www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 107  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:13 am 

I was trying to stage at 3000 in that footbrake race I ran a few weeks ago. That makes bumping in a trick, even with aftermarket brakes and a really loose converter.
I'm outta ideas on what you can do to fix yours. Not like I had any in the first place. LOL
I couldn't get rid of a bog from a carb I still have (that other than the bog works great) so I gave up and just bought a new one.

Looks like we are going racing this saturday, then I'm not real sure when the next chance will be. We are going to go over to Farmington. The better half wants to go and watch, and her brother is going to be racing. If he wasnt going to be there I wouldnt waste my time driving over there. As I might have mentioned before; it's an hour and a half to get there and I have shit for luck there, worse than my normal shit for luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:41 am 

Maybe this time you'll leave your bag of shitty luck at home LOL.

We're not running until 10/31-11/1. There is the diesel truck race on 10/17, so I have a TnT coming up. My carb guy says "Try 67s, that should tell you something." Told him I run 35/37 on a 650DP, he said "That's big, so on alcohol - big/big". Stands to reason with a tall single plane and 220 cc ports on a 351. So 67 = #51 drill, going to get out the mill for that one LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:06 am 

I decided I was going to tighten the plug gap up to .025, just to see if it would help. I got 6 of the 8 done and was down to the ones that required some work to change, and it started raining. So I had to put the hood back on the car and go in the house. The two center plugs on the passenger side require the carb feed lines to come off, as well as the valve cover. It's supposed to rain all day today, but hopefully it will stop by time I get home from work so I can get those two done as well. Tomorrow is an early start, and they haven changed the run order, so I dont think I will have time to do them when we get there if I cant get them done tonight. I need to check the timing as well. The timing mark on the plugs has moved a little and the car has actually started to protest a little when I start it every now and then like it has too much timing in it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:57 am 

Oof, what a mess yesterday was. Oh hell, the whole week for that matter. Was cleaning the truck up a little on Tuesday and discovered that one of the back doors had developed a new issue on the side wall. It had an indention that ran the entire sidewall right in the middle, kind of like if you took your finger and drew a circle in the frosting on top of a cake. And worse, it had cracks along the entire thing. The fronts were already at the point they needed replace as the tread was all chopped up on them and they drove bad and were really noisy. Off to the tire shop it went. Since they were 8 years old, and most tire shops will tell you know that due to the synthetic rubber, tires just dont last much longer than that before they start to dry rot. $1200 later I have six shiny new tires on my truck. Then Friday it rained like hell, all day. They got over 2" at the track.
Needless to day, the track was junk the first part of the day. And since there were a bunch of cars there, they only gave us one time run......per entry. Yeah, I got my dumbass talked in to double entering after we got there. I went up for my first hit on my first entry, and it spun. And I dont mean just a little either. It spun at the hit, tried to hook, took a hop, then chattered real hard. Last weekend my last pass would have been a 6.29 wide open. It went a whopping 6.42 on that one. I watched my brother in law go down the other lane without any serious issues, so I went back up for my second hit and switched lanes. I let some air out of the tires and softened the rear shocks as well. We're just gonna say, his car works better than mine. At the hit my spun so hard it turned and I had a pretty good look at the tree out the windshield. ABORT!
New game plan as we cant race like that. Change the starting line chip from 4500 to 4000, change the shift chip from 7400 to 4600, and take a wild ass guess on a dial in for the first entry. I had a 6.92 on it, and at the last minute changed it to a 6.90. Lowering the starting line rpm like that is tuff on the ole reaction time and lets just say I was a tad late that first pass. But the guy I was racing broke out taking too much stripe and my lucky guess was dead on a with 1. Second entry I pulled some time out of the box, left the dial alone, but the sun came out and it warmed up pretty quick. I was still late and the car slowed down. I was talked in to buying back. Just to keep this from getting any longer than it already is, I ended up losing 4th round on both entries due to bad lights both passes. But since it was a "filler" race, there wasnt any round money, so that part sucked. All that work for nothing.
FYI, the car was running right at 6.90 @ 106 mph, with a 1.62-1.63 sixty foot doing that.
I did check the timing and found it was around 37-38 degrees instead of the 35 I had originally set it at, so I stuck it back on 35. It started normally and didnt get fussy a single time yesterday. I think the high gear miss went away, but honestly, with as "non normal" as everything was yesterday, it was hard for me to really pay attention to that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:33 am 

No racing this weekend. That will give me a chance to get those two other plugs re-gapped. Yeah, last weekend I ran it with two plugs gapped differently than the rest. LOL
I need to change the oil as well. It's also leaking some transmission fluid now, and I think it's leaking around the pan, best I can tell. I need to get it jacked up and tighten them up.
I'm also thinking I might want to fatten it just a touch since it's getting cooler now.
Next weekend there is a 5 grand to win race I'm going to enter. Then nothing until Halloween when there is an all doorcar race over at Farmington. Then nothing again until Nov 20-22 when they run the Doorcar Nationals at Piedmont. That's a good race and the one I am most looking forward too. Then the next weekend I'll either go back to Farmington for their big Thanksgiving weekend race, pull the box out and go to Piedmont for their big footbrake race, or just say to hell with it and be done for the year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:36 am 

I got the gap tightened up on those last two plugs. While I had that valve cover off, I decided I should pull the other one as well and check all the lash since it hadnt been done since the head gasket was replaced. I found a couple that were loose enough I had to adjust them. I changed the oil, and it was pretty black and didnt smell so great, so it was needing done. I also stuck my mufflers on, just to change things up a bit for the rest of the year. I figure I have 5 nights left, maybe up to 8 depending on what I decide to do Thanksgiving weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:07 am 

Same, TNT next week, then a two day end of October and usually the two day Thanksgiving race, weather depending. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a barrel of methanol now, or try to squeak by and buy surplus at the track. I have maybe 8 gallons left, if I use 5/day or so, figure 20 to finish the year. That's $100 in fuel vs probably $200 for the drum. If it looks like prices going up, i should buy the drum I think.

I drilled the shooters out to .067 - my guy says "just keep going, eventually you'll learn something LOL". Might as well. Tried backwards and that didn't work, so will just keep pouring the juice to it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:20 am 

I've been buying fuel at the track all year. I need to buy a couple of drums before next season starts. It will definitely save me some money in the long run.
It will be interesting to see if the mufflers slow this motor down any. They never made a bit of difference in how my stock rod motors performed, but with this being 20 inches larger and having more compression, they might matter now.
The forecast for saturday started the week off not looking so good. But as the week has gone on, it has slowly gotten a little better each day. We have the five grand to win race this saturday at Roxboro (they wont get the minimum cars and will cut the purse, I just know it), then Halloween there is an all door car race at Farmington. The next day Piedmont has their last Big Dog race of the year (basically pro mods) and they run a class called Outlaw Doorslammer during it. 7.99 and quicker, all doors. I might run that race as well. November 20-22 Piedmont has the Doorcar Nationals, and it's a good race and I try to run it ever year. Thanksgiving weekend Farmington runs a Top ET race thursday thru saturday, but Piedmont also has a Footbrake race held by the same guys that do the Doorcar race. I'm not sure which one I want to run, if either of them. I kinda want to try footbraking the car again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:19 am 

It's $3.70/Gallon from Sterling (track owner) by the drum, $5/gal at the track by the jug full. $200/drum. And I can get it cheaper, but I have to drive a ways. Too far to save $20.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:13 am 

I havent bought any drums lately, so I'm not positive the price on it.
But by the gallon in a jug, Farmington is $4, Piedmont is $5, and Roxboro is $6. Roxboro sells VP, Farmington sells Sunoco, and I cant remember what Piedmont sells.
A coworker has been getting his by the drum from a fellow racer who has a shop, and he's paying right at $3 a gallon for it, but I dont know what brand it is. Hank Thomas (the shop that sells all the NASCAR teams fuel and who Farmington gets theirs from) sells Sunoco, and he sells it by the drum for around $3.50 a gallon I think, less if you buy a lot of drums at once.
Since I've been racing at Piedmont all year, their fuel guy tends to fill my jugs clear to the top and charges me for 5 gallons. I have a couple of jugs that I am sure hold over 5 1/2 gallons when clear full.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 107  Next