www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:24 pm 

Anyone here following this build just for the "lets see" factor? Videos 1-5 still waiting for the dyno runs

pt1 https://youtu.be/ZEMGD5oSoPM

pt2 https://youtu.be/jbeNwvA6QMA

pt3 https://youtu.be/r2zfXvZdAC8

pt4 https://youtu.be/CmxN4lkvX5I

pt5 https://youtu.be/XKQ2zHmdhbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:51 pm 

Why would anyone want to do that?

But also goes to show you that GM copied a few Ford things on the LS design.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:34 pm 

Not sure why either...but he's talented and it's interesting to watch. Will be cool to see the dyno runs....

JIM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:13 pm 

He's just an attention whore. With so many good after market Ford cylinder heads that will out perform stock LS heads it's just plain stupid. The cost of the custom camshaft alone would pay for a set of heads.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:32 pm 

I say why not play and experiment? Shoot I wish I had the tooling to do fun stuff like this. I remember back in 2012 i had my Cleveland on the engine stand and I made a bet with my stepdad that his 5.7L LS heads from his 2004 GTO would fit on my Cleveland. We bet a 12 pack of Shiner. Of coarse our Ford vs Chevy argument was a daily thing then. He says Ford copied Chevy with the canted valve and I say Chevy copied Ford to make the LS. Anyways, I flipped my engine on its side and plopped that 5.7 LS head right on my engine. Dowel pins lined right up too. Needless to say, we shared a 12 pack that evening thinking "what if someone will actually put the LS heads on a SBF" Well Im glad to see someone is doing it. Like this guy said, people on both sides will hate him for this. I think its cool. One thing It will do is have to make LS guys have to admit the LS is a copy of the SBF..

Maybe he will create a new market. Maybe this will fall on its face? Hell he went through the expense of that cam so at least hes giving it a great chance to go either way . Im curious to why he had to get such a different cam tough?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:27 am 

Because the ports are in different locations.

An LS head looking from the exhaust side is I-E-I-E-I-E-I-E where as a windsor head is E-I-E-I-E-I-E-I.

That difference alone would require a custom billet camshaft. Unless you want to cobble together the whole thing and try to adapt an ls cam into the windsor. I don't have an example of both here right now to even say if it's doable.

When the ls7 came out in the corvette, I was looking at finding one of those wrecked for cheap and stealing the engine and dry sump.

I'd then swap on a set of alloy cleveland heads, some compatible pistons, custom intake, and a camshaft to make it all go. 427 cubic inch, titanium rod cleveland on the "cheap". The bore spacing of the LS is larger then that of the ford engines, the head bolt locations are also slightly different, so you'd have to use some magic to get it all to work. I was thinking offset dowels and a die grinder on the bolt holes might get you close.

The problem is, those wrecked ls7 engines aren't cheap. So by the time you do all the custom work to adapt the cleveland heads, you could have used a dart block, ls7 ti rods, and off the shelf parts and had the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:46 am 

booyah45828 wrote:
Because the ports are in different locations.

An LS head looking from the exhaust side is I-E-I-E-I-E-I-E where as a windsor head is E-I-E-I-E-I-E-I.

That difference alone would require a custom billet camshaft. Unless you want to cobble together the whole thing and try to adapt an ls cam into the windsor. I don't have an example of both here right now to even say if it's doable.

When the ls7 came out in the corvette, I was looking at finding one of those wrecked for cheap and stealing the engine and dry sump.

I'd then swap on a set of alloy cleveland heads, some compatible pistons, custom intake, and a camshaft to make it all go. 427 cubic inch, titanium rod cleveland on the "cheap". The bore spacing of the LS is larger then that of the ford engines, the head bolt locations are also slightly different, so you'd have to use some magic to get it all to work. I was thinking offset dowels and a die grinder on the bolt holes might get you close.

The problem is, those wrecked ls7 engines aren't cheap. So by the time you do all the custom work to adapt the cleveland heads, you could have used a dart block, ls7 ti rods, and off the shelf parts and had the same thing.

If you did that you would still need a custom cam wouldn't you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:42 am 

The ls7 cleveland? Yeah, to use ford heads on any LS block you'd have to do that. And vise-versa with LS heads on a windsor block.

The LS block/rotating assembly is far stouter then the windsor. Heads between the two are similar IMO and is a moot point(Alloy vs Alloy). So I don't see the reason for LS heads on a windsor and vice versa.

Now that I think about it, I think the cylinders are different bank to bank offset as well. I believe on ford engines the passenger side is front/drivers to the rear, whereas a chevy the driver's bank is to the front/passenger rear.

Maybe he addressed that in his video too, I haven't watched it yet, it's in the saved for later list.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:52 am 

Ford
Front
5 1
6 2
7 3
8 4

Chevy
Front
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:13 am 

Update. So the 351LS runs. Here is the dyno video. Like he said he didn't build it to set records. Built it to see if it could be done. Not bad power with only 8:1 compression. Defiantly not the most practical way to put heads on a sbf but still cool he did it in my opinion. Next video he will put twin turbos :D

https://youtu.be/JVi73IZkT0w