www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:16 am 

kv racing

hopefully those iced branches are not to close to any power lines. I saw some local news video when I periodically had power of power lines going up in smoke. I'm pretty sure this was another factor of our extended no power issues. Might want to get your power company to start cutting or it could be lights out man. No good!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:37 am 

nova467spanker wrote:
kv racing

hopefully those iced branches are not to close to any power lines. I saw some local news video when I periodically had power of power lines going up in smoke. I'm pretty sure this was another factor of our extended no power issues. Might want to get your power company to start cutting or it could be lights out man. No good!!!

They come thru every year or maybe every other year and cut everything back from the power lines. There's a pretty good area around our lines that is clear. The branches that were low hanging were on a pair of red cedar trees our drive way runs between. I had been needing to cut some of the branches back a bit but had never done it. I went out awhile ago when it wasnt raining very hard and used some long handled pruners to cut the branches off. Actually made it easier to cut them back higher up since they were hanging so low. Once the ice melts there will be a lot more clearance than if I had just cut them back when they were dry.

Oh yeah, they cancelled work today due to the weather. I

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:38 pm 

The extended outages are the product of price focused utility regulation and lax oversight. If our equipment had been mandated to have low temp operational capabilities, this likely would not have happened. Same with the grid - if we were part of a secure, national tied grid with minimum requirements, we'd have been able to borrow power from the east or west utility grids. El Paso is on the western grid, not on Texas and they has zero issues out there. ERCOT and state leadership are going to pay a price for this, the fault lies in their laps. This situation has been known and discussed for 10 years - now we have had the "I told you so" circumstance. And millions suffered for it.

ERCOT is flopping between normal conditions and conservation levels by the hour. Apparently some units are still having trouble getting on line. Having been in a supplier to that industry, I remember a few things. The big thing is that there is a balance between load and capacity. The generators have some reserve, but all have systems that monitor output and temps in the unit. If load gets too high, or spikes, the generator - or whole plant - will trip off to save it's equipment. That can cause another spike, which can trip off another plant operating at the margins - boom, in a matter of minutes 30,000,000 are in the dark. why they started turning industrial customers, then whole cities off so fast - to try and save what capacity remained. It's really that fragile. And it's more fragile when you cant borrow power from neighbor grids to stabilize the loads. Which Texas can't. From what I've read so far, we came very close to a completely dark state. The post mortem on the tripped units should be a good read.

We have water now, lost it for 4 days. Got enough mud out of the house water to take a shower last night. We never lost power, I don't know why. About 130,000 in this area lost water, many had to do without power since Monday. Some on the rural water systems are still out. Until this minute when it's 40F, we've been 10 days below freezing. It was still 8F this morning. 3 people locally died in the cold. Unknown the amount of damage. There are service trucks with plumbing logos running everywhere. Tons of houses here built in 50s back. Usually pier and beam, no insulation in the walls or under the floor. So without heat, pretty quick if it's 20 outside, it'll be 20 inside. Our house was built in 2001. We dialed back from the normal 69 to 66 to save power Monday and it only took 30 minutes to lose 3 degrees. It got as cold as about 35 in the house garage. Never have I seen anything below about 45. Way off the charts.

Oh, and now the price of natural gas it going through the roof. So fuel adders on power bills may go nuts.

"Gas production has tumbled to a four-year low as a polar blast triggers blackouts across Texas and other central U.S. states, freezes liquids inside of pipes and forces wells to shut. Producers may take until March to fully restore supplies due to equipment damage, according to Charles Nevle, senior director for North American gas at IHS Markit.

At the Henry Hub in Louisiana, the delivery benchmark for futures in New York, spot gas traded at $20 or higher on Wednesday morning, according to two traders. That compares with a settlement of $16.13 on Tuesday and just $3.73 a week ago.

Supply for next-day delivery at the Oneok Gas Transportation hub in Oklahoma traded at $1,250 per million British thermal units on Wednesday, according to David Hoy, a trader at Dynasty Power in Calgary. That’s up from $999 on Tuesday, and just $9 a week ago."

It's going to be a long year I think.