www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:09 am 

That's flat-out robbery.

Most of that stuff is done on the same machine, at the same time. New valves are $160 a set for street stainless valves.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:19 am 

Supply and demand - low demand and only a couple of shops here with that capability. All the good old shops were run by guys that got old and retired, closed up and sold off the pieces. I just went to the funeral for one of the top machinist in this area. Also, if you are in the city any shop of that type has very high fees for disposal of wastes. Abilene is a town of maybe 120K that acts like a town of 500K+ sometimes. Re-writes the NEC codes, plumbing codes, etc. If you got out in the county with some decent equipment, sure you could likely do it cheaper because of less overhead, less regulation. And no employees.

Note also as a machine guy - if you have a $25,000 head machine you're paying on and only maybe 200~400 people in a 120 mile radius may need that service, you have a hard time making that machine pay it's way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:46 pm 

scgamecock
In case you want to hear what mine sounds like. Like i said, Brent spect the cam. It is a mechanical flat. When i asked Brent to spec it, i said i would like the power to be in by 6500 because i have the stock crank that is still 28oz balanced. Dyno guy stopped at 6300 cause the exhaust tube blew off so i have no idea what it does after that. I shift at 6600.

https://youtu.be/uYGMgJ_kIB4

P.S. gotta love the Trick Flow stuff ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:13 am 

>Other than weight savings is there a big benefit for going with edelbrock aluminum heads over refurbishing the stock ones?

Better performance, better parts, bolt on and go with no extra work. Refurb requires what we've discussed in possible expense plus sourcing all the parts, etc. I would lean away from the Eds - Trick Flow, CHI, AFD would be my list. Make sure you can get a intake that meets your needs as far as packaging in the car. I'll take a roto-zip to a hood in a blink, most people don't do that LOL.

Agree X19 - pick your system, be real about that intended use and contact Brent for a cam recommendation. I'm not spinning my 392 anywhere near where Brent wants me to and I'm still making near 580 at the flywheel.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:30 am 

Thanks all. I will start looking at the other heads mentioned and contact Brent for a cam recommendation. I am still a few months away from pulling the engine out of my 72 Mach. I am trying to keep it mobile as long as possible while I get the interior and body work done on it.

Wade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:38 pm 

For what it's worth, earlier this year I put together the cost of refurbishing a set of 4V quench heads (non-boss) to compare against aftermarket TrickFlow. These would need all the machine work done to convert them to stud-mounted rockers instead of bolt down. All-in-all the machine work to do the studs wasn't bad, but when it was all said-and-done, a complete refurb to include all parts and machining ran nearly the same cost as buying new TrickFlow heads (complete). So for me it was a wash, which is why I'm now looking at aftermarket aluminum heads.

Asa Jay

https://www.facebook.com/asajaysracingforautism

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:30 am 

Y’all need to find new shops lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:21 am 

Brent, you will be surprised how many shops refuse to work on Cleveland stuff, so when you find one that actually will touch them, they up the price alot. I have called "machine shops" when I wanted to get the rocker bosses milled on my 2v Aussie heads. When I mentioned its a Cleveland they all acted like its a fricken space ship motor. I have gotten " oh no we don’t do Cleveland stuff" and "oh people still run Clevelands"? I called one North of me named Wayne Calvert, im sure Falcon has heard of him and he said "we don’t have our equipment set up to cut the bosses on a Cleveland" I said "well can you cut some for my 460"? He said "yes no problem". Then I said "good then you can cut them for my Cleveland cause they have the same angles". - Not sure if this is true but that’s what I told him :D Just to get me off the phone he told me $700 to cut and tap both heads. I laughed at him over the phone and he hung up :lol:

So Brent what we encounter around the globe is these resources are not always readily available to everyone and most of the time we have to pay an ass load of money for shipping the iron heads to a Cleveland guy like you or now have the option to have some nice shiny aluminium ones shipped free to us fully assembled for around the same cost of refurbished ones. Not arguing, just things most go through cause we don’t have the resources others have being friends in the business or the machines to do it ourselves.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:30 am 

If they can cut the guides on a BBC or a BBF, they are certainly capable of cutting a Cleveland.

I understand that there are some guys who are in remote locations, or not near shops who want to cooperate.

But also, most heads don't need *everything*. If you're asking for new seats, new guides, etc, etc., then you're probably asking for more than what you need.

Most Cleveland heads will at least need the decks surfaced, valve job, new valves, and the rocker arm stud work. Ferrea valves are actually quite reasonable on price. Valve springs and hardware will depend on what the camshaft is, but also keep in mind that new-fangled assembled aluminum heads are not going to be set up perfectly for each camshaft anyway. And, to be honest, the valve jobs just plain stink on some of these out-of-the-box aluminum heads. Intake valves are not back-cut, the leak, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:47 am 

ya your right about the springs and installed height and stuff when getting the new heads. Hind sight 20/20 i wish i could have gotten my TF heads without the springs, they would have been a little less. I planed on a different cam that the TF springs would have been great for but then you sold me on the custom cam so new springs were a necessary. Its ok, I still have the TF springs oiled up and I can use them for my Aussie heads if needed.

Just curious, have you messed with the Trick Flow 225 cnc heads like mine? If you have, how did the seats and valve job look? Remember, I got mine back in end of 2012 but I never took them apart, only looked in the ports. Its been a while but from what I remember, mine were cnc machined from the seat all the way to the ports on intake and exhaust. No rough castings anywhere.