www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:54 am 

Dang sorry to hear that for sure. No telling what you'll find inside.

We're just talking money here, cutting things out one at a time thanks to no budget. I have everything for the dragster, just need to get the heads to the shop and get them cut a little. Need to also order some restrictor push rods in January. OR - might go cheap and locktite in some roll pins in these.

I spent $300 with Jegs since they had a sale (saved $280 off normal prices) on their fittings and bought everything I need for alcohol on the Falcon. Still need a compatible pump. Quick Fuel has a 230 GPH pump with reg for $300 which looks like the deal. Like to get a starter and a Meziere pump, but I may only get the starter. The one issue with going under 7.50 here is I need a diaper or a pan - with the headers and motor mounts, there is no good way to put a diaper on the car. With the late 60s rear steer and lower control arms, I don't see how I'd ever get a pan on the car either. "frame rail to frame rail with a 2" lip" - might can engineer one but it'll have so many clearance holes as to be minimally effective. I see a lot of cardboard and construction paper play time over the winter LOL.

The big deal we're trying to figure out is how to get a better tow truck. I did a build and price, a new F-350, 7.3L gas, XLT package and carpet - $46,005. We have 5000 miles on the new 2019 Escape that we probably should not have bought. If we go for the truck, we'll have to pull $$$$$ out of retirement savings, private sale the F-350 and take a loss on trade for the Escape which I hate to do. But we can only handle one car payment. The F-150 is in good shape - knock on wood - at 149K. Can get the payment below $400 for 84 months, 7 years of car payments. Nuts.

We looked at one F-350 Saturday - 6.0 diesel, 118K, cheap. Car Fax says it's been stolen one in Oklahoma. Looks OK, but it's a "turd" - literally, it's a brown Harley edition with brown interior and leather. So it looks like a giant turd. Smoked in too, so not good for wife's allergies. And it has weird stuff like a fuel tank/tool box in the bed (no key available to open) and unknown things like "fuel monitor" inside, so it's been messed with. Not thinking that's the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:30 am 

Falcon67 wrote:
We looked at one F-350 Saturday - 6.0 diesel, 118K, cheap. Car Fax says it's been stolen one in Oklahoma. Looks OK, but it's a "turd" - literally, it's a brown Harley edition with brown interior and leather. So it looks like a giant turd. Smoked in too, so not good for wife's allergies. And it has weird stuff like a fuel tank/tool box in the bed (no key available to open) and unknown things like "fuel monitor" inside, so it's been messed with. Not thinking that's the way to go.

Truthfully, you turned me off at 6.0 diesel. I hope it's cheap because there is a good chance whatever money you save in purchase price will be spent soon enough on keeping it running.

As far as new ones go, dear god I don't know how some people do it. Luckily for you, pickups and suvs seem to be selling hot right now, so you're trade in loss might not be as bad you think.

What's wrong with your current f350?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:41 am 

Once you fix the issues the 6.0 has and make the truck the way it should have been from the factory, it's a beast. It's not cheap, but is totally worth it. I wouldn't trade mine for any of the new ones on the market now.

I need to dig out the paperwork from the machine shop from when I built that motor, and even though it's not going to help a lot since they didnt put part numbers down for anything, but I remember thinking that crank was kind of cheap for a "steel" crank, and I'm beginning to wonder if they didn't sell me a cast steel crank.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:55 pm 

The problem with the 1993 F-350 is that we're nearly at the limit of it's capacity. We carry about 11,500 with the trailer and we make about 60 MPH with the combo. Speedo says it's running 65~66 @ 2000 RPM but the wife followed me home from the track and says no, I'm 60~61. Being that everyone else is running 75~80, it's a bit hairy out there. It needs front end bushings, the right side manifold replaced and both fuel pump assemblies replaced. The truck is rated at 12K and it's doing everything to pull the load. Does it, but sometimes it's not happy about it. It's also a Super Cab and light - 5600 lbs. Even as a DRW it gets pushed around. 5.5 MPG pulling doesn't help LOL. If weather is good and terrain is fairly flat, 90 miles on one 18 gallon tank max before switching to the 2nd tank, and leaving a bit of a reserve.

The 2020 7.3 gas with the 10 speed trans and 3.73 gear is rated at 16,000. Plus it'd be a crew cab, so longer and more stable on the road. And no diesel or 4x4 junk to mess with. ESP warrantly is WAY cheaper on a gas truck. 75K for 7 years is only around $1K.

Not too scared about a 6.0, I know the issues with them from reading up on it. (head gaskets/studs, EGR cooler, injectors) There is no indication in the CarFax that this truck has had any repairs like what you'd expect if it had the known problems. This particular truck just looks "hacked", rode hard and stored wet. I ran across a 6.0 a while back that the CarFax indicated major engine repairs, maybe should have gone and looked at that one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:49 pm 

Roll pin is still intact, balancer spins when I bump the motor over. Unless something really wonky happened, I'm laying money on the timing chain broke.

When we had our 6.0 corrected, it was right at 7 grand. But, that was EGR delete, head gaskets, o ringed, freshened both heads up, head studs, oil cooler, tuner and aftermarket turbo. I'm thinking I am forgetting something, but maybe not.
It was worth every dime. Especially considering we bought the truck when it had 10k miles on it and knew all the history of it from that point on. It was paid off, and doing the bulletproof was far cheaper than trying to find a replacement truck that we could trust.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:43 am 

The new gas engines from ford are pretty sweet. It's not even a fair comparison to your old 93. The 6+ speed transmissions is what really makes them. Even the 6.2 gas engine from ford is a pretty good runner.

If you tow, and haven't test driven one of the new gas trucks, do it. It is nothing like the old 460/c6 days. We have an 04 with the 6.8 and it's a night and day difference from that even, and that's a good reliable truck. A lot of our commercial accounts are going back to gas to get away from the emissions and warranty crap with the diesels.

If you've got a 6.0 that is already bulletproofed then I can't comment. But I can't see buying a truck and then spending 7k on making it reliable, when it's already 15 years old with 100k+ miles on it. Unless it is just an absolute cream puff, there is no way I'm taking that chance. Maybe if it was 2010 I could see doing that, but there are much better options out there $$ wise.

Then again, I deal with the rust belt, so any 15 year old truck is likely trashed because of it. So maybe in texas those 15 year old trucks aren't that bad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:21 am 

I wanted the 7.3L as soon as I watched the video with the Ford engineer talking about it. It's a fleet motor for sure, designed to run long with minimal maintenance. It's like a $1750 option on a Super Duty, so well worth it. No, there'd be no comparison for sure. The 93 uses air bags with 50 lbs, so the ride is smooth - like riding a smooth 2x12. I tell people I race a hard tail dragster and tow it with a hard tail truck.

>So maybe in texas those 15 year old trucks aren't that bad.
The 1993 has 106K on it and looks new inside and out. One little split in the dash. Even the cassette player works. The 2006 we looked at isn't near as nice. Trucks hold value here. I did a look around yesterday on line, 2015 and up are all running in the 39~50K range with 70~120K miles. Out of maybe a couple hundred F-350 DRW trucks in a 200 mile range, I saw two gas trucks. Two. One 4x2. So a new one at 46K seems better than anything used. Just can't fit one in the house garage LOL

EDIT - PS, did a Build-n-Price just to see what it would take to replace our 2004 F-150 Super Crew, 5.4L, XLT. $43,500. So might as well have the big truck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:11 pm 

booyah45828 wrote:
The new gas engines from ford are pretty sweet. It's not even a fair comparison to your old 93. The 6+ speed transmissions is what really makes them. Even the 6.2 gas engine from ford is a pretty good runner.

If you tow, and haven't test driven one of the new gas trucks, do it. It is nothing like the old 460/c6 days. We have an 04 with the 6.8 and it's a night and day difference from that even, and that's a good reliable truck. A lot of our commercial accounts are going back to gas to get away from the emissions and warranty crap with the diesels.

If you've got a 6.0 that is already bulletproofed then I can't comment. But I can't see buying a truck and then spending 7k on making it reliable, when it's already 15 years old with 100k+ miles on it. Unless it is just an absolute cream puff, there is no way I'm taking that chance. Maybe if it was 2010 I could see doing that, but there are much better options out there $$ wise.

Then again, I deal with the rust belt, so any 15 year old truck is likely trashed because of it. So maybe in texas those 15 year old trucks aren't that bad.

My truck is a 2004 and only has 82K on the odometer. It's a Lariat, 4 door dually, fully loaded. I paid 31K for it in 2005. I spent 7 grand to bulletproof it last year and I'm still in it for less than a new one that I would outrun. Like I said, I wouldn't trade it for any of the new trucks on the market, not even straight up.
I've known more guys to have problems with the 6.7 and the 6.4 yet everyone says the 6.0 is the junk one. One shop I follow on facebook has had a whole rash of 6.7s in their shop with blown up motors.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:09 am 

I read same - had an issue a Diesel World that detailed everything your could do to a 6.0 to improve it and it was impressive. Should have saved it. If the Harley Turd Truck was some better color and less messed with (more like bought and driven) I'd be more interested.

Lots of details on improvements there

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/ford/pow ... m-solvers/

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-t ... -reliable/

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-t ... of-diesel/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:10 pm 

I think I need to change my name to Bad Luck Racing. And, with as much bad luck as I always have, some of it has to be self inflicted. I have really been questioning if I'm even a mediocre mechanic at this point. And this weekend has not helped. First, the better half's car uses an ATI adapter to bolt the powerglide to the Ford motor. It's a 1/2" thick aluminum plate. Flush mount bolts hold it to the block, then in the correct locations for the glide there are studs. Well, in the process of pulling the motor yesterday, it got bound up on one of the studs. I couldnt get it to go back, come forward, up or down at that point. It was stuck with a capital S and I ran out of patience. So I got rough with it. And broke the bell housing. Fine, I'll deal with that later whether it be cut the bell off and use my old JW bellhousing and find a different converter, or hope I can find someone with a stock case for sale and have the guts swapped (that's the cheaper solution so I dont have to get a different converter.)
Then today, I got the motor apart. I honestly expected to find a broken timing chain. Nope. It does have 3 badly bent valves though. Chain was still connected but did not turn the cam. So I pulled the bolt that holds the timing gear on. Well, started to, and the broken bolt fell off. Oh no. Pried on the gear a little and it popped right off, broke pin stuck in the gear as well. Ok, why did both break?
I pulled the pan, gave a quick survey, didnt really see anything wrong, until my arm bumped the oil pump and it moved. Huh? I noticed right away a bolt was missing. Where the hell did that go? I always pull the pan with the motor in the correct orientation so if there is anything in it, it stays there when it comes off. I fished around in the remaining oil and did find a couple small pieces of aluminum, the lock washer, but no bolt. Oh no. I started looking up around the cam, and there it was, wedged between a lobe and the block. That explains why the cam stopped suddenly and broke the retaining hardware in the gear. I did pull the two pistons on that the throw by the wedged in bolt, and man, those bearings look fantastic. That's the only thing that has gone right. Now I need to get the rest of the rods out as well as the crank and make sure it didnt break the block when the pistons and valves had a rough meeting. Then after that I'll figure out what I'm going to do for a motor for her next year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 102  Next