www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mufflers for the street.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:17 pm 

What are you guys running for mufflers on the street? I have 2 1/2" exhaust with Walker Dynomax mufflers now. They are fine but getting old and was looking for replacement. Don't want real loud and definitely no drone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:08 am 

I use Dynomax for all of my personal stuff. I can't stand the sound of a Flowmaster.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:05 am 

Delta Flow Flowmasters are a bit quieter than the traditional Flowmasters and flow the same. I had them on my Cougar first behind the 350hp Cleveland and then behind the current 520hp Cleveland. It had 1 5/8 headers to 3 inch H-pipe to 3 inch mufflers dumped. These are pretty tame until you put your foot down. In my honest opinion, DynoMax turbo and super turbo mufflers are junk.

Dont know how radical your engine is or how you have your current exhaust ran but pretty much any muffler will have the drone to it if its dumped under the car. Also the more radical the engine ie high lift/duration cam and higher compression, your just gonna be loud.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:09 am 

Haha, that's how I feel about Dronemasters. I've never heard a car that sounded good with them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:14 am 

Here ya go. With the 3" Delta Flows, 1 5/8 headers, H-pipe with current engine. Forgive me, I didnt realize I went past the staging beams with my burnout lol...

https://youtu.be/PAMExeTWtEw

Now with 1 3/4 headers with 24 inch of 3 inch open pipe

https://youtu.be/o5tG0J_etNk

Same track

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:14 am 

One way to get rid of the drone is to not mount the mufflers in the same place. I had Flowmasters on my car for awhile and they didn't drone and I thought they sounded pretty good. I had one muffler mounted about a foot farther back than the other one.
I've never been a fan of Dynomax, but it's all just personal preference. I've run Borlas on my racecar and I really like them, but they're proud of their stuff. My plans for my street car is a Borla touring catback system for it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:03 am 

I use 15" x 3" bore Dynomax Bullets. Not for everyone LOL. I've run short pipes and some sort of glass pack (loved those Thrush collector muffs) since 1975.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:18 am 

kv racing

I have thought of putting some DynoMax Bullets or Summit Bullet style mufflers on mine. I heard it helps cancel some of the raspiness of open pipes. In my second video, you can hear its plenty loud though.
I agree, Borla does love their stuff. I never really liked the sound of Borla street mufflers. I really like the sound of SpinTech mufflers though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:38 am 

I have an old set of Borla XR1 race mufflers I use on my racecar from time to time. I really like the way they sound, and they dont affect how the car runs at all either.

I've listened to a couple clips of the Borla Touring series mufflers on a street car like mine, and I like the way they sound. Their louder than stock, but not so loud it would get annoying listening to them during a long road trip.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:56 am 

Use something that when you hold it up you can see straight through. Anyone who's ever dyno tested them would never use a Flow Master muffler. I like the Magnaflow but there are many others made this way including $20 glass pack mufflers from the exhaust shop which in my testing out perform a Flow master in every way. They were quieter and made more power. The real trick to using an absorptive muffler is to place it as close to the end of the pipe as possible.