www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2" Carb Spacer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:32 pm 

I'm thinking of putting a 2" spacer on my 359c. I have seen Brent's dyno videos and some others and it seems like with 500hp and higher combos the 2" HVH super sucker and Wilson spacers seem to do well. The increase in power with the current 363 Brent just put together, the 2" HVH seemed to wake it up. So Summit just sent me a mini catalog and on the front they have a picture of their tapered 4 hole spacer. Get to looking at it and to me it looks like the HVH. I know people find something that works for them or maybe a buddy but I was wondering what spacers you guys have actually seen either actual dyno results or track results. Maybe a brief description of your engine combo so i can compare to my engine.

Here are the Summit and HVH. TO me they look the same. I wonder who is making the Summit one? Thanks you all.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-210301

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hvh-ss4150-2al

Post subject: Re: 2" Carb Spacer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:18 am 

I've never tried any of the HVH/Super Sucker style spacers, but they do intrigue me. I've had one in the cart on Summit a time or two but never pulled the trigger. Man, they're proud of those things. I would like to try one, but the price tag seems steep to me.
Especially since I'm not sure how much it would help my combo with as loose as my converter is. I have been running an open 2" spacer forever and that just seems to be what that old intake likes. Even my Torker worked best with an open 2". Once again, I was still running a loose converter back then as my C4 converter would go over 5500.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:55 am 

1 inch hvh was worth 15hp on a 700hp 377 sbc circle track motor. It used 15 degree heads, edelbrock victor intake, and burned methanol. That engine wasn't a big dog compared to a lot of engines we ran, but that test was an eye opener. On the dyno we used their phenolic spacer that the builder had on hand, but hvh told us to switch to an alloy unit to run on circle track and that's what we did. This test was compared to a 4 hole 1 inch open spacer.

Your results may vary. It's likely dependent on intake, carb, and fuel used. Only the dyno and track will tell you what works best.

FWIW A year or two later we switched to a 2 inch alloy spacer that angled the carb towards the left front, and had vanes that went from the carb all the way down an inch or two past the spacer into the manifold. I can't find a pic of that spacer, to show you, so it might no longer be available. At the time, the rest of the teams were switching to that, so we followed suit. No idea if it made a difference or not.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:23 pm 

I run a 2" on the 351C in the Falcon. That puts the scoop above the hood line. No other reason LOL. Didn't hurt anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:42 am 

I just watched an episode of Engine Masters I had recorded, and they tested an HVH Super Sucker. It picked up torque and HP from about 400 on up. But their comparison was against no spacer at all. So I'm not sure how that would have looked had they tested it versus an open or four hole spacer of the same size on the engine as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:57 am 

I have seen the Super Suckers pick an engine up 35 horsepower before.

It all depends on how much plenum volume is available vs. what the engine needs.

Matt/Rob, if you guys wanna try one, I'll sell you one at my cost.

At the very least, they even out the A/F ratios from side to side. At the very most, they will make some very noticeable horsepower. An HVH 4150/4500 adapter with a Dominator carb on a 4150 intake is a very potent combination.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:55 am 

kv racing wrote:
I just watched an episode of Engine Masters I had recorded, and they tested an HVH Super Sucker. It picked up torque and HP from about 400 on up. But their comparison was against no spacer at all. So I'm not sure how that would have looked had they tested it versus an open or four hole spacer of the same size on the engine as well.

That should have said 4000. I forgot a zero.

Brent, I will probably take you up on that. I've been running a 2" open spacer forever, and have started wondering if that is even enough. So many of the new intakes are much taller and have what looks like a bigger plenum than the strip dominator. Even if their plenums arent any bigger, the intakes are taller with longer runners. That makes me wonder if a one inch four hole on a 2" spacer would work better. Or if I should just bolt a 2" Super Sucker on it and be happy with it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:31 am 

Our engine builder at the time said the HP increase was due to eliminating the turbulence caused by the dead space beneath the carburetor.

Being circle track, the lap times are never consistent enough to show a difference. So I can't back the change up with any data, aside from what was seen on the dyno.

When we switched to the 2 inch spacer with the deep vanes, the thought was to even out fuel distribution between cylinders, because the g forces in the turns was rumored to push the fuel to favor the right and rear cylinders. The spark plugs never showed that unequal-ness, so it might have all been a solution without a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:50 am 

Jomar makes some fantastic spacers too. Their are different models with different transition angles technically valve jobs if you will

I’ve done a lot of testing with spacers in the past and they do work, just need to experiment and see what the particular engine wants.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:37 am 

Thank you guys for all your input etc.... Only reason I have not put any spacer on it yet is because of the Cougar hood scoop is lower than one of those BOSS 429 scoops. The air filter set up in pics i took before paint and after paint shows how close it already is and that's with a drop base plate. I would put a BOSS scoop on it but to me that look is more for the Mustang. I want to buy a fiberglass hood from U.S.Body Source - I wish I was skilled enough to graft my own cowl hood because I would love to make one like in the other pics. I took pics off the video game Grand Theft Auto. I think this looks great especially because it follows the hood lines.

Imagehoodclearance2 by 359daddy, on Flickr

Imagehoodclearance1 by 359daddy, on Flickr

ImageCougar Cowl by 359daddy, on Flickr

Imagehood3 by 359daddy, on Flickr

Imagehood2 by 359daddy, on Flickr

Imagehood5 by 359daddy, on Flickr