www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:19 pm 

You're fine. 75 lbs is nothing to worry about. I had more than one stock rod motor that when it was below 60* outside would peg the gauge at 100 psi until it got some heat in the motor.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:56 am 

Nothing wrong with 75 psi. That's where it should run.

Plus your engine is happier not trying to pump that gear oil through the passages when it's cold.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:23 am 

Dont put gear oil in it, not even one quart. It smells really bad when you change it. Dont ask me how I know. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:31 am 

kv racing

lmao did you really put gear oil in your engine :o ? Man you must have really been experimenting ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:48 am 

The year was 1987, I was 17 years old and was driving a 1980 Ford Courier that had a 2.0 liter 4 banger. It leaked/burned a little oil. The oil level had gotten low enough it wasnt showing any oil pressure at idle. I put a quart in it, still wasnt showing on the stick. Found another half quart in the garage, put it in there, and now it was barely on the stick, but still really low, and no more oil to be had in the garage. BUT, there was a quart of gear grease. That poor abused little motor needed lubrication, I wanted to go to town, and my thought was "it's probably gonna take less than a quart, it's just thick lube, why not?"
It took about 2/3, maybe 3/4 of the bottle to get it just barely in the "safe" zone. Off to town I went. It carried pretty good oil pressure too. Remember, that thing only held like 4 quarts of oil total, so that amount was probably about 20% of what was in the system.
But man, when I finally had enough money to afford to change the oil, the stuff that came out smelled horrible. LOL
And this concludes our episode of "why dumbasses shouldnt be allowed to work on cars." :lol: :lol: