www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:12 pm 

Amazing how it traveled up there. I would have thought it would have just dropped straight down. Must have got caught up in the windage around the crank to get that high up.

Ugh, sorry about the bellhousing. I have one of those "big block" C4 s with the big block bell housing that is missing the locating pin area on one side. I'm considering taking it in and maybe having that area welded up, then trying to fix it on the mill. At least you have the pieces LOL. The JW bells are nice - after you get past the $450 price tag. On the dragster, the converter is actually a PG converter and I use spacers and a crank pilot adapter to mate the thing to a 157 tooth JW flex plate with both the PG and C4 bolt pattern. The only mod to the converter was I had to take it in to Michael (Freakshow Performance) and have him take about .060 out of the depth. It was a bit fat on the first go-around.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:35 pm 

Yeah, it has a glide converter now, but it was made for the 1/2" thick adapter, so the mounting pads are too thick to use with a normal bellhousing. I have the JW bellhousing already, but would need to get the pads milled down on the converter, or get another converter.

One piston has a spot on the pin boss where the bolt hit it. I havent looked real close at the others yet to see if it hit anywhere else. I'm not real sure how I'm gonna get that bolt out of there truth be told. Hopefully it will be a lot easier than I am expecting once the crank is out of the way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:30 pm 

Although I honestly think the only one who gives a shit is Chris, I did decide to get the bell housing welded up instead of doing any of the other number of options. The guy who did the bulletproof on our diesel also does a lot of fab work; welding stainless, aluminum, built his own chrome moly racecar chassis, etc. He said he's done several in the past. I know it's not the "correct" way to fix it, but it's the cheapest and easiest. if it was a 900 hp ride I wouldn't even consider it, but then again, if it was that it would an all aftermarket case/bell anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:12 am 

kv racing
I give a shit buddy. I dont usually respond to much on this thread cause you and Chris mainly talk about bracket racing. I dont know much about all the numbers game with the bracket racing so I stay quiet and just peek in time to time. As for your bell housing, im glad you got it fixed. As for you saying if it made 900hp, there was a discussion on the forum about SFI stuff really sucks compared to most factory stuff. The discussion was about SFI flexplates tend to crack more than factory flexplates. Does this apply to SFI bell housings too?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:02 am 

kv racing wrote:
Although I honestly think the only one who gives a shit is Chris, I did decide to get the bell housing welded up instead of doing any of the other number of options. The guy who did the bulletproof on our diesel also does a lot of fab work; welding stainless, aluminum, built his own chrome moly racecar chassis, etc. He said he's done several in the past. I know it's not the "correct" way to fix it, but it's the cheapest and easiest. if it was a 900 hp ride I wouldn't even consider it, but then again, if it was that it would an all aftermarket case/bell anyways.

Hey Kid V, I do read with great interest your racing exploits as well as those from Chris' posts.

But if I can't add to the discussion, I don't post. BTDT with real race cars long ago and I have a ton of stories for broken parts, $ spent and wins & losses, none really relevant today to your stories.

Keep them coming.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:32 am 

I follow along, it's interesting to me. I don't race but I don't not race, I may get a chance to try it some day just to finally have the experience. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:27 pm 

DeathWobble

every time i see your user name i grin. you must have had or still have a F250. That deathwobble crap aint no joke and feels down right scary :o

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:32 am 

I care too. I just don't race and have little to contribute. I do find your trials an interesting read, and I've been in enough scenarios where nothing seems to go right, So I feel your pain on occasion.

As far as death wobble goes, anything with a trackbar can have issues. Jeeps are notorious for it, I've been in one that had it. We hit some railroad tracks at an angle, needless to say it's no laughing matter. Dodge is currently having a lot of issues with their trucks too, so it's not just fords.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:34 am 

I'll bet it'll hold up fine. The guide pin holes just locate, so if that is still on the mark it's good. Way cheaper than a new bell anyway. I agree - if it's making big power, then the specific JW bell is probably a better way to go anyhow. If not - send it! :D

We're pricing a new 2020 Super Duty - at $50K+, it better drive like a limo LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:59 am 

Falcon67 wrote:
We're pricing a new 2020 Super Duty - at $50K+, it better drive like a limo LOL

It will ride great unloaded. The problem is that on the newer trucks they have the spring rate so light in the rear for rider comfort that it drops several inches when loaded heavy. So either plan on investing in a set of helper air bags, or get used to people flashing their brights at you while driving.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 102  Next