www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:51 pm 

nova467spanker wrote:
.....the last time I went to Northstar Dragway I ran back to back 7.2@95mph 1/8 mile. The tech guy found me when loading up and said dont come back without a roll bar and fire jacket :cry:

NHRA?
Around here IHRA lets you run 7.00 before you have to put a roll bar in now. Still have to wear a jacket quicker than 7.49, but a roll bar isnt required until you break in to the 6's. Luckily they also let you go 6.00 before you have to get the chassis certified and get a license.

Funny story, well, kind of funny, but one I will never forget regardless. The first year I was running my current car, we were racing just 1/8 mile IHRA. It was set up to run quarter, but we just hadnt gotten there yet. One week or normal track had the weekend off, so we decided to go meet some buddies we used to race with at a different track, a 1/4 mile NHRA facility. I rolled up to tech, the previous week's dial still on the window, a mid 6.30 something, and the tech guy (a super stock racer himself who was really good), proceeded to go over the car with a fine tooth comb since it was the first time he had seen it there. He asked "what's it run in the quarter?" Me, "I dont know, it's never been down the quarter yet." He looked at the dial, signed the run card, reached out to hand it to me, I grabbed it, but he didnt let go. He looked me dead in the eye and said "if it goes quicker than 10 flat you come find me before I find you."
Me, "yes sir!" LOL
FYI, it didnt. The track was garbage and it couldn't hook, and even if it would have hooked, it still wouldn't have gone that fast. I think it ran something like low 10.20s that day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:02 am 

Quote:
the last time I went to Northstar Dragway I ran back to back 7.2@95mph 1/8 mile. The tech guy found me when loading up and said dont come back without a roll bar and fire jacket :cry:

Be same here - you run under 7.35, must have a 6 point minimum bar and a SFI 3.2A/1 jacket. 7.36-7.50 requires the jacket. No exceptions. Unless you drop $75K for a new factory hot rod, then you can run 6.39 or slower and under 135 with a helmet and a jacket. PROVIDED - the car is unmodified except for tires. Otherwise, at 6.99 it's 10 point cage. Cross under 6.39 and you enter the world of SFI 3.2A/5 clothing, chassis certs, SFI equipment certs, license passes, etc. Especially at the Bracket Finals, seems like the tech guys are looking for anything to DQ our players. It's not that big a deal at our track, but when we roll into the Motorplex they are looking to send you home.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:36 pm 

Falcon67
Chris, you know what's funny, every time I go to the Motorplex and hand them my tech card they always ask "so what does it run"? I always break the ice with "it doesn't run, it rolls" Then I tell them "I don't know what it will run today but last time I came here it ran 7.6 in the 1/8. They never pop the hood (shit I could have a 500 shot for all they know). They don't even crawl under the car to see if I have an anti pogo stick device. I know my luck is running out at the Motorplex.

Now Denton on other hand is a whole different experience. Those people crawl all over my shit. been flagged for no neutral safety switch and now this fire jacket and roll cage deal. Its fine, I'm not complaining, its for safety and is the rules. Its just funny how an 1/8 mile track puts more effort in this than a NHRA 1/4 mile track. Maybe the Motorplex looks at my car and is like - its junk with a boat anchor engine - he's good???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:02 pm 

Yes, we don't look at much. We don't issue tech stickers anymore, haven't in years. Our folks just keep a careful eye out and we go over things as racers before the finals to make sure people signed up are current on licenses and such. Interesting about Denton being that strict. Not a problem, but it's interesting. Regular bracket tracks do vary.

What I was really talking about with the Motorplex was the bracket finals when they fielded a bracket team. We write our own tech sheets and the owner or track manager signs them off at the Motorplex and no one says anything else. After that, their 'inspectors' would be hot on giving the home team every advantage. Our guys would get DQd for any minor infraction, rather than a warning, while other well known personalities in our division running for TXM could run in their underwear. It was so bad the 2nd year we went under NHRA sanction that our track owner told the division director that if they kept that shit up, we would not be back. The next year the Motorplex went to the big $$$$$ races (Texas Triple Tens and such) and did not field a team. We still have our guard up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:38 pm 

Looks like Northstar is for sale

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/nor ... for-grabs/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:26 pm 

Falcon67

Well I sure hope it doesnt close cause its only 20 mins from me and that will not make me happy. I guess Xtream really putting a hurt on them. To be honest, the last 3 years I have gone to Northstar, it has sucked. No organization and so so track prep unless there was an event. I bet the owner of Northstar eyes got real big with greed when Kennadale closed --then came Xtream. Guess we'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:47 am 

Yea, at 5.9mil asking it's not going to go quickly. I didn't think they even ran brackets, except for the SHRA stuff which IIRC is not running in 2020. Xtreme has a good rep, but it's still a long way across the M-plex from Denton. Especially now days. When we lived there, only thing north of Loop 820 was just a little bit of Fossil Creek and Blue Mound, until you got to Alliance. 114 was all country road LOL. Now - yeesh. 114 to 35E across to 45 in Dallas then south to Ferris - I feel your pain just looking at the sat map. Not much a worse pull from here than Crandall was. That I-20 lower road from Ft. Worth to I-45 is a bitch, and double on a Sunday afternoon pulling home.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:39 pm 

Falcon67
Yes sir, I use to live in Roanoak before the Texas Motor Speedway was built. Then it was built and roads went to shit. The first year TMS opened I was on that little 2 lane so called HWY114. I got caught in the first traffic that opening Saturday. That was ridiculous. Imagine 200 thousand red necks trying to make it down a 1 way there - one way back road. Took me almost 5 hours to get from Grapevine back to Roanoak and had to fill up my gas in my 95 Dakota Sport v6. Damn I wish I could have kept that truck and put a new HEMI in it. I traded it in-in '03 when I bought my new '03 Ram 1500 HEMI. Anyways yup, I remember when North Star first opened and how crappy it was and then was the best track around. I like going there to test my 60' and make sure the car goes strait after changing something before I go to The Motorplex. I really miss Redline Raceway too. I never ran at Kennadale but that track helped keep all the drunk riff raft from Denton. Then Kennadale closed and all those morons went to Denton. That was hell. Beer bottles and blunts and Coke bags in the lanes. Now they all go to Xtream. I would go to Xtream but I cant stand when idiots swallow up the burn out box and staging lanes. That's usually the crowd at Xtream - just like Crackhead Yellow Belly :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:08 am 

LOL Yellowbelly - haven't been there since like 1975. At some of those races, I think Xtreme sells "starting line passes" and they make huge $$$ off those boneheads. Our track manager won't put up with that. But then we don't really hose many races like that. Have a new one this year in September - the Tracy Dennis Throwdown. Will have to see how that goes. Prepped, no times, instant green, big tire, small tire, true street.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:45 pm 

Falcon67
Ya the other day someone was butt hurt when I talked bad about Yellow Belly aka "The Gut" Im a member on "Hood to Hood" on Facebook. The Denton track for sale was the topic. So this guy called Cedar Creek "methcreek" I actually thought that was funny cause anyone who has ever been to Cedar Creek aka "7 points" knows all there is is alot of drunk/drug infested racers going 6's with no helmet and their kid in it with no seat belt. So since we were engaged in name calling, I called Yellow Belly CrackheadBelly. Oh wow did that strike a nerve. I got "apperantly you have never been there or raced there bla bla bla" Told him I have not been their since the 90's and I stopped going cause of all the shootings, stabbings, theft and vandalism. Man that struck another nerve. "its not like that and shut ur mouth about Yellow Belly bla bla bla" I just laughed at him.

As for the people in burn out box. I cant stand it man. A couple years ago opening night at Denton was on 4/20. You already know how crowded it was with that date but it was the first year Kennadale was closed. I got 1 run that night against my stepdads 83 Camaro 396 sbc tunnel ram. Anyways, there were people everywhere and it irritated me.

Alot of people know who Rose Bryant is. He was filming that night and got my 1 run. Lol, he called my car raggly with small tires. the Quick time 26x9x15's . After I ran the 7.4 he came to my spot and said my car surprised him. Thought I had a BBF in it. Na man, just a dinosaur 359 Cleveland.

The video. https://youtu.be/_PfDkGGG3xQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 102  Next