www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:15 am 

Just a little update because it's been a few weeks.
I havent done anything to either car. And quite honestly, I'm real close to not even racing this year, or only going a couple of times. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Windsor at this point either. I keep thinking about putting rings in the 393, but it's going to cost almost as much to put it back together as the 408 (unless it needs a new piston, which it might.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:00 pm 

Ya im just waiting for this crazy Texas weather to make up its damn mind. Skip bipolar Its like a 6 polar be'atch down here. One day - snow -next day 70 degrees - next 2 days misty with fog - next 3 days 30 degrees with mixed in rain - next 2 days 30 degrees with 150mph winds - next 3 days 60-70 degrees and beautiful......then repeat in the exact opposite order. Shit is getting irritating but whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:36 am 

The weather here has been one extreme to the next as well. Luckily it hasnt gotten really cold nor have we gotten any snow, so I'll deal with it. We did have a couple of nights where it got down in to the mid 20's, and the week before it was really humid and in the low 70s and we had the AC on for about 4 days. Then this past Friday night we got about 3 inches of rain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:41 pm 

Its been tough on me fore sure. I changed my days off to Thursday and Fridays so I can try to race more on test n tune Fridays. This way I don't have to use my vacation to play. The weather is very uncooperative. I'm itch'in to see what my car will do after putting the Calvert 2 degree wedge plates in rear and putting Drag Bosses old shocks on. I need to re-tune the suspension to make sure it still goes strait. Then I can put my 5000 stall in. I'm waiting for this weeks check so I can order some axles. I'm thinking going with Moser 28 spline. I know, people might say why not go with the 31 spline. Answer is, I really don't want to take this 3rd member apart. Its perfect and don't feel like messing with it. Also, I don't have the money to just get another 3rd member. I figure Moser 28 spline will be fine with my power levels. 520hp/450tq at crank so probably around 440hp/385tq or so at 15% loss to wheels.

So people who have aftermarket axles, are the price of the Moser's the way to go or are there more economical axles with the same quality as Moser or Strange? By the way, my ring gap was set up a little loose so there is a possibility of a 125 shot later down the road :twisted:

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:55 am 

I have 31 spline Mosers in my car, and have no idea how old they are, but they've been 6.20's at 2900 lbs a bunch, and a few 6 teens at the same weight. The splines are still straight and they looked great when I pulled them out 2 years ago to swap gears. I had 31 spline Mosers in my Granada and never hurt one there either. Granted it only ran 6.80s in good air, but weighed 3500 lbs with driver. My brother in law's car has 33 spline Mosers in it, and it runs 5.60s at 2600 lbs. He said they've been in there since he built the car in 1995.

My dad's old Falcon had 35 spline Strange axles in it, and running 6.40's at 2900 lbs had one break. And it broke in the middle, snapped off like a tree branch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:51 pm 

nova467spanker wrote:
Its been tough on me fore sure. I changed my days off to Thursday and Fridays so I can try to race more on test n tune Fridays. This way I don't have to use my vacation to play. The weather is very uncooperative. I'm itch'in to see what my car will do after putting the Calvert 2 degree wedge plates in rear and putting Drag Bosses old shocks on. I need to re-tune the suspension to make sure it still goes strait. Then I can put my 5000 stall in. I'm waiting for this weeks check so I can order some axles. I'm thinking going with Moser 28 spline. I know, people might say why not go with the 31 spline. Answer is, I really don't want to take this 3rd member apart. Its perfect and don't feel like messing with it. Also, I don't have the money to just get another 3rd member. I figure Moser 28 spline will be fine with my power levels. 520hp/450tq at crank so probably around 440hp/385tq or so at 15% loss to wheels.

So people who have aftermarket axles, are the price of the Moser's the way to go or are there more economical axles with the same quality as Moser or Strange? By the way, my ring gap was set up a little loose so there is a possibility of a 125 shot later down the road :twisted:

Matt

Think your good to go with Moser's or anothers 28 spline aftermarket axles. Understand well the $ implications too. I'd paint a white line on each axle from the carrier side to the wheel bearing side. Pull them on occasion and see if the line is still straight or has some twist to it. Many used to run even OEM axles in drag racing (not the greatest idea but...) with a painted line and if the line exceeded about a 15-20 degree twist, they'd get replaced.

Btw, while the hp/torque #'s are fine with the 28's, don't forget that the size of the slicks (i.e. 9" versus the biggest you can fit) and actual bite (real sticky, like an NHRA event!) at your track(s) counts just as much. Long ago, we learned that when the touring pros hit our fav track twice a year and used lots of VHT traction compound, yikes, did we break parts!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:22 am 

nova467spanker wrote:
Ya im just waiting for this crazy Texas weather to make up its damn mind. Skip bipolar Its like a 6 polar be'atch down here. One day - snow -next day 70 degrees - next 2 days misty with fog - next 3 days 30 degrees with mixed in rain - next 2 days 30 degrees with 150mph winds - next 3 days 60-70 degrees and beautiful......then repeat in the exact opposite order. Shit is getting irritating but whatever.

Mowed Sunday January 26 and sprayed for weeds. Was 74 yesterday, will be 45 with a 25~35 MPH wind from the NW. If we get through February into March without something like a sleet storm or some stretch of cold weather, summer is going to be brutal. I'm not sure there have been enough cold days to allow the peach trees to properly cycle over winter.

Updated the fuel system in the Falcon with a 230 GPH QFT pump. Ran #8 lines up and back - can't turn down the pressure below 7~7.5 on race gas. May have to go to a #10 return line. Will change the line from the fuel log back to the reg to #10 and see if that helps, because it has a couple of 90s in it and has to turn sharp to get to clear the firewall and get to the regulator. I had a choice of course, picked the wrong horse there.

Bought a starter from Jegs to replace the Powermaster on the car and reclaim the SUmmit starter for the dragster. Got it all clocked and installed - nothing. CLICK. Pulled it out and ran it on cables - works, but a little slow. Hung it on the motor on the engine stand - gear kicks out then binds on the flex plate. Back in the box, on the way back to Jegs for credit. That one was $145, the Summit is $206, should just bit the bullet in the first place.

Heads for the 393 are sitting on the bench, need to get after that. Still not 100% after flu week 2020. 5 days on the couch, 3 with fever and migraine level head pain. Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:14 pm 

I havent done anything racecar related since I took the motor apart from the better half's car.
I did start working on my '70 street car a little though. I guess I need to get a pump ordered for my car and actually decide what direction I'm going to go with her car.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:29 pm 

machoneman

I appreciate your input. I run 27x11.5x15 Hoosier Quick Time pros. My car originally came with a 8" rear end. How did I find that out, I ordered a Richmond 4.11 gear for a 9" and it was way to big lol. So in 1999 I put a 9" in it from a 69 Cougar 351w car. Years later I swapped to my current 3rd member that has a mini spool and 4.11 gears. I ended up using the 8" axles since they looked better that the 9" axles. I put new factory wheel studs in and been runnin it like this since 2006. I have gotten lucky so far but I feel I need to upgrade since I put Drag Boss's shocks on and i think I have the pinion angle correct now. Also, my buddy that made me my converter said its gonna be angry out the hole so ya I need to upgrade :twisted: Also, none of the tracks have messed with me about my wheel studs exiting the lug nuts yet but the last time I went to Northstar Dragway I ran back to back 7.2@95mph 1/8 mile. The tech guy found me when loading up and said dont come back without a roll bar and fire jacket :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:38 pm 

Falcon67

Man forget this weather.
-Sat and Sunday 60 degrees but Sunday morning from 1am-8am the fog was so bad you could only see 5 feet in front of you.
-Monday clear and 50 degrees but at 12am had a terrestrial down poor till 10am
-Today so far spotty showers and 50 degrees and have no efin idea what will happen.

Im just glad its not during the race season

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 102  Next