www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 107  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:03 am 

Got both cars back together. Falcon is ready to use after changing out the return line from -8 to -10. With the new QFT 230 GPH pump and a #8 return, line pressure would not go below 7.5 lbs. Now I can go down as low as 5.8 if needed. All that change up was made to allow the car to run methanol if I want.

Dragster is together and now having the usual issues with trying to get all the air out of the cooling system. The overflow tank drain cokc broke last night, so now I have to take a torch to the bottle and try to get the brass POS out of there. Always something.

We're supposed to have an evening TnT this coming weekend. If it does happen, it'll be street cars because it's going to be too cold to bother taking either car out, especially on alcohol. Its supposed to rain next two days - great because I have to drive 150 miles in it - and the high Friday is only 47, then 56 on Saturday. Have to be out of town two days, and the ground will be soaked, so I don't think I could load up even if I wanted. Then there's the RV thing - will be back below freezing next week, so I can't leave the dragster in the trailer, nor can I un-winterize the water system in the trailer. We should have run last Saturday - it was 74 and nice LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:18 pm 

Falcon67
Yesterday I called and talked to the owner of the Denton track. He said weather permitting they will be opening up the track at the end of this month. He said all the regular test n tune Fridays are scheduled as normal. Looks like I need to get my ass in gear and get to Summit. Need Moser axles, I want to do a 1 wire alternator up grade (but that can wait a bit) and a fire jacket. Any recommendations on fire jackets? Price vs comfort?
-Matt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:40 pm 

At least someone has done something race related. I havent touched her car since I pulled the motor out, nor have I touched mine since I pulled the carb off. I put a fuel pump "in the cart" on Summit's site a week ago, but cant bring myself to pull the trigger.
I did get my old 70 running this past weekend, but that's not race related. Although, it honestly felt like more of an accomplishment to hear it run again than anything I've done with that money pit racecar in the last couple of years.

My 2 cents on the fire jacket. I used to wear a single layer jacket for a long time. But as the car got faster, and being on alchy added to me getting older and putting more value on my safety, I upgraded to a pretty nice double layer jacket a couple of years ago. It wasnt cheap, but it's actually more comfortable than any of the single layer jackets were (I owned at least 2 if not 3 different brands thru the years), and in the heat of the summer really isnt any hotter than they were, if at all.
This is what I have now, and there are a lot of guys wearing them around here. Like I said, it's not cheap, but it is without a doubt the nicest jacket/pants I have ever had on.

https://www.sparcousa.com/product/sport ... cket-pants

And this is a good article about how "resistant" each rating is. There is a chart at the bottom of the page showing how long each rating is good for until you get 2nd degree burns.

https://sfifoundation.com/article-1/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:42 am 

kv racing

thank you for your reply. looks like you have 19 seconds to get out of your car. I will have to go on Summits web and check these out. I have a Speed card with them so that always helps with the more costly items. I will just buy my new axles at the same time. Im lucky, i can go try some jackets on at Summit to see what fits best.

-Matt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:54 am 

>Any recommendations on fire jackets? Price vs comfort?

Pro One Safety. https://pro1safety.com/
You only need a single layer - https://pro1safety.com/Pro-1-Single-Lay ... ussets.htm

Local people, good stuff. Jeff Hefler and friends. The generic stuff at Summit is OK, but not "great". My new Pro One SFI 3-2A/5 double layer jacket has pockets and is nearly half the weight of my old RJS jacket. Pants are lighter and fit better too. The /5 jackets do come with D rings on the sleeves for arm restraints which is nice. Not needed in your case.

Alternator - I source all mine from a local wrecking yard. I pick small case Gen3 and use a 3 wire stock style hookup. The only one wire unit is on the dragster.

Our 2020 schedule is Friday/Saturday/Sunday once a month this year, with one Saturday evening TnT about 2 weeks before a scheduled race. I have enough vacation time that I can take those race weekend Monday's off to do the web work and post up the weekend results as well as put away the toys.

We are running this Saturday, moved it back to 12-7PM because it's not going to be very warm. I might go, might not - tried to pressurize the cooling system in the dragster last night to purge air and test for pressure hold, and the Stant tester piston and/or check valve broke so parts are on order for that. Well, it IS about 20 years old. Always something.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:37 am 

I got the cam out of the better half's weezer yesterday. I got out a really big prybar and got ugly with it to get it out. As I suspected, the cam is kinda fouled up. The block looks fine, but it's going to need cam bearings, honed, and a thorough cleaning. I'm not real happy it needs cam bearings already. Honestly, I don't know how they all look. When I saw how bad the front bearing looked, I didnt bother looking at the rest.
So to recap, it needs a new camshaft, needs the heads gone thru and the valves replaced, probably should have the roller lifters replaced, the block needs cleaned/honed/cam bearings, it needs a new distributor, the crank needs polished, and it might need one new piston.
It's not the worst "broken" motor I've ever had, but it sure isnt going to be the cheapest to fix either.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:42 pm 

Send it up!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:01 pm 

Man, if you were closer than 8 hours away from me, I would not hesitate to bring all my crap to you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:09 pm 

Stick it on a pallet and I’ll arrange to have it picked up. You won’t have to do anything.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:30 am 

Made him an offer he can't refuse.

No TnT this last weekend, standing water on the track. Made the street guys all bitchy, whatever. Got the parts for my Stant tester and got most of the air out of the dragster cooling system. Was going toi re-shuffle cars in the shop Sunday and load the dragster, but it rained some more. And it's going to freeze two days this week, so might as well leave it in the barn.

On a really cool note, the new truck is in and should be ready to pick up this morning from the dealer. "Clifford", the Big Red Dog :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 107  Next