www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 2v cleveland intake
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:14 pm 

booyah45828

Am I seeing conflicting results or am i just not reading correctly? You said its a 393 with Aussie 2v heads but Daniel said this

Quote:
The engine consists of the dyno mule short block (stock stroke with 0.030" over TRW L2379F forged flat top pistons, Reed hydraulic roller cam, Crane link bar hydraulic roller lifters), a pair of Trick Flow Specialties 195cc 351C-2V aluminum cylinder heads and a Weiand X-Celerator 351C-2V low rise single plane (p/n 7516).

Just making sure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:27 am 

nova467spanker wrote:
booyah45828

Am I seeing conflicting results or am i just not reading correctly? You said its a 393 with Aussie 2v heads but Daniel said this

Quote:
The engine consists of the dyno mule short block (stock stroke with 0.030" over TRW L2379F forged flat top pistons, Reed hydraulic roller cam, Crane link bar hydraulic roller lifters), a pair of Trick Flow Specialties 195cc 351C-2V aluminum cylinder heads and a Weiand X-Celerator 351C-2V low rise single plane (p/n 7516).

Just making sure.

Read the whole thread, in the 2nd to last post. this was said.

Daniel Jones wrote:
We tested several intakes on a 393C with Aussie 2V heads and the results were:

1. Terry Parker Funnelweb 2V single plane (Australia version, not the Chinese knock-off)
2. Holley Street Dominator 2V single plane
3. Weiand Xcelerator 2V single plane
4. Performer RPM Air Gap 2V dual plane
5. Performer 2V dual plane

In that test, the single planes were better across the RPM of our dyno pulls (starting at 3000 RPM or so) but those heads only flowed 220 CFM. My guess is the RPM Air Gap will do much better with the TFS heads. The Funnelweb or TFS single plane will likely make better peak power but the RPM will trade some peak power for better peak torque. I'd hope to test them again on Gerry's engine but we didn't have time.

Dan Jones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:44 pm 

mach_1_guy2009 wrote:
I’m in nw Indiana. Thanks for the offer to try them out. From what I’ve been researching most any of them will work. There was an rpm air gap on a Cleveland Facebook page for sale at a really good price about 3 hours away but I don’t see it any more. I’ll keep my eyes open for an xcelerator or air gap.

There's a fella on a cleveland facebook group selling an airgap intake. It's part of a package, but he said he might be talked in to parting it out. He has a machined block, edelbrock heads, a cam, etc. I cant remember which group it was right off the top of my head, but I do recall he was in Georgia if that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:16 pm 

Quote:

booyah45828

Ah yes I see it now. Guess I skipped right over that looking for the intake results. Thanks man.

I wonder if Weiand has done any tweeks to improve the Xcelerator line of intakes. Looks like they changed the lettering on the intake runner compared to the one I bought in 2005. I remember on the old forum there was a discussion about how great the Xcelerator 2v is but the Xcelerator 4v sucks. Back then I always wished Weiand made a TEAM-G intake for the Cleveland. Guess we dont need that now with Trick Flow and CHI having great race intakes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:39 am 

I know the 4V Weiand Xcelerator intake flat out stinks. It's just too short. Adding a 2" carb spacer picked up 35 hp on a 408 that I did.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:39 am 

nova467spanker wrote:
Quote:

booyah45828

Ah yes I see it now. Guess I skipped right over that looking for the intake results. Thanks man.

I wonder if Weiand has done any tweeks to improve the Xcelerator line of intakes. Looks like they changed the lettering on the intake runner compared to the one I bought in 2005. I remember on the old forum there was a discussion about how great the Xcelerator 2v is but the Xcelerator 4v sucks. Back then I always wished Weiand made a TEAM-G intake for the Cleveland. Guess we dont need that now with Trick Flow and CHI having great race intakes.

I don't know if the tweeks were any improvements, but they did have a few differences.

The old xcellerator from the 80's wasn't as tall and had smaller ports. You can identify it by having "no7516 Weiand" on the back side of the casting and no cast in boss on runner#5. One was for sale on ebay 2 years ago and I compared the pictures of it to mine. I kick myself because it sold for 75 bucks and I didn't buy it, because I convinced myself I didn't need 2 of the same manifold.

The one I have is from the mid 2000's. It has just "7516 weiand" cast on the rear side of the casting with a cast in boss on runner #5. This manifold is taller and the ports are bigger then the older model.

The newest model appears to have just "7516" cast on the back side of the casting, and it also has a cast in boss on runner #5. The weiand and xcelerator font on the front runners also appears to be different the the 2000's casting. The pictures of this one aren't real clear on height or port size, so I have no idea how it compares to the other two.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:12 am 

I ran one of the Xcelerators on a 2V back around 2000ish. Worked very well with a 750VS carb, including one of the old 84011 Holley "Looks kinda like a 4100" units. Great combo. IIRC at 3400 lbs with a 3.73 rear and 11" converter it was running 8.40s in the 1/8th (13.1xish 1/4). I never found a difference between using the plenum divider vs not, both with a 1" 4 hole spacer below the carb.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:07 am 

I bought my xcellorator in the mid 90s, so I'm sure the design is not the same as the new ones.
Like Chris, the motor I had mine on got down to high 13 teens in the qrtr, but I didnt have as much motor as Chris. Where mine made it up was with more gear and converter. I was using a 10" converter and a 4.10 gear. Holley 3310 carb, unported 2v heads that still had stock valves and bolt down factory rockers, standard bore with stock flat tops (shortblock was never apart from the factory), Crower hydraulic cam, cheap headers. It was running 13.80s with the performer. I bought the xcellorator from a buddy, bolted it on and didnt change anything else, including the 5500 shift point. Right out of the gate I remember it ran 13.20s. I cant remember the exact number, but I think it ended up running a best of like 13.18. It was a street car and a cheap "build" so I could drive the car again as it had been sitting for awhile without a motor in it.
I think it was an old version of this cam, but I dont remember it having quite this much lift. The rest of the numbers look as I remember, but I really think it was only like .512 or .520 max lift.
https://www.crower.com/camshafts/ford-3 ... 0-hdp.html
I'm sure I still have it out in my parts building somewhere.