www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:25 am 

Almost done with the crank trigger mount - after chewing up a couple lbs of aluminum bar making spacers that didn't fit, not quite the right size, etc. I used .250 plate for the bracket so it should be pretty solid. Need the final spacer for the alternator mount top to position that item, and the wiring. Hope my existing harness works, MSD seems to swap colors on + and - for every type of pickup LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:29 am 

Without a timing light or pulling a plug, I turned the balancer to "near" 38, lined up the pickup on the wheel, got lucky and the rotor looked like it was pointed at #1. Ran some fuel into the carb and hit the key - and it lit right off. I'm feeling much better now. :D

Will officially set the timing and rotor phase when I'm ready to load the car. Fingers remain crossed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:51 pm 

I need to do a burnout in my driveway or something to release my anxiety. No racing last year till now. I did start it up the other day though. 3 heat cycles to make everything happy.

Chris be safe and have fun brotha.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:33 pm 

That's great. I sure hope it fixes all the ailments it has had.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:27 pm 

Looks like I have chased the demons out of the car - for now LOL. It didn't me off the hook without one more shot. First test pass it left clean - all right! - and at the top of second shut off. CRAP. Coasted off the track to a safe spot and tried to start it, but it for sure had zero fire at the plugs. Friend came to get me with a big quad and towed me back to the pit. I kept thinking "electrical" because it shut off like a switch. After some checking of setup, rotor location, harnesses and some weird power voltages I finally found a fuse in the feed line to the 7AL3 that had blown. Checking the harness revealed it was a short run of 12 gauge on one end and 14 buried in the split loom, with several splices. So we replaced that power run with a #10 from a direct battery connection to the 7AL3. No more problems. Made 5 passes, every 60' was 1.66. That was even with all the street cars and diesel trucks making passes. There were only maybe 4 or 5 bracket cars for the TnT. Last two runs, one right and one left, went 1.667/1.665, identical 330' right to the 4th digit, 7.674/7.670.

Now about those reaction times...I have work to do.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:59 pm 

Sounds like you have it whipped.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:09 pm 

Chris,

Good deal man. Bet your heart sunk when it shut off. My car did that a long time ago back in 2004 or 2005 when I took it for a spin on 377 in Roanoak. Just died. Got it home and found a power wire that came from the inside the firewall to engine had corroded and broke. Fixed and she was good until this year when I ripped all that old shit out of the car and re-wired the whole car.

Your R/T was because you were concerned about your car so you know that will come around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6