www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 2v cleveland intake
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:47 pm 

I was thinking either the rpm air gap or weiand 7515. I have read where a few people had the air gap and they fit under the 69/70 hood. Not sure if the weiand Would fit or not. Or which would be better.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:44 pm 

The xcelorator fit under the hood of my '70.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:48 pm 

weiand 7515 is for a 302. 7516 is a Cleveland 2v. I'm not an Edelbrock fan but from what I hear, You cant go wrong with an RPM AirGap either. Guess it will come down to a height issue between those 2 intakes. Man I bet if you put the Weiand 7516 and a good 650 or 750 double pumper on it, those 2 upgrades will put a smile on your face like kv racing avatar :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:21 pm 

well it looks like either one will fit under the hood. i guess the air gap will work for either 2v or 4v heads which would be nice if i ever came across a set of 4v heads and wanted to swap them.

you think a 750 double pumper would be alot better than a 750 vac sec even though this is an auto?

wish i could find some dyno comparisons between those 2 intakes.

i bet a set of 4.10 gears would help bring out that smile too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:34 am 

Any of the commonly available intakes for 2v ports should fit under the hood. Only a few from down under are high rise and 2v port size/location, but they're pretty rare to find over here in the states.

An air gap will "work" with 2v or 4v heads. But it's only really made for 2v heads. You'll have to grind out the ports a bunch to get it to 4v size. IMO, if 4v was my goal, I'd get a 4v manifold.

Where are you at? You said you bought the car from kokomo, and I'm just across the state line in ohio. I have both an xcellerator and street dominator on the shelf if you want to make sure they clear the hood before you buy something.

With an auto car I'd lean towards a vac secondary. If you already have a 750 vac secondary, I'd keep it. If both are setup right, you won't see much of a gain between mechanical and vac secondaries.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:43 am 

I've run a Air Gap on a 302 - good intake, no problem pulling north of 6000. A 351C Air Gap would be my first choice. That said, you could also have a fuel problem. If that car still had the stock tank, pickup, etc - might remove and take a look at the tank pickup. On my Falcon, the crimp in the pickup line got down to what looked like 1/4" in the bend and was a severe restriction. The "sock", if present, could also be hindering fuel delivery. The first 351C in my car would sign off at 5200 like it had a rev limiter. Once fuel delivery was updated, 6500 was a normal thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:22 pm 

I’m in nw Indiana. Thanks for the offer to try them out. From what I’ve been researching most any of them will work. There was an rpm air gap on a Cleveland Facebook page for sale at a really good price about 3 hours away but I don’t see it any more. I’ll keep my eyes open for an xcelerator or air gap.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:45 am 

The Air Gap would probably be the better intake just cuz it's newer technology, but either of them will be an improvement over what you currently have.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:27 pm 

Thanks for the advise. I’ll keep on the lookout for an air gap or possibly an xceleorator. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:08 pm 

Read this before you go and purchase anything.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=995

That post shows a couple dyno tests from dan jones and dave mclain done several years ago on a 393 w/ aussie 2v heads. Dan and dave both were members here, but haven't been seen in some time. Anyways, those guys tested and rated those intakes from best to worst, and the xcellerator beat the air gap. The air gap might do better on an engine with a smaller displacement though, and it might also produce better manners on the street, so which one would be better isn't completely certain. Dan and dave both were members here, but haven't been seen in some time.

But what is certain, is that your current intake was dead last in the test.