during the course of an entire day. When the track is good they sure can. But when the surface temp is 140+ and things are greasy, those guys are out there running a tenth off the dial and going home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:15 am 

Oh ok, i understand. I like the way the white Mustang looks with them fatties. I figured track conditions was a part of running the fatties. Glad to see your having some fun again. Keep it going. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:23 am 

Same here on the rail - it's a 32 x 15.5W tire. I could put the 393C in the door car and not have to go up from a 28" slick. I make easy 1/2 the power compared to the other cars in the class. Could run less tire on the rail but why - 3 years on these tires and still plenty of tread and good 60'. No spin, like the 4.50 dragsters get sometimes. Also, a smaller tire would have the middle of the car sitting on the ground, so there's that. It really needs a 33x15 or 16 tire I think, for ground clearance - not for traction LOL. I can probably do that on methanol - if I went back to gas, the motor couldn't spin that big a tire. Reaction, 60' and 330' are the money makers - make those the same every pass and that gives you the capability to work the finish line.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:57 pm 

Man, somebody buy this thing from me so I will stop spending obscene amounts of money on it.
I worked on it a little last night. I got some .063 and .055 squirters to try. All of the Quickfuel alchy carbs come with .063s in them. I removed the front .050, stuck a .055 in it, started to pull the back one out, and it pulled right out before it was unthreaded all the way. Yep, it's all stripped out. Well shit. I fooled with it for half an hour, finally gave up trying to get the .055 in it, and managed to get the .050 to seat, kind of. I fattened the idle mixture screws up, fired the car up, and tried it from an idle to wide open. Ok, no cough, but a bog where it just kind of laid down before waking up. Fattened it up a bit more, tried it again, several times. Same thing every time. Stopped, got out, cycled the pumps to see how much fuel was coming out, and noticed the rear one was shooting fuel straight up in the air. The screw was loose and the whole thing was about to fall out.
That's it, I'm done screwing with this thing. I figured I had a couple of options at this point in the game; not go racing this weekend (Labor day weekend and there were a couple of 10K to win races going on), buy a new main body and hope I could get everything off the old one and swapped to the new one before then, or, buy a new carb. I opted for "buy a new carb." It will be new technology and should be a bolt on and go (other than idle and float levels).
I ordered an APD 1040 cfm billet Enforcer.
Yeah, I'm a dumbass.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:15 pm 

That APD 1040 cfm billet Enforcer looks real nice. Hopefully that solves your problems and will last you a long time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:45 am 

Gotta do what ya gotta do to stay in the game. Go win a 10K and put the cash back in the race car savings account (the Folgers coffee can up on the top shelf behind the three trophies from 1995).

If I had a well to go to, I'd be hunting either a dual Holley Sniper for the door car, or a double EFI setup that could run methanol.

Actually, we are talking about trying to put a alcohol capable fuel system on the Falcon over the winter. I told her "$1K more or less". Have to find another cheap 750DP core for my carb guy to hack. A1000 pump, lines, regulator - then I could run either gas or alcohol.

Aaaaand - there's a puddle of oil under the balancer area where the dragster is sitting. Clean oil too. Ah, what?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:15 pm 

The APD hasnt shown up yet so I had to make alternate plans. My brother in law is borrowing a carb from a friend. It's an alchy QuickFuel 750. It will be interesting to see how my old BG that supposedly flows around 900 compares to it.
We were going to put his AED alchy 1050 dominator on my motor, but then we realized my throttle cable bracket wasnt going to work with it, so we scrapped that idea. We know the QF carb is a good one and always worked real well for that friend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:33 pm 

Hope it runs well. I like my bud-built 750, works good. No touch-ie or tweak-ie. I just clean it with WD-40 and run it. Push twice on each accel pump lever to prime the engine, wait 30 seconds or so, open air bleed valve, crank. Fires right off.

>Aaaaand - there's a puddle of oil under the balancer area where the dragster is sitting. Clean oil too. Ah, what?

Turned out to be from the inlet fitting on the vacuum pump. The inlet fitting sits nearly horizontal and that fitting never has completely sealed to the case of the pump with any o-ring. Might put a little goo on it next time the motor is out. So thankfully a big nothing burger.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 60  Next