www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:43 pm 

Its that time of year and I need to take my car in for emissions test. The last few years I have been able to get it to pass by adjusting the carb at idle while the probe is in the tailpipe. this is a new problem It won't keep running. My AFR gauge goes up to 22 to1 at idle and kills the engine. The idle screws make no difference. I sprayed carb cleaner through the air bleeds on top 8 of them, didn't help. This carb has been on there about 5 yrs I think. It used to run too rich at idle until I got a good regulator and was able to drop pressure down to 4-5 psi. Anyone want to suggest something before I pull it apart and rebuild it. I even tried turning idle speed way up, doesn't help. Ill start another thread concerning Fuel Injection. Thanks guys

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 4:06 pm 

Only thing I can think of is you have a vacuum leak. If you are running a vacuum line from the intake to the transmission modulator - I have had it leak there. Check your carb to intake gasket - some companies are chinsing out on gasket material now. If you have any vacuum ports blocked off with rubber plugs - they will crack and sometimes you will never see it till you take them off and they fall apart on ya. Other than a vacuum leak - going through the carb might be on the to do list. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Oh and it could be your AFR O2 sensor crapped out and is lying to you

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:29 pm 

If I had to bet it would be a vacuum leak, thanks for reminding me. About a month ago the car would run rough but it idled so I was adjusting idle screws and kept checking my AFR gauge and while doing this my gauge pegged out on the lean side and I was trying to keep it running with the throttle and the gauge threw some kind of code on the screen that I didn't recognize. After that the gauge wouldn't work. I thought the lean idle might have ruined the O2 sensor so I bought another and it works, no code, but it still goes to the most lean measurement it can physical show. Ill go look for a vacuum leak.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:24 pm 

OK I turned up idle speed to about 1600 so it would keep running and then used some spray carb cleaner to look for a leak and when I sprayed near the #1 cylinder head/intake the engine sped up and there was my intake gasket sticking out about one and a half inches and there is a vacuum leak there. How would my intake gasket get pushed out like that? How do I attach a photo to my post?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:55 am 

Good call, Matt!

Barnfind, most likely there is an angle mismatch somewhere between the head and intake manifold.

Also, when you put intake gaskets on an engine where it will need to spend a lot of time between upgrades or freshen-ups, glue the gasket to the head, then use a very small film of silicone or sealant between the gasket and the intake as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:56 am 

Brent,
thanks man. Every once in a while suggestions help - just hard over the interweb and not being there. Any time I see a lean condition I always check for vacuum leaks first. Heck now days I just periodically check all my vacuum lines and port plugs just because.

barnfind
I hope you get it fixed cause nothing more annoying than our hot rods not running right

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:30 am 

Thanks Brent and Matt. I couldn't figure out how to put the photo on our forum so I emailed to Brent. He said he has never seen anything like it. The intake gasket is sticking out the front where intake and head meet on cyl 1 so far that you can put a large screwdriver in the intake port opening of the gasket.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:45 pm 

Damn, that sucks.
With my 362c , it still has the Felpro turkey pan. Has Aussie 2v heads and Weiand Xcellerator 2v intake. Back then the turkey pan was still available off shelf in parts stores - so I sent it. Well Felpro gave rubber china rail gaskets. For some reason I always had a problem with them leaking. This was back in 2004 or so - so I have learned to just use silicone. Not sure which gasket set you have but that's my story.

Oh by the way I use "flickr" as a free picture upload source for the forum. Works well.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:50 pm 

As soon as I figure how to move photos from my Samsung android to my Apple laptop and then to flickr Ill add photos. Brent, the part of the gasket that was sticking out looks like the gasket was for an engine with water jackets. The gaskets have several small breaks between ports and are distorted. Some of the ports are slightly blocked by the gaskets.
The heads have an extra threaded intake mounting hole on both ends and both sides. The intake doesn't have a matching mounting bolt hole. The gaskets look like they were made for an engine with coolant jackets in intake and head. I can't remember why I used these gaskets unless I had no choice. Gaskets look like a quality product. Brent, what gaskets do you use on your builds?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:48 pm 

Not sure about on Android, but Flickr has an app for iPhones. You can download directly from your phone to the app.