www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:48 pm 

If the driver would get his head out of his ass, this thing could wing some races now. I think I've accidentally stumbled on something. Managed to stumble and bumble my way to the fifth round (ten cars left), before I forgot my game plan and fucked up the finish line.
But, back to the car. Starting with the second time run, it went 1.379, 1.379, 1.379, 1.379, 1.377, 1.380 sixty foot. Half track was (starting second time run then elims in order) 4.025, 4.028, 4.025, 4.025, 4.033, 4.028.
Fifth round I managed to get all flustered in the lanes, missed the tree a little, then totally forgot my dial in was safe and drug the brakes before the finish line, killed one mph and let the guy around by .003. Same guy who laid the hero pass on me a couple races ago. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:14 am 

5th round is pretty good all things considered. Did the air bleeds fix your high gear miss? I'm wondering if plug gap might be the cause of that for you too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:39 pm 

It still missed a little. I'm still not a believer it's the gap, although I know people are saying that. I used to run more gap than this without an issue. I used to run .045 and never had a miss like this, and I'm clear down to .030 now.

Here's the timeslips from Sunday. You'll need to cock your head to the side like a dog, I cant figure out hot to rotate it 90 degrees. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:16 am 

That's almost worth framing isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:10 am 

kv racing wrote:
It's our last points race of the year. I'm currently in a three way tie for 8th. At the start of the year I had hoped to finish top 5 at this track as I had never run points here before. But now, after a weekend of breaking the car and one where I couldn't do anything right, I just want to finish top ten. That means I need to go some rounds tomorrow.

I managed to finish in a two way tie for 7th. It's not a great season, but at this point I will take it.

They are trying to get a team together for the bracket finals, and I already told them I'm not going. With them being NHRA it totally changes the complexion of what I have to do to run the car wide open, and it's not worth it to me to do that for one race. It was going 6.20s this past weekend. The bracket finals are the second weekend in October. It's going to go mid 6.20s pretty easily. IHRA says you can run down to 6 flat before you have to get the chassis tagged and add all the extra safety crap. NHRA says 6.39 and quicker and you have to add that stuff. For me to slow the car down to slower than 6.40 would basically involve running high gear only, and I'm not real enthused about doing that for a race of that caliber. Plus NHRA membership with a number is more expensive, the race is at Rockingham and it's always a crap shoot if the track is gonna hook or not, and there are only I think 3 or 4 hotels even remotely close to the track. And given that there are 21 tracks in our division, getting a room even at this point is probably a lost cause. The purse for the gamblers race isnt very good considering how many cars will probably be there, nor is the purse for the main event worth it.
There's just not much about going that enthuses me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:33 am 

Parallel universes -
Went to the 5th round Saturday, 5 cars left. Decided to go all in for the bye to the final, or go out. -.031, ID-10-T error. He was 90, so there. I had been 80s because of the stumble, so everything was iffy at that point anyway,

I made 5 passes Friday trying to sort out the accel pumps. It seemed to work best with only a slight miss at .059/.059. Ran out of time so I just ran with it. The car runs 87 MPH/5.70 on 110, 5.48~5.51 at 90+ on alcohol.

Saturday it pretty much stuck to the plan with 1.65/1.66 60'. Started at 7.48 and went up around 7.51 dial as the DA went up, then back to .48 until the red light. Didn't have to buy back, got a check for $40. This is the big time.

Sunday thought I'd go up to a .062 in the back to try and fix the miss on the hit. the air was nice so put a .47 on for Dial-4-$ and it missed the hit anyway, ran a 49. Hmm. Put the .059 shooter back in. Dial 49 for 1st round, missed at the hit ran 51. Bought back and dialed a 50 because who knows. That time it hit big, knew I was carrying at least 2 maybe 3. Ran down to about 30' from the stripe and stood on the brake. Hero pass of the day - see below. Next round dialed 50, it laid over on the hit and was 5 off everywhere.

So the problem remains on the hit. My carb guy is just "keep adding shot until it leaves." I did that but it went off script anyway, so not sure if I'm missing something else. I know the carb is a bit on the fat side - should not be, flow is flow. But it runs better at lower speed in the pits with more of the lean out open. Tried leaning out the idle screws until it died then adding back 1/8. Then 1/2, then another 1/8. Didn't seem to care one way or the other. Runs great down track, intervals are very close so if I can fix the pump shot at the hit it'll be killer. I just think I'm missing something. Anybody car to share their shooter size on alcohol?

The frameable time slip - easy 5.48, killed 2 MPH almost exactly (had been running 90.02). The 4.77 in the middle repeats like crazy if the car will leave. I've got 6 or 7 tickets that carry that number LOL. Sambo parks across from us and as soon as we got out of the cars I hollered "Sambo! We put on a SHOW!" Good times.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:08 am 

I know several carb places say to back the idle mixture screws out another half to a full turn if it's bogging on the hit. When I borrowed the brother in law's Quickfuel alchy 850, I had to back them out half a turn to get rid of a mild stumble. He had to back them out a full turn on his ProSystem alchy dominator to get rid of a stumble at the hit.
I had never heard that until then. I always thought it was all pump shot that controlled it.

The ones in my carb are .065. They're big bastards. It will flood it in a hurry if you pump it much when trying to start it cold.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:45 am 

what size carb? My guy is same, need more shot quicker, he's thinking about shaping a cam for the front. I'm also thinking about cranking the idle to 2000 and setting the front lever at that location. Going to .062 shooters - that's 1/16" LOL, dang.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:10 pm 

It's 1040 cfm.

I never could get a big bog out of my BG carb. It had .050s in it, and was supposedly around 920 cfm. I did switch to some .062 shooters, but havent tried it since I installed them.
From idle, it would flat fall on it's face if you went wide open with it. If it was over about 2500 it was fine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:32 pm 

I usually try to stage at 2000, this last weekend I upped it to 2400 or so to try and cover the bog. Not the best as it's harder to stage at that RPM. Can't use a two step in footbrake, so have to roll up the RPM once the pre-stage is lit, then try to inch in without going too deep.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next